Sign in to follow this  
Hodge71

42" Rear discharge issues

leeave96

I just ran out and mowed one of the few green areas in my yard (over the septic tank drain field) I took some pics but it doesn't show the detail that I see with my eyes. The high strips don't seem to correspond with the anti scalp rollers. Its more of a general smattering more towards the center of each blade and very much more pronounced on the center blade compared to the outboard blades. I just pulled the deck off as it almost appears the the blades aren't on correctly and therefore pushing the grass down instead of creating a vacuum to make the grass stand up straight as it gets mowed. Blades on correct so now I'm really puzzled. I wonder if the K-341 isn't at 3600 RPM therefore the deck is slow? I guess I need to buy a tach before I do anymore troubleshooting. I wonder if Harbor Freight sells them. I know if i put the mower drive belt on the other pulley it turns faster but doesn't have the torque in really heavy thick grass and the belt may slip or the engine bog, at least I was told that before.

If the center of your blade is dishing out the cut a bit, you might have to much back to front drop.  The tip of the front blade should be about 1/8 lower than the rear of the blade.  Also, your anti-scalp rollers shouldn't be touching the ground unless you hit a rise in the yard.  Is your deck riding only on the rear wheels?  The deck is ground supported, but only by the rear wheels.  The front and sides of the deck, including the anti-scalp wheels at the front, shouldn't be touching the ground.

Hodge71

I just ran out and mowed one of the few green areas in my yard (over the septic tank drain field) I took some pics but it doesn't show the detail that I see with my eyes. The high strips don't seem to correspond with the anti scalp rollers. Its more of a general smattering more towards the center of each blade and very much more pronounced on the center blade compared to the outboard blades. I just pulled the deck off as it almost appears the the blades aren't on correctly and therefore pushing the grass down instead of creating a vacuum to make the grass stand up straight as it gets mowed. Blades on correct so now I'm really puzzled. I wonder if the K-341 isn't at 3600 RPM therefore the deck is slow? I guess I need to buy a tach before I do anymore troubleshooting. I wonder if Harbor Freight sells them. I know if i put the mower drive belt on the other pulley it turns faster but doesn't have the torque in really heavy thick grass and the belt may slip or the engine bog, at least I was told that before.

If the center of your blade is dishing out the cut a bit, you might have to much back to front drop.  The tip of the front blade should be about 1/8 lower than the rear of the blade.  Also, your anti-scalp rollers shouldn't be touching the ground unless you hit a rise in the yard.  Is your deck riding only on the rear wheels?  The deck is ground supported, but only by the rear wheels.  The front and sides of the deck, including the anti-scalp wheels at the front, shouldn't be touching the ground.

The front of the deck is not touching the ground when I mow. It is supported by the rear wheels only. and I leveled the deck by parking the tractor on my concrete sidewalk and putting a 2 foot level on the deck. I leveled the deck in that manner and the turned the rear trunnion nut 1 full turn as the quality of cut manual states. I guess I will have to check the center blade for level. I figured if the deck was level the blade should be level also. Not thinking the spindle could be out of level therefore causing the blade to be out of level. I guess I will have to check that now.  

brandonozz

If I'm reading this correctly you have the belt on the smaller pulley on the outside. I believe the belt should be on the inside pulley which will turn the belt (blades) faster and give a better cut. In my experience the tension spring will let the belt on left and right blades slip before the center blade/PTO belt will. In my case, the slipping was due to dirt/crud under the slide bar limiting it's movement. Edited by brandonozz

C-160 Auto

Hodge....did you figure this out?

Hodge71

Nah...was a long weekend with my son filled with drag racing Friday night at our local track, 410 sprint cars last night and today was filled with the Jeep in 4 low rambling around the woods for about 6 hours. Just got home and I'll tear into it tomorrow.....

• Like 1

312Hydro

Nah...was a long weekend with my son filled with drag racing Friday night at our local track, 410 sprint cars last night and today was filled with the Jeep in 4 low rambling around the woods for about 6 hours. Just got home and I'll tear into it tomorrow.....

Sounds like a perfect weekend. :handgestures-thumbupright: :handgestures-thumbupright:

Hodge71

Ok guys so I tore into it this morning and found lots of little issues but the big issue was definitely the wrong blades. I found that this deck has been welded on before. There are about 4- 6 welds (Ok maybe it was bubble gum stuck to the deck, at least they looked like bubble gum) of various degrees radiating from under the rear deck hanger bolts. I guess maybe it spider cracked at one time or another. Those bolts were loose so I tightened them. I found the right hand hanger bar worn pretty well so I will be making or buying a new one over the winter. I replaced the deck belt and blades.

Heres a comparison of the blades I was told were 42 RD blades VS the correct 42 RD blades from my Toro dealer. As you can plainly see the original Ebay blades were definitely wrong.

post-1339-0-38707100-1379354375_thumb.jp

post-1339-0-38224600-1379354394_thumb.jp

post-1339-0-14856400-1379354409_thumb.jp

I never second guessed anything because the Gator blades were the same size. Shame on me for not checking further I guess.

I ripped off a couple passes and it mows 95% better. Not as good as the 60 incher I have on the 18 Auto but that tractor doesn't run worth poop right now so this'll do for this year I guess.  I think this winter is going to involve tearing this deck completely apart grinding off the bubble gum welds rewelding all the appropriate areas correctly and making it perfect. I will also be finding some 3/8 cold rolled round stock and bending and welding it in place from one end of the deck to the other in the front. Similar to what they did in later side discharge models. Topped off with fresh coat of paint top and bottom and some new wheels and anti scalp rollers. I bet it will last another 40 years easy!!!

Edited by hodge71
  • Like 1

varosd

Jeff,

I guess longer is better...mower blade length that is!! :D

diesel_junkie

a little off topic but im looking for pullies or the part numbers of the pullies that twist the belt and provide the tension for the belt for a mid 70s c-120 i found a parts catalog on here for anything you could think of to build the tractor from the ground up but not the pullies im looking for any help or suggestion would be great thanks

gwest_ca

The front idlers are in the parts lists for the mower decks.

Garry