Sign in to follow this  
Raider12

3 Point Hitch for a 520?

Raider12

Is there a 3 point hitch made to fit a 520 or is this something that isn't available?

pond195520032003

sorry, but none available for the 520! its something you would have to have made or build your self :omg: the only horses with 3pts are the GT14, C-195 and the D-Series tractors! there is a link somewhere :thumbs: for a 3pt hitch one of the members built :USA: someone will steer you in the right direction :banghead:

kpinnc

Hey Raider,

I built one for my Bronco, and Nick built one for his Load Ranger. I'm pretty sure both or our build threads are still in the "chassis modifications" portion of the forum. Here's a pic of mine:

muledrive200.jpg

I recently picked up a 520 myself, and have had some discussion with a couple folks about making one for it as well. The main problems to overcome would obviously be the location of the fuel tank, and the lack of places to bolt the hitch components to on an Eaton. I guess the possibility exists to drill and tap mount holes in the transaxle, but I'm not sure. The Sundstrand trannies had 4 bolts on top of the transaxle case, so it was a fairly easy fix...

My Bronco, for all intents and purpose, had a ton of room to work with. Nick's LR on the other hand, did not. He might be a good person to speak with about this too.

Regardless of how you do it, I have little doubt you'd definately need to cut a notch in the rear fender. I also believe you'd need to re-locate the tranny oil filter, but that wouldn't be very hard. If you could fab a fuel tank with a bit of a different shape, you might get away with where it's currently located.

I need to shut up and change the subject.... :banghead: I don't need to get those wheels turning.... :USA:

If you decide to do it, please post pics. And good luck!

Kevin

sorekiwi

This is an idea I had a while ago, and I havent had a good look to see if its actually possible, but....

How about using a normal old blade hitch bolted on the tranaxle for the mounts for the lower arms? If the arms were mounted outside the hich I think there would be enough angularity to raise the hitch up.

Havent got as far as to work out what to do on the top, or for the ram.

Thats really nice Kevin, I dont remeber seeing a pic of the finished product. :banghead:

kpinnc

How about using a normal old blade hitch bolted on the tranaxle for the mounts for the lower arms?

****SIGH******

You just HAD to do it, Mike..... :USA:

I wonder if you could use the "old style" rear hitch (or a similar fabrication), mounted backwards? It would place the pivot point just behind the axle, instead of under it, so you'd have all the room you'd need...

A dual acting cylinder could be used on the pull stroke, mounted lying down, in the channel under the tank, using the pivot for the drawbar/ slot hitch for the lift arms....

Now to figure where to mount the top link... :banghead:

Lotta fabrication to do it right.

Dangit! :omg:

Thanks for the compliment Mike!

Kevin

sorekiwi

You just HAD to do it, Mike..... :USA:

Sorry :banghead:

kpinnc

Sorry

Just kidding Mike!

I have to be careful about getting too wound up in a fab thread. Things like that cause me to loose sleep and get flash burns on my left arm. When I don't come out of my building for two or three days at a time, the wife get's a bit grumpy too! :banghead:

The Bronco's 3 point was ALOT of work, and I can't tell you how many hours I spent just staring at the thing before I got finished with it. There is easily just as much under the fender that was fabbed as there is on the outside. I've always joked that I'd never build another.

Then I got the 520... :USA:

Ya just never know what I'll do, given enough ideas and time.

Kevin

Nick

The 3pt Kevin built is a nice looking piece of fab work. :banghead: Makes me think about working on mine again. After my 3pt was up and working I did my normal abuse testing then lost the ambition for doing the finishing touches. Partly because when I do get started working on it again I wont be able to resist making changes. :horseplay:

trailerhitch004.jpg

Not much room on the Ranger.

rear007.jpg

3 point hitch Test video

sorekiwi

Another thought for the lower mount (havent got my head around the top yet...)

How about replacing the rod that holds the standard hitch on (the one that goes through the back of the transmission) with a longer one and mounting the lower arms on that? Maybe a tube (with bronze bushes) welded onto the arms themselves to offset the arms out a bit

A 3 point is way down on my list of projects. I have a Sears 3pt Moldboard plow, and you see a fair amount of Sears equipment for sale at reasonable prices. I'm also toying with the idea of building some sort of drawbar to suit a slot or clevis hitch at one end, and the sears 3 point at the other..... It could have a linear actuator mounted on the drawbar up to where the top link attaches to the implement, so you could vary the angle of the attachment, and use the slot or clevis hitch to adjust height.

But like Kevin I need to avoid the temptation to tear into another project. I dont get enough sleep as it is....

kpinnc

I had hoped Nick would post a pic or two here. He's got the award for 'most stuff crammed neatly in a small space" on the LR.

That is one tough little machine!

Kevin

sorekiwi

I had hoped Nick would post a pic or two here. He's got the award for 'most stuff crammed neatly in a small space" on the LR.

That is one tough little machine!

Kevin

That thing is as cool as hell, and even more impressive in real life.

kpinnc

That thing is as cool as hell, and even more impressive in real life.

Every time I look at my LR, the thought of Nick's just amazes me.

I truly believe Mr. Pond woulda got a kick out of it.

Kevin

Stigian

I was having a natter with Jim (Mith) last night about 3 point hitches, and he pointed me in the direction of this website :omg:

3 point link clicky thingy

As Jim pointed out, you couldnt make one yourself for less than Agri-supply sell then for :banghead: :USA: