Sign in to follow this  
waltsuz

Work Horse????

waltsuz

I am coming here for a little guidance. I have a lead on a very nice 520H at a reasonable price . I have a 518H but I need something tough enough for pulling cut up logs and pushing gravel around on overgrown property we are clearing up. I would like to stay with a hydrostat but I am concerned if a 520 is up to the task. I considered an 8 speed but for convenience and ease I am hoping the hydro lift and drive will do it. Its going to get a workout, and my wife may be driving this thing also. I'm a wheel horse guy and a work horse is what I need. How well will  a 520 push and pull ???

ps: Help convince me to buy this thing, I really want it...Regards Walt

BTW: the tractor I am looking at is a 1988

Edited by waltsuz

zieg72

Go to youtube and look up zieg72.  I have a 64" snow plow on my 520H, never stopped it.  Pulls my trucks around the property when needed.  If I got traction, it will do it...  A 520H will handle most anything you can throw at it

Edited by zieg72

waltsuz

Go to youtube and look up zieg72.  I have a 64" snow plow on my 520H, never stopped it.  Pulls my trucks around the property when needed.  If I got traction, it will do it...  A 520H will handle most anything you can throw at it

Are there any years of this model to avoid, I know this is an early one but it has very few hr's on it.

zieg72

Are there any years of this model to avoid, I know this is an early one but it has very few hr's on it.

The newer ones they upgraded the steering with a forward swept axle and real car type wheel bearings and put a different hydro in it but the earlier ones were very respectable

zieg72

I just PM'd you

Tankman

My '90 520-8 can handle any task but, I would've liked the H. Hydraulic lift would be nice.

The '90 520-8 does have the swept forward axle and axle bearings. This is a great Stallion!

boovuc

I would think your 518-H would be up to the task. I don't think you'll see much difference between a 518H and a 520H unless the 518 doesn't have the Eaton 1100.

Any twin or 14/16 HP single would be up to the task. I think for some jobs you may ask of it, an 8 speed would be better than a hydro. Your tires and weights will be a big consideration.

gwest_ca

North American 518-H models used the light duty Eaton 700

Exported 518-H models used the heavier Eaton 1100

Garry

waltsuz

I am using the 518 for mowing, its a very good piece of equipment. I want a 520 to take to a piece of property used for a family camp spot. It will get left there over the summer months. I have a blade and wheel weight's off the 518 that I was told will need some modification to mount on a 520. I can make what ever it will needs to mount up. I may also consider ag tires for what I am going to do. I'm looking, there's several available that have my interest. My 518 does have the 700 trans, I don't want to tear it up. I really appreciate the knowledge base here, I have been helped here before and may ask for more opinions. Thanks everybody. Walt

sdwyer41

I don't know how strong the hydros are, but I was pulling a 12-14 foot 18 inch diameter log with my 310-8, no problem at all. So I can't see a 520 having issues with working.

waltsuz

I found a "92" 520. It comes with a 60 inch deck, a sno blower, weights and chains for 550.00..It has a little over 1000 hr's run time, couldnt pass it up. It gets picked it up this weekend. Supposedly everything works but the headlights and one taillight. I'll go over it, service it and sort it all out, it'll be dragging logs shortly, I hope...If anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it, Walt

• Like 1