Sign in to follow this  
Pickle

Wheel Horse 417A

Pickle

I thought I would ask some of you about your experiences with engine to deck mule drive that eats belts. I installed a new TORO brand belt on my 417A and it was shredded within 3 yard mowings. The bearings and pulleys seem fine, everything turns freely ,wondering if I have some other problem.

Thanks,

Pickle

WH nut

Yes, you have a problem. You need to check alignment on all pulleys, and a picture of the install will help so we can see what you have going on

Pickle

I'll try to reinstall the shredded belt enough to get some photo's

AMC RULES

If you sight down the belt, all the pulleys have to be inline with each other...

goal is to get that belt as straight as possible to survive as long as possible.   :handgestures-thumbsup:

Pickle

More pics to follow.

post-11460-0-56073900-1379888310_thumb.j

• Like 3

Pickle

File 2

post-11460-0-16337200-1379889928_thumb.j

Jeff-C175

Is that deck just stuck under there for the photo?  I ask because it doesn't appear that the "Tach-a-matic" is 'engaged' fully.

Maybe something really worn out under there?

I don't know that this is why the belt is shredding, but you would need to eliminate that as a possibility...

Edited by Jeff-C175

Pickle

File 3

post-11460-0-38564100-1379890207_thumb.j

Pickle

File 4

post-11460-0-91305300-1379892487_thumb.j

Pickle

Is that deck just stuck under there for the photo?  I ask because it doesn't appear that the "Tach-a-matic" is 'engaged' fully.

Maybe something really worn out under there?

I don't know that this is why the belt is shredding, but you would need to eliminate that as a possibility...

The tach a matic may not be fully engaged & could be the whole problem, I also wondered about raising and lowering the deck while the PTO was engaged.

Pickle

File 5

post-11460-0-48054000-1379893234_thumb.j

Racinbob

The tach-a-matic doesn't look closed fully. Is the 'forked' part strattling the rod properly? Something else is bugging me. The pic in post #9 looks like the belt isn't twisted wrong but the pic in post #8 looks like it is. The backside of the belt should be riding on the wider pulley of the mule drive.

• Like 1

Jeff-C175

I also wondered about raising and lowering the deck while the PTO was engaged.

That shouldn't be a problem, I do it all the time...

dbartlett1958

When you unhook the drive belt, do the spindles turn freely? Any binding or drag?

C-160 Auto

Do both pulleys in the mule spin freely? Is it possible the mule drive tension was too tight or too loose?

Edited by C-160 Auto

Pickle

The belt in the picture is twisted and turned from when it flew apart.

Spindles turn freely and are well greased.

The mule pulleys spin freely as well.

Edited by Pickle

C-160 Auto

As someone else mentioned....that mid hitch where the deck mounts to doesn't look right.  With engine off....can the deck be pushed forward and backward by hand much?

• Like 1

Pickle

Don't know - I'm in the house tonight nursing a toothache - will try some things in the garage after a trip to the dentist tommorow. The belt tension may have been tighter than needed but I hate to see it flopping while I mow.

DoctorHfuhruhurr

I would also check the clearance on the bottom of the belt guard that's attached to the pulley's to make sure the belt isn't rubbing there.  It's not viewable in the photos.  

Wheel-N-It

I'm sure you will figure it out once your tooth stops hurting. Anyway, I just want to say thats a really nice 417 with the 48" Deck!

• Like 1

daveoman1966

I concurr with another member in that the FORK (or YOKE) on the Tach-o-Matic bar isn't oriented or locked in correctly.  The fork MUST engage the small rod at the top of the mid hitch to stabalize the deck.  For correct alignment, the FORK (on the 3/4" bar) should be tiltled slightly forward to engage the alignment rod.  If not, then the deck will slop back and forth, causing the belt flopping that the user refers to.  Furthermore, the belt should maintain tension when the deck is raised or lowered....this is the 2nd reason for the alignment FORK.  Here is the alignment FORK (I call it a YOKE,,,either way).    

• Like 1

Racinbob
Mower Rotary 48in SD 1995-1996 78360 OM #3316-954.pdf

Much better explanation daveoman. Check out the above manual which has a picture of the proper fork positioning. From the looks of it that seems to be your best bet.

• Like 1

Pickle

Mower Rotary 48in SD 1995-1996 78360 OM #3316-954.pdf

Much better explanation daveoman. Check out the above manual which has a picture of the proper fork positioning. From the looks of it that seems to be your best bet.

Great manual with super information - I think perhaps the last time I had the deck off I may not have had the fork engaged - also there is some play in the atach-a-matic. I will look into it in more depth when I am free and have some spare garage time available.

Thanks everyone!

boovuc

Nice machine!

Good Luck, Pickle!

Take a Darvocet and look at the tractor in the morning!

• Like 1

Pickle

Nice machine!

Good Luck, Pickle!

Take a Darvocet and look at the tractor in the morning!

If only I could!!! - 800 ibuprofen and amoxicillin for 10 days. Up for work at 6 sharp, perhaps this weekend new belt and more happy mowing time.

Edited by Pickle