Sign in to follow this  
pacer

A quick & easy method of taping off/painting rims with tire on

pacer

This is not as good as removing the tire, but is a pretty painless way to get some paint on the rim with minimal overspray on the tire and its quick.We all want/need to spruce up a set of rims for some reason or other at times and removing the tires just isnt practical - so give this a try...

Clean/sand/scuff, whatever, the rim and clean the tire enough so the tape will stick well to the rubber. Using one of the wide tapes (the blue works well on this) get a strip down as shown in the pic and using a sharpish pencil push it between the tire and the rim and drag at an angle letting the pencil cut the arc out of the masking tape and pull it off. I find its easier to do one strip of tape at a time, the pencil doesnt want to cut two layers at a time as easy as one.

Next using a piece of newspaper, hold it over the rims edge and use the pencil to 'cut' out the arc of the rim making it much easier to get a large area covered with minimal fuss.

Of coarse there a little paint will get on the tire, but seems any of these types of taping off will allow some paint to get by, and this is the fastest, easiest way I've tried.

In this case I had bought two mounted 570-8 trailer rims/tires and the rims were powder coated in bright white and my D-180 needed almond, sooo...

post-9681-0-41062900-1379156606_thumb.jp

post-9681-0-71832400-1379156724_thumb.jp

post-9681-0-71129100-1379156883_thumb.jp

post-9681-0-79053200-1379157457_thumb.jp

• Like 3

AMC RULES

Also, If you air down the tire you can easily slip the edge of the tape under the lip of the rim.   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

• Like 2

pacer

Oops! I left out that little part -- yeah let the air out.

squonk

I have some adjustable metal rim maskers that I think I got from TP Tools. Metal bands that fit down in the bead groove and you slip a little plastic lock thingy in place to hold it. Then I get some plastic sheeting and cut around the masker to cover the rest of the tire.

jbumgarner

When I paint wheels I use a similar tactic, but about a month ago I was at a friends house who generally does restores on large tractors.  He had let the air out and smeared Vaseline all over the tire being careful not to get it on the rim.  He then sprayed the entire tire.  Once the paint dried he washed the tire with degreaser and the Vaseline and all overspray came completely off.  Wheel looked great when he was done.  I think it took nearly as long as masking off the tire, but I thought it was neat and worth mentioning.

Trouty56

Great Idea!!!  I remember reading a post a few years ago where a member shared using a deck of playing cards tucked in between the rim and tire after deflating.  I've done this with excellent results.  Whatever method you use do both sides of the tire to avoid over spray on the opposite side.....

• Like 1

Coadster32

All very good ideas for sure. :thanks:

Alan_Heist

I have some adjustable metal rim maskers that I think I got from TP Tools. Metal bands that fit down in the bead groove and you slip a little plastic lock thingy in place to hold it. Then I get some plastic sheeting and cut around the masker to cover the rest of the tire.

Do you have a pic of those, or a link?  Sounds interesting!

timo4352

Great Idea!!!  I remember reading a post a few years ago where a member shared using a deck of playing cards tucked in between the rim and tire after deflating.  I've done this with excellent results.  Whatever method you use do both sides of the tire to avoid over spray on the opposite side.....

I'm gonna have to try the card trick... :ychain:

Cool idea :handgestures-thumbupright:

546cowboy

That is pretty much how I do it but instead of a pencil I use on of those small box cutters where when it gets dull you just slide it out and break the tip off. That or an Exato knife. Then I take a rag soaked with gasoline and wipe any over-spray off the tire. To finish the job off I sometimes use that Miller tire paint. Now that's a nice look.

Edited by 546cowboy

timo4352

Well I tried the card trick this morning on my winter wheels. I used some old flash cards the kids had when they were much younger.

I cut the cards lengthwise so I could tape & card both sides of the tire at once - so they would sit flat when flipped over. It all worked so well and went so fast I didn't get any pictures. After these harden up for a week or so I'll mount them and do my summer wheels - I promise to get some pix then. I used Rustoleum Antique White and the color looks to be a perfect match for the Gravley front wheels I just put on the tractor. My 310-8 is an '85, but I like how the white wheels look better than the silver. I'd recommend the card trick strongly to would be wheel painters. It works. Deflate the tires and push down a bit on the tire to slide the card in between the tire and rim. Thanks for the tip.

Tim

• Like 1

Trouty56

I really like a success story.

pacer

Well as is typical on this site --- I started this post with what was a pretty good idea on painting rims and pretty quickly was shown it wasnt the only 'pretty good' idea and the card method seeming to be way better idea - I haven tried it yet but certainly will!!

Gotta love it when you can tap into all the ideas out there...

timo4352

:text-imsorry: - I hope you don't feel I hijacked your thread ,pacer. 

I did get some pics of the finished product and hope you don't mind me showing them here. It does a pretty clean job. I'm glad Bob T. posted the idea! I love the idea sharing too! :handgestures-thumbupright:  

9884420475_17fafe755a_o.jpg9884382535_713ab3fcf7_o.jpg

Trouty56

Well as is typical on this site --- I started this post with what was a pretty good idea on painting rims and pretty quickly was shown it wasnt the only 'pretty good' idea and the card method seeming to be way better idea - I haven tried it yet but certainly will!!

Gotta love it when you can tap into all the ideas out there...

You have a great idea and thanks for sharing it....the cards may be an alternative method....way better???....I would like to stay with an alternative method..... :)

:text-imsorry: - I hope you don't feel I hijacked your thread ,pacer. 

I did get some pics of the finished product and hope you don't mind me showing them here. It does a pretty clean job. I'm glad Bob T. posted the idea! I love the idea sharing too! :handgestures-thumbupright:  

9884420475_17fafe755a_o.jpg9884382535_713ab3fcf7_o.jpg

Nice job....I 'm glad you tried this way and posted pics.....BUT....this was another member's idea....I only shared his experience.....dang nice job though....

Marv

They all look great. Must ask. Was any sand blasting done. Wonder how that would work>

Marvin

squonk

Do you have a pic of those, or a link?  Sounds interesting! I don't have any pics and I believe they were discontinued