Sign in to follow this  
David Upton

C-120 Steering Wheel

David Upton

Would like to replace the steering wheel on my C-120 but for the life of me cannot get the pin or set screw or whatever out of the old one. How in the world is this configured and who is the best source for replacement? Thank you all in advance for your help here.

daveoman1966

There is a 1/4" roll pin securing the s/wheel to the s/column.  It has been rusting in there for 35+ years.  First, buy a ROLL PIN PUNCH set.  Craftsman has a suitable set of 6 for < $20 bux.  Don't even think about drilling it out...roll pin is much harder than a drill bit.  Second, buy an aerosol penetrant to spray the roll pin and the top of s/column (under the s/wheel cap).  After a couple days of penetrant soaking, try to drive the roll pin, one direction or the other.  Don't be bashful....the roll pin is TIGHT.  If you fear crushing your hand or fingers, have an in-law hold the punch for you.  Once you have the roll pin out, try to drive the s/wheel DOWN just to break it loose from its family of rust. You can use an impact socket for this...just big enough to fit over the 3/4 dia s/column and long enough to smack with a big hammer.   When you get it to move down a little bit, wire brush all the rust from the top end of the s/column so the s/wheel will slide up without dragging on a bunch of old rust and crud.  Keep the penetrant flowing and twist the s/wheel back and forth while pulling up on it, grunting a prayer with every strain.

• Like 1

David Upton

Awesome response and thank you. Most of what you wrote I have tried but with timidity. Aggressive approach from now on.

boovuc

It will come out with the right punch and liberal amounts of PB Blaster or the like!

Shuboxlover

If you fear crushing your hand or fingers, have an in-law hold the punch for you. 

:laughing-rofl::ROTF: :ROTF: :hilarious:

Trouty56

Awesome response and thank you. Most of what you wrote I have tried but with timidity. Aggressive approach from now on.

I think what helps a great deal is to place a 2x4 or the like between the steering column and a tree to give the punch a solid blow on the pin. Just drive the pin into the wood. Lean he tractor back a bit to secure the board so everything is tight. The right punch and even a small hammer will easily remove the pin... The pin is the easy part....