Ken B

Todays haul....not a tractor and not a boat....

Ken B

So....I have been looking after and feeding a stray cat at work for the past few months.  I happened upon her while I was sifting thru the pallet pile, she was looking pretty desperate and was wicked thin. The truck driver at work told me she has been there at least a year, he would often come upon her as he was getting his truck ready to roll early in the morning. She would usually run out from beneath his truck. Anyhow, I started feeding her and when I discovered she was living in the cardboard dumpster I had to make her a house. Believe it or not I would check on her a few times a day, she really enjoyed the attention and is very friendly! She would actually come into my open shop door and just plop down on one of my benches and chill for a few hrs. Yesterday while hanging out with her at break time out back near the pallet pile I saw a young coyote heading over to her cat house! Just before that coyote showed up for some reason she got up and took refuge in the pallet pile. Now I knew why and right then I decided she was coming home with me.

So....I bring her home today, I cleared out my shed and put her cathouse in. I figured I'd give her a half can of food so she'd know that this is where she now eats and sleeps. After about an hour or so I told my son it was time to open the door to the shed and let her do a little exploring. Within a half hour or so she was nowhere to be seen for the next few hrs. My son started to worry but I told him she'd be back, she is just checkin out the hood. The wife gets home and says, where the cat? I said I don't know, off checkin things out. Man was she mad I let the cat loose so soon telling me she'd never find her way back to a new home so soon. I didn't know any better, I've never owned a cat before, I just figured they could always find there way back home. It really didn't occur to me that the cat didn't know this is now her home. So now my son is real worried and now I'm a little worried to. Its now dark and me and the boy are now off wandering around the neighborhood callin here kitty kitty for the next hour or so without finding her. We get back home and I shine the flashlight in the back yard and we see green eyes, another here kitty kitty and she comes trotting right up to us! I really wasn't too pleased with my wife for putting a scare in us and making me feel like a total idiot. So, if there are any cat people in the house, how do I go about letting this cat know this is now home? I'm also wondering how to introduce the kitty to my beagle who just so happens to actually like cats. To top it all off I suspect this gal has a few buns in the oven! For tonight I locked her in the shed but I really don't think that is right. This week I'm planning a trip to the vet for shots etc. I wasn't planning on letting her in the house until I know she isn't carrying any types of disease etc. Thanks for any advice!

001_zps9187d18a.jpg

008_zpse688c9e0.jpg

• Like 4

DoctorHfuhruhurr

If you put food in there regularly it "may" stay in there from time to time but they tend to mostly do whatever they want.  

• Like 2

stevebo

Oh boy!! You should have brought home a tractor or new boat motor.... they are a lot less work!

• Like 1

Ken B

If you put food in there regularly it "may" stay in there from time to time but they tend to mostly do whatever they want.  

Then we will get along like clams because I tend to do whatever I want to do as well!

• Like 1

Ken B

Oh boy!! You should have brought home a tractor or new boat motor.... they are a lot less work!

i agree Steve, I'd never be able to forgive myself though if a coyote got to her. I have them up around me as well but I've never seen one walk thru my yard...

DoctorHfuhruhurr

They replicate like crazy though.  They can have two litters a year and I've seen their offspring have a litter the following year.  If you don't handle the kittens regularly they'll be ferral by about 10 weeks.  I caught one kitten once trying to help it out with eye antibiotics and it bit right through thick leather gloves.  It was very mean and very unhappy with me(but I fixed the eye infection).  

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Outside they have a very short life expectancy, maybe like two years or less...

so you gotta get her to the Vet asap if you plan on keeping her around long term. 

Our last house cat lasted twenty years...some I've read have survived upwards of thirty years.

Cats are really social creatures who are all about the routine, so feeding her at regular times everyday is critical. 

To locate her on one spot Ken, she needs to be introduced to a litter box asap.    

• Like 2

Coadster32

I agree with Craig on the litter box. (kind of like us on our thrown) :hide: . I had a cat for 12 years, mixed outdoor/indoor. We moved three times, and each time he adjusted just fine. This cat has been adapted to 100% outdoor living, and is used to answering to nobody. If you want to make it a house cat, it will take some adaption for sure, and even then still might not take. If they have an easy source of food, they will come back as well. I wouldn't worry too

much about him, as he's used to taking care of his own.

