TT

Low budget track toy

TT

I'd like to introduce you all to the 1970 Raider 10 that I purchased from "baerpath" Duane at the WHCC show in June!

WHCCshow2008051.jpg

The installation of the B-112 front axle, spindles, and tie rods - along with a mismatched pair of 3.50 X 6 triple ribs mounted on Craftsman narrow hub wheels is complete. :banghead:

Since the pulling track at the NAMA show is usually like cement, I bolted on a pair of 10.50 "turfies" mounted on 8.5" Bolens wheels. (less offset than OEM WH wheels)

R10luckytucky004.jpg

I still have to whip up a hitch of some sort, add a little weight, and build some wheelie bars, but since it's "all in good fun" at the upcoming antique show, I don't really care if it even moves the sled -- I just want to put another Horse in front of the crowd!

kj4kicks

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!

:banghead:

pond195520032003

looks alright to me TT :banghead: :horseplay:

rustyoldjunk

looks good TT.is it gonna get paint?

TT

is it gonna get paint?

Only what's already on it. :USA:

This one is more of a demolition derby tractor than a show tractor. :banghead:

pond195520032003

did he just say demolition derby tractor :omg::banghead: could always build a mad max tractor :USA:

TT

Today's update:

I whipped up a non-adjustable hitch/wheelie bar combination using part of an OEM drawbar and some scrap steel I had tucked under the bench. :banghead:

R10luckytucky008.jpg

Now all it needs a little ballast!

bell

Looks GREAT! I'm diggin' the 3-ribs on the front! Think I'll put those on the 1045, since I'll never find the correct tires... :banghead:

pond195520032003

Lookin good TT :banghead: :horseplay: :horseplay:

Stigian

The ol WH is looking good TT :banghead:

Are you going to remove the over spray from the decals?

TT

Are you going to remove the over spray from the decals?

I did take some of it off the other side and the headlight lens, Ian, but I ran out of lacquer thinner. (whatever that paint is, it is certainly stuck on there pretty good! :banghead: )

Here's the "progress" pic from the left side:

R10luckytucky006.jpg

The nicest thing about this tractor is that I still only have $100 in it! :USA:

kpinnc

Looks good TT!

One question though- you gonna save that seat? :banghead:

Kevin

TT

It looks much better in pictures than it does in "real life", Kevin. Since the back was already broke off the pan and reattached with angle iron, it only seemed fitting to remove it again so I can lean way back in the saddle like the real pullers (and drunken cowboys) do. :USA:

I suppose it is better than a lot of them you see, but it would probably disintegrate with much use. :banghead:

Duff

This one is more of a demolition derby tractor than a show tractor.

If'n that's the case, then I'm really diggin' those bolts stickin' out of the wheels that used to hold on wheel weights! Weld a couple of diamond-shaped arrow-head type thingies onto the ends of 'em and they'll look like the "spoke rippers" the old Roman charioteers used to rip the spokes out of their enemies' wheels. :horseplay: That'll keep the competition at bay! :USA:

Duff :banghead:

Rod(NASNUT)

It looks much better in pictures than it does in "real life", Kevin. Since the back was already broke off the pan and reattached with angle iron, it only seemed fitting to remove it again so I can lean way back in the saddle like the real pullers (and drunken cowboys) do. :omg:

I suppose it is better than a lot of them you see, but it would probably disintegrate with much use. :USA:

:banghead: I dont think it looks that bad in real life. Nice job TT :banana:

TT

Monday's update:

Unfortunately there are no pictures or video, but the Raider received a little ballast today. (and some testing. :omg: )

After a successful attempt at removing both rear hubs, (man, I wish I would have had a new axle seal here! :banghead: ) Hobie (my son, Nick) and I proceeded to install the Sears "donut" weights on the inside of the rear wheels, and a pair of home made flat plate weights on the outside. As a guess, (I should have weighed them. :USA: ) approximately 80 - 85 pounds was added to each side.

I tried to get Nick to hook in to it with his Electro for a friendly little tug-of-war, but he declined. I couldn't think of anything else to hook to for the test run, so I grabbed a chain and headed up the hollow road to find a tree. :thumbs: After we got up near the creek, I remembered a decent-sized tree that had fallen across the creek a few years ago. The chain was choker hooked to the tree and the other hook was slipped on to the 3/4" rod on the Raider's high-tech hitch. (an old piece of upper steering shaft. :D ) Throttle wide open and first gear hi resulted in the tree snapping in two in the middle and the Raider dug and pawed a little until we realized that an old branch of the tree was hung up on the edge of the bank! :lol: Once it was freed, second high was used to drag the tree chunk out in to the open where I immediately gave the wheelie bar a test in third gear with a "dumped" clutch! :horseplay:

After that piece of tree was skidded up the path and unhooked, I headed back down to pull the other half (including the gnarly-rooted stump) out of the bottom of the creek. We did have to lift the end up over the edge of the bank to get it started, and the roots got hung up on another tree once, but the old Raider drug it right up the path without a hitch. (pun intended. :D )

Now.... if I can just figure out how to get another 140-150 pounds on it, it should be ready to pull. (or at least attempt it! :lol: )

kpinnc

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:horseplay: :horseplay: :horseplay: :horseplay: :horseplay:

Kevin

combatmp29r

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

combatmp29r

:USA: @##$%@%@%#%4 Gator!!!!!! :banghead:

pond195520032003

TT, there is some stuff calle Goof Off that will take the paint off the decal :omg: also so will purple power(sold at dollar general) :USA:

could always go to a junk yard and look for some solid chunks of iron to add weight :banghead:

TT

Weighing in at 900lbs with driver, (Nick - a.k.a. Hobie) the Tecumseh powered Raider 10 put on a good show for the Wheel Horse fans at the NAMA show today.
The last thing I want to do right now is type a lot, so if a picture is worth 1000 words, a video should be worth millions. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjkzadKWF1c

I was feeling a little ill this morning so I let Hobie take the controls. I was extremely proud and quite thrilled when the Raider went cruising right on by me near the halfway point of the track. :horseplay: Good job, son! :eusa-clap:

kj4kicks

Well built, and well driven. Congrats guys!Sorry I couldn't stick around to see it, so I really appreciate the vid !YAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH !!

DOC in Kentucky

Congrats Nick and TT :lol::lol::D

Nick, You looked liked a real pro, leaning back and all :omg: This wasn't your first pull was it? Very impressive :banghead::USA:

And TT, the puller looked good and did a great job. You should be proud of both, :thumbs:

WH_Hobie

Well Doc, Thats the farthest I've ever made it pulling. (I've pulled a whole 2 times before this :omg:) . I'm looking into getting into pulling a little more. :banghead:. I would like to say a special :USA: to my dad, and maybe he and I will each pull one of our own in the same class!

mack1605

congrats Hobie on the good pull you have a real good crew chief :banghead: video was a good watch also mark