Sign in to follow this  
clintbigred

18hp Magnum potential

clintbigred

My kid wants a puller so I found a B-80 and I have a 18hp Magnum. What are the hp prtential out of one of these and what kind of mods are guys doing to them.

Thanks

Jim_M

The only cheap mod would be milling the heads. You can contact Hackman or Vogel and get the cam reground and do a 3 angle valve grind for a little more power, but then it starts costing more money. I don't think anyone offers an adjustable flywheel for the magnum so the only way to advance the timing is to put a crank trigger setup on it.

You would be better off with a Kohler Command V twin, if you want to go twin cylinder, there are tons of performance parts available for them.

Edited by Jim_M

baerpath

Lakota and Super Cub both offered a adjustable flywhell for magnum twins.   You can also swap the rods and jugs from a mag 20  or if you can find one use the crank from a KT19 or KT21. I have a Vogel cam in my KT it worked well .

chris11

I machined the coil mount so i could ajust timing. 3 angle valve job bored 40 over. put a # 30 carb. Removed magnets from fly wheel, took off stater. machined heads about .020. ajust valve lash. I havent ran out of power at all. 0703121814.jpg

clintbigred

Thanks for the tips. Chris where did u get urn pistons at?

chris11

I got the parts from Parts tree just a .040 over