farmboy6620

Was given a C-175 wheel horse

farmboy6620

I was recently given a C-175 wheel horse, its been sitting for 6 years and im hoping to get it running, but im wondering what its going to cost in parts.

C-160 Auto

That depends on what is wrong with it? You could get lucky and just clean the fuel system and install a new plug. Do you have spark?

SousaKerry

That particular model has a very bad reputation,  The original engine for that tractor is the Kohler KT-17 series 1, this engine was the black sheep of the Kohler family.  Basically the engine did not have a proper oiling system and the engines would tie up and throw rods through the side of the block.  Now if the engine has been replaced with a later KT-17 series II(or any other engine) then you have a great machine.  

Post us some pictures of the engine and tractor and we can let you know what you have.  When you crank the engine over do you hear any unusual sounds and can you tun it by hand?  Remove the plugs and turn it by hand and see if there are any tight spots. 

Fordiesel69

If by some rare occasion the engine runs good, limit its duty to flat grounds only.  Very slight up hill is ok, but not sideways or down hill at all. 

In generators, the series 1 is not as much of a problem as it just sits level at all times.

varosd

in addition to all the great adice above, also change all fluids/filters/ clean gas tank, change fuel lines oh and....

:WRS:

:wwp:

Butch

Farmboy I have A C-175 with the Series 1 engine. I use it only to plow dirt and snow. It gets a pretty good workout

when I do  the dirt. My only complaint is it sucks down fuel.

KC9KAS

Farmboy, I hope the above information hasn't scared you away from the Wheel Horse GT's.

Oh where are my manners.. :WRS:

leeave96

One thing to consider is this tractor's engine might have already been replaced with a newer Series II engine.

Edited by leeave96
  • Like 1

JackC

The Series 1 engine should be fine as long as it is not run on an incline.  If you do need to run it on an incline, front to back incline is less of a problem than side to side incline.  The engine manual for the Series 1 advises about the incline issue.

rwilson

I have been running my C-175 on inclines for years with no problems. Up, down, sideways on hills no problems yet. The main problem with connecting rods making a sight hole in the side of the block is from being run low on oil. I dont turn the key with out pulling the dipstick. Dont let everyone scare you about your C-175. get it running and keep the oil on the full mark and you will be fine.

Edited by rwilson
  • Like 1

Fordiesel69

I have been running my C-175 on inclines for years with no problems. Up, down, sideways on hills no problems yet. The main problem with connecting rods making a sight hole in the side of the block is from being run low on oil. I dont turn the key with out pulling the dipstick. Dont let everyone scare you about your C-175. get it running and keep the oil on the full mark and you will be fine.

Wrong to some extent.  Operating with a full oil level on a side to side angle will still equal a rod failure.  Happened a few hrs after my friend changed his oil.  Was the first lawn he mowed sideways.  Its a like new C-175 with a blown engine.  How far sideways is the million dollar question.  Any engine should be kept at full reguardless.  Its foolish to let it get down to ADD before you top off.  Even a tried and true Magnum single of K-series single can be starved at the add oil mark on an incline.

farmboy6620

thanks to all who gave advice, it was very helpfull. i will get some pics up as soon as i can. this site is very helpful!!!  :)  :)

• Like 1

dennist

The difference is the pressurized spray lube vs full pressurized lube, if you have the series-2 full pressure lube the spec # should be 24300 and up if original tin stayed with original engine.

farmboy6620

its a series 1 i looked last night, the spec # is 24223  :eusa-think:  :eusa-think:

dennist

The C-175 is still a great tractor. It was the very first WH I ever drove and that is what actually got me interested in them. It was my buddies tractor and he asked me to drop it off for service and when I got on and started it I was very impressed. His did not have the series-2, and it ran excellent up till 2 years ago, when he had an employee start mowing his lawn and now he has a series-2 and mows himself. He bought it brand new and maintained very well, when they go they go, till then I would enjoy it. As stated above others have had no problems and the rest of the tractor is bullet proof (with exception to the seat pan if not metal). IMO

DoctorHfuhruhurr

Free tractors are always good. :-D

sdwyer41

My neighbor has a C-175, don't know if it is a gen I or II, but he grades the gravel of our gravel road, and plows the snow off of it with the tractor.  It's a private road owned and maintained by the people who live there.  He mowed with it until a bearing in the deck gave out and spiderwebbed the deck around it. 

Wheel-N-It

The Series 1 engine should be fine as long as it is not run on an incline.  If you do need to run it on an incline, front to back incline is less of a problem than side to side incline.  The engine manual for the Series 1 advises about the incline issue.

I think I have read here somewhere that running an extra pint of oil in the series 1 is great insurance against engine failure due to being sideways on a hill.

JackC
From the Series 1 Operator's Manual: Do not operate at angles exceeding 20° and do not use multi-viscosity oils at temperatures above 32° F.

CAUTION: Do not operate engine
continuously at an angle exceeding
20° in any direction, or for more than 5
minute intervals at angles up to 30° in
any direction-as engine damage may
result from lack of sufficient lubrication.
Also consult your equipment owner's
manual which may have more stringent
guidelines as to angle of operation

due to equipment design.

Oil Type

Use oil meeting the requirements of
SAE service class SC, SO, SE, and SF.
Select oil viscosity based on the air
temperature at the time of operation,
as shown.
Air Temperature Oil Viscosity
Above 32° F (0° C) SAE 30
Below 32° F (00 C) SAE 5W-20 or
SAE 5W-30
Use straight weight oils as specified.
Do not use multi-viscosity oils above
32° F as considerable increases in oil
consumption and combustion deposits
will result.  

farmboy6620

Well i got her running last night, changed fluids, the spark plugs and put in a new battery and she lit right up! im so pumped. the hydro is still good even when its hot and the hydraulic lift works with no leaks! so far this has gone very well! the carb needs a good cleaning and i need new fuel hoses cause it spits and sputters once and awhile. i am very impressed and extremely happy! ill have pics up by Tuesday of next week! thanks to all who gave advice!

:banana-tux:  :banana-tux:  :banana-tux:  :banana-tux:  :banana-tux:

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

OK, you're on your way!!!  Looking forward to them pics!!!  (Lots of pics please)

Edited by Wheel-N-It

6wheeler

Welcome to the :rs: Wheel Horse addiction center. It is very nice to have another WH "soon to be" addict in Mn. Don't worry, we all started out normal. Soon thereafter though? You will want more. We are here to help. You may experience some of this  :scratchead: and :confusion-helpsos:   during your entrance into this addiction. However, there is a lot of  :twocents-02cents:  and :tools-wrench:  :teasing-signhere:  to help you out. Oh, and some of this :teasing-poke:  too. Good Luck with your first tractor. I have to go out in the garage and get my daily "fix"  :tools-hammerdrill:  :banana-wrench: .

boovuc

Another C-175 on the loose! YES!

I'm really glad you have it running! I was watching this thread to see if you could light it up and that the tranny is solid.

farmboy6620

its been running like crap, like its not getting fuel, i think the pump is bad, if there is a pump? ideas?????? please???? :eusa-think:  :eusa-think:  :eusa-think:  :eusa-think:  :eusa-think:  :eusa-think:

Jeff-C175

Yes, there is a pump, but there's other things it could be too... it sat for 6 years ... maybe water in the tank?  and also could be crud in the carb.