Sign in to follow this  
Niederwimmer

Batteries...To Buy, or Not To Buy

Niederwimmer

Hey everyone!!! So as I've been steadily working my way through these Horses I found...a few things have become abundantly clear.

1:This is a seriously addictive hobby

2:All of my barn find horses run like a top...albeit with quite a bit of cleaning and tuning

3:I really like the sound of a C-161

and 4:All my batteries are crap

Now, here is the million (or at least 300 hundred) dollar question...do I buy 9 new batteries for all of these horses, or do I sell the horses without batteries at all? I intend on bringing 6 horses to our Warsaw meet up in a few weeks, but I'm not sure whether it would benefit me at all to buy new batteries for them, or just jump start them and drive them to where they hopefully sell from. I don't want to waste a bunch of money on batteries if I can't at least get that value back out of them. Any thoughts? Looking forward to seeing you all in a few weeks.

Ryan

"D"- Man

I would not buy all new batteries I would maybe buy one that would be correct for one of your keeper tractors, take it with the six tractors you want to sell. Anytime a potential buyer wants to have a listen to one start, hook-up the new battery in that one, start it take it for a spin then remove the battery. When you return home you have a brand new battery for one of your keepers! Mark.

DoctorHfuhruhurr

Since you're planning on selling I would use a one good battery to swap in/out if any of them need to be started.  If you were keeping them you could always get quick connects for batteries.  They are handy. 

Butch

Unless I was buying a fixer upper I would not buy a tractor without a battery.

Tankman

Take one battery to the sale. :eusa-think:

Kelly

I agree ^^^^^ buy at least one maybe two new batt. and give the buyer the option to buy it with or with out the new batt. installed, I do it all the time, I buy cheap ones to put in sellers, sometimes the buyer wants a nicer one and will opt to buy their own, I do offer to give them a junk batt. so they have one for the core charge. 

546cowboy

Wait a minute here. You are trying to sell these tractors and you don't want to spend $30 on a battery. I guess it depends on the condition of the tractors you are trying to sell and how much you are trying to get for them. I refurbish the tractors I sell and they will usually get a new battery. If I sell a parts tractor or one that I haven't done anything to, then it won't get one. That little detail could make or break a buyers decision to buy and it's not just the fact it doesn't have a battery. It says something about you as a seller. What other things did you not want to spend a few bucks on? If you are planning to sell them in the $200 range I can see that but if you think you can $400 probably not unless the buyer really wants it. :twocents-02cents:

You could invest in a jump box instead of buying 9 batteries if that's the way you want to go. Just saying.

• Like 3

squonk

I see tractors for sale all the time. "Needs a battery" and they want top dollar. If you call they want you to bring one and hook it up yourself. Unless it's a great tractor I say you can keep it!

• Like 1

redidbull

I recently sold a Toro and took the battery from my WH to show it ran. Buyer had no problem with it. I just priced it a few bucks less because of no battery. Jim

squonk

I have 3 tractors that I keep that take the same battery. If I get a tractor to sell that needs a bat., I buy a new one and replace the oldest battery in the fleet. That way my tractors have fresh batteries and the one I'm selling has a decent one.

• Like 1

Niederwimmer

Good advice guys. The main reason I'm asking 546Cowboy is that I haven't spared any expense at all getting these running. I've spent countless hours cleaning out rusty gas tanks, rebuilding carbs, covering myself in varnish on accident, occasionally spraying gas in my face lol, and overall having quite a time just to get them running. After 3-4 years of sitting, you can imagine my experiences over the last few months. The batteries were really just my final expense in what has not been a cheap endeavor already. To most of you these tractors would still be considered works in progress if you are looking for 100% original, collectors quality tractors. I on the other hand think they are in great condition as is. And they run like tops! I'm looking forward to this get together.

JackC

I would not buy all new batteries I would maybe buy one that would be correct for one of your keeper tractors, take it with the six tractors you want to sell. Anytime a potential buyer wants to have a listen to one start, hook-up the new battery in that one, start it take it for a spin then remove the battery. When you return home you have a brand new battery for one of your keepers! Mark.

Jesus Christ has spoken.  Where can you get better advise?  I agree with Mark.

Niederwimmer

Good point

diesel cowboy

You could try calling a local salvage yard and see if they have any that would fit.  The 2 near me sell used batteries with a 15 day warranty.  When I got one for my truck it was only $30 and I think the lawn mower batteries were only $10-15.  Dont know what theyd sell them for near you but it might be something to look into.          Stewart

Save Old Iron

I would view the lack of a battery as a good example of truth in advertising.

I believe the seller is showing integrity and a level of respect to the buyer by not trying to pull one over on me with a "15 day special".

It is the same issue we have discussed ad nauseum, applying a $300 paint job to a tractor and expecting it to sell for $300 more. Adding a new $200 set of tires and expecting to sell the tractor for $200 more- you are just not going to get that money back.

P.s. If I buy my own battery, I have my own receipt to get the item exchanged if it does not happen to meet warranty.

• Like 1

546cowboy

I didn't mean anything derogatory about your particular situation or mean to imply that your tractors weren't well done. I was looking at it from what a buyer might think. You do need to get a jump box though. It comes in handy for a lot of things. You know like the guy who says it runs but I don't have a battery when you go to pick one up.

Niederwimmer

Haha I know man, it's all good, I do have a jump box and it works quite well...thanks for all the advice guys.

JimmyJam

The few tractors that I have bought had a BATTERY (all of them DEAD, and had to be jumped), If it sounds good, looks restoreable, then the first few things I do is replace all fluids and install a new battery! Let's keep this so simple: If you have a tractor for sale, price it fair, show the buyer it starts and sounds nice and sell it! The buyer chooses to buy it accordingly! If you are selling a show queen, then it better have a new battery! End of story!

leeave96

I wouldn't buy a new battery, unless you think you can get enough money out of the sale to cover the battery.  If you have the old battery and could jump it to show the tractor runs, that would be the way I would go.  One thing the buyer gets is a core they can exchange for a new battery on their dime - so it's not a total loss.

I've got a fleet of tractors and they are all expected to be workers.  This year I bought at least 4 or 5 batteries, all 420 CCA batteries.  Not cheap!  Sometimes I think if I had a brain, I skinny the fleet down to two tractors - like it use to be, and instead of pouring money into multiple batteries, deck blades, and other fix it stuff, I could buy some chrome hub caps and some polish - LOL!

Good luck,

Bill

welderman85

I wouldn't buy new ones. I would have one there to start. When I go look at a tractor I usually look at big dollar items that might need work,replacing when I pick up a new horse I just always factor in that it will need a battery