Sign in to follow this  
njm1987

Is a man's word worth anything anymore?

njm1987

Ok this is just me blowing off some steam so please just bear with me for a few minutes.....

Last evening I found this ad for a 4 series wh that I wanted to buy. I talked to my wife and got her blessing as I always do before I even placed the call.

I talked to the guy for 5 minutes getting details about the tractor and at the end of our conversation I told him I was buying the tractor but since it was 2 hours away I could not make it down until Saturday. He said not a problem he would see me on Saturday. So I hung up the phone and went back to watching my step son's football game looking forward to Saturday when I can pick up my newest horse.

Now fast forward to this afternoon when i called the guy to let him know I'm going to be bringing my father in law along to help us load the attachments. No sooner did I get that statement out of my mouth he says "too late its sold first come first serve." It took a second to sink in. I said of course its sold im picking it up on Saturday. "No a guy came and got it last night, sorry".

To say the least I was a little irritated...not so much that im not buying the tractor but the fact that we had an agreement and he didnt even have the courtesy to call me when he had my number and say hey if you want it you better get down here tonight. If I wouldn't have called today I would've been banging on his door come Saturday.

I just starting thinking or more so wondering if in todays society does a mans word mean anything anymore. Can deals be done with a hand shake and that word. I dunno maybe I am old fashion..maybe it is my fault, maybe I should have just left the game drove two hours to get it and not assumed that it wouldnt be sold out from under me since I gave him my word and he gave me his.

This isnt the first time this has happened to me nor will it be the last. I understand the man with the cash is the one who gets the goods. Its just frustrating when someone goes back on their word.

Ok thank you, I feel better.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Glad your feeling better...

now go call about that other :wh: you were lookin' at.   :) 

zieg72

Depends on the man.  I've made deals, had better offers come by and passed.  A few deals were long distance pickups that had to be planned very similar to yours.  One actually fell through but I didn't loose any sleep on it cause my word is a handshake or contract.  In the end your reputation is all that really matters.  Sorry it happened to you cause I know how it feels to be on your end.  Something better will come up, they always do.

• Like 2

jbumgarner

I had a similar situation last year with a cherry 64' Chevelle.  I talked to a lady and agreed to be at her place as soon as she got home from work the following day.  I got there at 4 and no one home.  Waited around and called the lady's number a few minutes later and didn't get an answer.  I waited around and she pulled up with another lady.  Guess what no car.  I asked where the car was and she sold it at work that day.  I told her we talked the night before and guess what she said "first come first serve".  I didn't know I needed to ride an hour away in the middle of the night.  I felt the same way you did, but now if I call and they agree I go then don't matter how far or what time.  Sorry for my venting as well.  I guess I'm just a year late in my vent.

CRE1992

I know where your coming from I have been burned also. However I really got burned on this chainsaw deal for a $700. I traded 2 running saws and said that they needed work and told the person buying them. He said okay. so fast forward a week and he gets the saw. Next thing I know he is bad mouthing me on a forum calling me a scum bag when I said straight up they would need work. Being the nice person I am I sent him $250. To help cover the parts for the saws. It took me 3 weeks to get the money because I. had bills I had to pay and I did get him the money it just took longer than expected. Needless to say it takes time to build a reputation and only seconds to destroy it. However a moderator came on the forum and straightened things out because the guy was out of line and tried to make me the bad guy. I try to make everyone happy and disclose all information that I can. anyone who has dealt with me before knows that, But that guy pissed me off. But trust me when I saw a number of us have been in your position.

KC9KAS

Just last evening, my wife & I were discussing the fact that in todays world, a verbal commitment really doesn't mean anything to some people.

The conversation was about truck brokers she deals with everyday to get trucks to haul fresh/frozen turkey products nationwide.

Ken B

We have all been burned so many times it ain't even funny. Lots of sellers get burned as well. I can't count how many times I have held a tractor, a boat or whatever for someone that tells me over the phone to consider it sold and that they will be there on such and such a date. Many times that date comes around and I'm left there twiddlin my thumbs all day and the buyer never shows up. So, as a seller, unless I know and trust you, no mores holdsies....

Remember,  there are more good guys out there than bad guys. Wheel Horse's are hot items these days, there are plenty of people out there willing to cough up the dough for a nice one, especially a desirable model. I once held an outboard motor for a guy that was willing to travel all the way from Indiana to CT. to get it, but I'd have to wait a few weeks. Him, his wife, the two dogs AND the cat showed up right on time. I offered to fire up the barbeque for some dogs and burgers for lunch and they took me up on it, great time, great people.

• Like 4

njm1987

Thanks everyone for sharing, I knew I wasn't the only one who this has ever happened to, selling or buying. I just needed to vent.  Ken B you are absolutely right, there are more good guys that bad, the good guys though never seem to get the highlights. When you do something nice for someone, you can make a friend for a life time.

I woke up this morning, feeling all better, back on the hunt again :)

• Like 1

rydogg

Happens to me very often, the best thing to do when you see a great deal is pick it up immediately my truck and trailer are usually ready to go at a moments notice I work from home so I am able to come and go as I please.  A lot of CL sellers including myself have been burned by someone wanting an item held I will usually hold something for a day or more depending on the sincerity of the buyer.  I have also offered to pay for the item while the seller holds it (paypal or money order) but you will need to trust that the seller isn't going to rip you off.  I have only run into a few bad apples on CL but made a lot of friends/contacts I just picked up a heat houser for my Farmall H yesterday morning it was a pretty good deal at $25 so I told the seller I wanted it and would be leaving in 5 minutes.  Before leaving his place I left him my phone number for future small engine repairs or sales and I always ask them to watch for wheel horses and call me if they located one.

Edited by rydogg

Rboski

To expand on Ken B's comment, there are a whole lot of those good guys right here. I got my first tractor from Taycotrains, called him up at the beginning of the week and told him I had to have it but couldn't get down to NJ until the weekend, he took me at my word and when I got there on Saturday he showed me all his machines, shared some tips and tricks, helped me load the tractor and sent me home with some extras. It was a great experience and most certainly fueled my excitement for this new hobby. 

I sure hope that the few bad eggs out there don't sour things for everyone.  Those of us who do respect the value of a man's word sure do appreciate like minded people.  :thanks:

njm1987

rydogg, I completely agree, and I as a CL seller too have been burned.  Particularly my Hoyt I am trying to sell.   So I can understand why he did sell it when a guy with cash in hand showed up.  The thing that tipped my scale was I gave him my number and said, if you have to get a hold of me please call.  If not I'll be there Saturday cash in hand.  IMO it would've just been nice if this guy would've picked up the phone and say hey Nate, I have a guy that wants to get it tonight, can you make it tonight?  That's what I would've done.  Either way, it wasn't the first nor the last.  A little courtesy can go a long way from the buyer and seller.  A few bad apples can leave a sour taste, especially if the person is new to the hobby.

I do want to extend a thank you and an appreciation also to like minded honest people.  Deals can still be done and made on a word and handshake.  Not all is lost...not yet at least. lol

• Like 1

Trouty56

The only man's word I worry with is my own...that is the only one that matters... :)

• Like 4

DoctorHfuhruhurr

If you have an Android smart phone there's an app called Craigslistnotifica which is great for getting timely Craigslist notifications sent to your phone.  I've set up several Wheelhorse searches.  It produces amazing results.