Sign in to follow this  
DoctorHfuhruhurr

phosphoric acid

DoctorHfuhruhurr

Can anyone recommend a couple places to purchase a gallon phosphoric acid?  I've found small containers of naval jelly in auto parts stores but I'd rather get a gallon of the liquid.  SOI had suggested Home Depot in another thread but the ones I've visited didn't have it.  I also checked Napa, Advanced Auto parts, O'Reilly auto parts, Lowe's and Tractor supply.  My next stop is Grainger.  I've seen food grade phosphoric acid online but that's around $50 a gallon plus shipping.  Thanks in advance. 

Jeff-C175

Auto Body supply shop perhaps?  As I recall DuPont used to sell it as a "Metal Conditioner".  I'm guessing pricey too...

It's available in 6 packs at the grocery store... labeled as Coca-Cola!  :ychain:

• Like 1

dcrage

Doc -- Be careful with that stuff -- It can do serious injury to you -- You almost assurdely are looking at concentrated phosphoric acid -- Don't be breathing the fumes; don't get it on your bare skin; and have on REAL safety glasses

zieg72

$50/gal is a good price from what I know

groundhog47

One of the local paint stores might have it listed as another name under rust remover. Also some tool sellers may have it.

jaebo74

If you're wanting to remove rust, vinegar works wonders fairly quickly and is dirt cheap. Of course. if you want to spend more you could buy acetic acid. A word to the wise. don't leave the parts too long, the metal will start to become tangy and taste of pickles. :)

953 nut

Our Lowe's and Home Depot both cary Ospho which is about five percent in the paint department. The eighty five percent is not as bad as some other acids, but it will give you a mild burn if you get it on you. Also, being a strong acid it needs to be in a sealed container or it will pull moisture out of the air and overflow the container. Either way be safe and keep it away from cement products, it eats more than just rust! One other thing, if you heat up or weld a piece that has been treated with phosphoric the fumes could kill you, have a good fan behind you.

:USA: 

SousaKerry

We use some stuff at work called Hotsy99 that is mostly phosphoric acid and a fresh lemon scent.  It is intended to clean cement off of tools and equipment, we use it to eat hard water scale off of tooling.  It will eat cheap stainless steel if left on it too long and will go right through normal steel and aluminum.  We use it in an ultrasonic cleaning tank and I once heard a story about someone trying to clean their aluminum heads in one of our southern plants.  There wasn't much left when he was done.