Sign in to follow this  
leeave96

K321 From JD to Wheelhorse????

leeave96

I've got a Kohler K321 14 hp engine from a John Deere garden tractor - probably a model 214.  I originally bought it thinking I might use it in a IH Cub Cadet, but the block has ears that make it unusable for a Cub.  I thought the engine might need a rebuild, but looking at it, the cylinder and piston appear to be in great shape and there is a new rod cap on the crank - which makes me think maybe there's been a rebuild on this engine in the not so distant past.

I'm thinking this engine with it's bottom flange arrangement will bolt right to a flat cast iron oil pan used on the Wheelhorse tractors - just don't know.

Anyone ever used a JD/Kohler K series engine on a Wheelhorse?  I don't have an application for this engine yet - but thought if it can be used on a Wheelhorse with little or zero modification to the engine (other than oil pan) and tractor, it might be a great spare to have on the shelf or an engine for a future rolling chassis tractor.

Oh - the engine does have a 1 inch crankshaft, so I gather I'd have to get a sleeve for that to work with the PTO.  What about the PTO thrust on the engine vs a Kohler made for a Wheelhorse?  Any concerns there?

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Bill

pfrederi

I used a KT17 from a JD on a C175.  Best thing would be to look up the spec number on Kohler website and see what was used for crankshaft bearings.. I believe all teh K series had ball bearing but am not sure.  The JD KT did NOT use ball bearings (i had to switch to an electric PTO).  I would think the block should bolt to a WH oil pan...but watch out for the dipper.

ol550

As long as there isn't any green showing.  The throttle and ckoke cable hookup points may have to be relocated. 

Nothing major though.  Not a bad idea to kill a Deere to save a Horse.

• Like 2

SousaKerry

I did that swap once on my C-125 before it became a C-175.  Swapped the oil pans changed some of the tin work and it worked ok till it started making rod noises.  I have heard that the JD engines did not have thrust bearings that would support the PTO but mine worked for over a year, but then again maybe that's why it was getting noisy.  You will have to sleeve the crankshaft or use a PTO off of an 8 horse tractor.

leeave96

Thanks for the replies!

A little more info.  I measured the crankshaft stub coming out of the engine and it measures 1" x 3.5 inches long.  I also looked at the Kohler Magnum on my 314-8 and the block on it looks pretty much identical to the engine out of the Deere.  The Magnum has ears on the engine that appear to bolt to the oil pan - which bolts directly to the frame on the 314-8.  I think I've got a good spare on my hands.

What I need to do is rig up a fixture of some sort where I can mount an engine, hook a battery to it and a switch for a start and run on a bench.  That would be mighty handy for debugging an engine prior to going to the effort to put it in an engine.

When I bought this engine, I originally was interested in a K341 for an IH Cub Cadet of mine.  The guy had this engine, mentioned it came out of a JD, but being new to IHCC's, I didn't know/understand Kohler had a couple of different block configurations.  So I bought the engine thinking I'd have a spare Cub Cadet engine when unknown to me, what I had was a spare Wheelhorse engine - LOL.

Now I have two 14hp engines for Wheelhorse tractors.  I picked up a 14 hp Magnum engine last week off a fellow when I was out and about on a business trip.

Thanks!

Bill