On a side note, my cat's name was Cody. When I had a boat back in the day, I named it after him...Coadster. (sound familiar). 32 was my old street address. :beer:

• Like 1

Ken B

The one good thing about living up on this mountain in the woods is that I get very little traffic going by my house being that it is a private neighborhood. Trip to the vet is planned for this week and last night she got introduced to the litter box....

• Like 2

squonk

We have had animals for years. They are part of the family. Unfortunately over the years we lost 4 pets 4 years in a row on Mother's Day weekend. Had to put a cat down on Christmas Eve. Needless to say When a holiday comes around I start watching everybody like a hawk. We currently have 2 dogs and 2 cats. Our house sits on a very busy street. I have a 5 foot fence around the back yard for the dogs to play. They do not go out front unless on a leash. Our neighbor has had 4 dogs hit in the time I've lived here. I am constantly rescuing their current dog who keeps getting loose. After one of our other cats died my wife wanted another, I said no because of that street. She convinced me that she wouldn't let it out. For her birthday 5 years ago we went to the shelter to get a kitten she liked in an ad. Well they we're having a 2 for 1 sale that day and this back and white kitten with pink ears kept climbing up my leg. Charlie came home too and they don't go out at all! But they rule the roost! :rolleyes:

image_zps8bc47349.jpg

image_zps587d15ce.jpg

image_zps567be704.jpg

image_zpsbb3dfc3a.jpg

• Like 2

RMCIII

Ditto what Craig said. Also, if you want an indoor cat, find a place that declaws. I only recommend doing the front claws. < All we have ever had done to our house cats. Usually APL, or Four Paws, will do that plus spay or neuter at very reasonable prices. Finally - be patient. If it has been an outdoor cat, it will want to go outside, and they will let you know. Providing toys to keep them occupied helps to keep them occupied.

Ken B

Mike: I can remember back in the day having to tie my dogs up when I was a kid. trouble with that is sooner or later the chain would get weak and break and then we had a loose dog on a real busy road as it seems that is always the first place they went. We lost a dog to the busy road when it got loose, at thirteen yrs. old I witnessed my dog get run over and it sucked real bad. I helped my Dad bury him. When I bought my house I used to keep my dog fenced in but sooner or later they would find a way out. Ten yrs. ago I bought a Petsafe under ground electric fence system and installed it. It was the best 300 bucks I ever spent! My Beagle Emma has only got out ONCE and it was my fault because I knew the batteries in her collar were getting old and I didn't replace them. Well, I certainly learned a lesson there! She got out and headed right up the road to Farmer Bills place. Bill has a few goats etc. As it turns out Emma enjoys rolling around in goat poop! When she finally came home my son let her in not knowing what kind of mess she got herself into! Luckily I wasn't far from the front door and I was able to act quick and scoop that dumb dog up real quick and back outside to the garden hose for a bath with soap and not so warm water!

This cat once had a home, some loser moved and left her behind, I'm sure she isn't a ferral cat. After she gets checked by a vet if she wants to come in the house that is fine. She'll have to put up with Emma's nonsense though!

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Actually, the cat we have now is the first one we've housed that wasn't declawed...

if you provide them multiple scratch posts around the house...they're pretty good about not marking up any furniture. Window perches are a must have also...because they really like height, and live to see out the windows. Around the house, cats are typically great little perimeter guards. Rest assured, day or night, Chloe knows before we do...what's going on outside.   :handgestures-thumbsup:  

post-3498-0-75437900-1379161361_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-82653500-1379163125_thumb.jp

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 2

stevasaurus

Don't worry about that cat running away...once you have something outside that is theirs, they know how to get back.  Also, there will be no mice problem with your horses any more.  I've never named any of our cats...they never come when you call them anyway...unless they want to.  It looks like they love to play with cicadas also. :)  Know that they will range and stake out their territory...then they will seldom leave that area.

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 2

squonk

My dogs have gotten out once in 10 years, when I left the gate unlatched. I found them checking out a yard sale down the road. Now a dog at my back door neighbors yard started knocking down the fence. I had to run a bolt thru the post to repair it. My goofy cats know their names. I have lots of high perches for them to patrol the yard. I miss my other cat. He was a weather cat. He could predict a storm 4 hours before it hit. Here is a pic of the fence that stupid Great Dane knocked over. He think he could tackle Stevasauras! :)

IMG_0068-1_zpse22c2bf1.jpg

Edited by squonk
  • Like 1

KC9KAS

You don't own a cat....It owns you!

• Like 2

953 nut

As I write this my cat is sleeping on my lap, she adopted us as a stray about five years ago. I have had cats all my life and have never gone looking for one, they have found me.

Don't know how you will go about introducing the cat to your dog. One place I worked we had a rottweiler as a guard dog. A stray cat showed up one day and I took her into my office, she loved it and made herself at home. The first time the dog came in the cat jumped on her head and rode the rottie all the way to the packing house, the dog wouldn't come near the office for weeks! One day the rottie came in, lay prostate on the floor  and cried; the cat came over and started rubbing noses with her. From that day on they were best buddies, the cat even let the dog nuzzle her newborn kittens.

As others have said, a good scratching post and window purches are a must. Ours is carpeted and has several purches on it, she LOVES it.

:text-thankyouyellow:                                                                                         :text-goodpost: 

:USA: 

Ken B

Don't worry about that cat running away...once you have something outside that is theirs, they know how to get back.  Also, there will be no mice problem with your horses any more.  I've never named any of our cats...they never come when you call them anyway...unless they want to.  It looks like they love to play with cicadas also. :)  Know that they will range and stake out their territory...then they will seldom leave that area.

First dead mouse today! She is already earning her keep. If she can take care of the problem that we have with mice getting up into the attic and having a filed over our bed room in the winter my wife will love the cat for life! There is no access to the space over our bed room. The friggin mice will keep us up all night! I have done everything possible to get rid of them but they always find their way back up there.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Ken...enter the cat...problem solved. :)   I used to get mice once in a while...not since we have had cats.  That is a real plus.  Once in a while they will bring the kill up for your approval...be sure to acknowledge that.  If you want to have some fun with your new cat...consider a little cat-nip...ours likes a little Pink Floyd...the Division Bell album with hers. :eusa-think:

It is the simple things in life that mean the most.

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 2

neil

after a couple of days you will just love having her /him around , Cats can be great fun & very affectionate , here is our cat Tilly hanging out on the sun lounger with Coco our  Rabbit .

When we take our two dogs for a walk round the local park , Tilly comes too .  To watch the two dogs & cat running round the park together is hillarious

post-2119-0-81366900-1379214129_thumb.jp

Edited by neil
  • Like 1

Iggy68

We have four cats. Combination indoor/ outdoor. Actually they do whatever they want. Ours are proficient killers! They always bring their kills up to the house to show us. The list is actually impressive of what they keep out of the yard. Snakes, field rats, squirrels, grasshoppers, mice, moles, chipmunks, rabbits, and birds. It seems like we are disposing of the kills every other day. This year we kept track of how many snakes they have killed, we are up to 17. Good luck with yours!

• Like 1

Ken B

I was in the yard today when I looked over and saw a good sized cat had entered the yard. I know this cat to be a male. He walked up to my cat and when he got close enough to her she slapped the hell outta him and he was off and running! I hate to do it but around 8pm I give her a little food and then I lock her in the shed for the night. I figure she has a nice house I made her with a comfy bed in it to sleep or rest in and be safe from any creatures of the night. It can't be all that bad?

I was working on a tractor for a good part of the day today in my yard. she sat right next to me almost the entire time and followed me around just about anywhere I went.

• Like 2

squonk

One of my cats follows me all around, He'll sit on the side of the tub between the shower curtains while I take a shower. :scared-eek:

Coadster32

My old cat was basically a dog in a cat's body. would hang out with me anywhere around the house. At dinnertime, would sit up in the empty chair like he was dining with us. Defiantly an awesome personality.

• Like 1