leeave96

520H & Kwik Way Loader

leeave96

Traded my log splitter even-up for this 520H and Kwik Way Loader.  I think we both got a good deal.  Tractor has almost 160 hrs on the clock, but vibrates like crazy.  Not sure if there is a dead cylinder on the Onan, but it otherwise seems to have plenty of power and doesn't smoke that I can tell.  Starts right up.  Loader seems to work fine, very easy to use.  No deck with the tractor, but I've got a spare 48 SD and 42 RD I can put on the tractor.  I'll be moving out one of my other color tractors to make room for this one and may part with an implement or two.

post-6085-0-21559000-1378780409_thumb.jp

• Like 2

312Hydro

Sounds like a great trade! Looks good in the pic. I've got a log splitter if you ever want to make a deal :ychain:  :handgestures-thumbupright: :handgestures-thumbupright:

DoctorHfuhruhurr

160 or did you mean 1600 hrs? 

RMCIII

What a SCORE!. Hey, I got a chain saw, if you ever just want to trade the loader. LOL.

• Like 1

546cowboy

Must have been one H%## of a log splitter. Anybody else looking to do that? :techie-eureka: I have a log splitter that I don't use any more.  :ychain::laughing-rofl:

Edited by 546cowboy
  • Like 1

AMC RULES

Awesome trade.   :bow-blue:

boovuc

I have three log splitters I would have traded for that combo! Two are solid metal handles and the other one has a wood handle!

That was a great trade and for a Quick-Way no less! You pretty much got a free tractor out of the deal!

• Like 1

sdwyer41

I have three log splitters I would have traded for that combo! Two are solid metal handles and the other one has a wood handle!

That was a great trade and for a Quick-Way no less! You pretty much got a free tractor out of the deal!

I was thinking the same thing, except mine has a composit handle.

leeave96

My bad...

post-6085-0-85371300-1378816956_thumb.jp

158.6 hours.... :)

Edited by leeave96
  • Like 3

Dieselcowboy

You will love this setup. Probably never let it go either. I have a 520-8 and an ark on it. Use the crap out of it. 700 more hours though. Nice find.

• Like 1

312Hydro

My bad...

attachicon.gifHour Meter - 520H w-Loader.JPG

158.6 hours.... :)

Well, I'll still do the trade but you'll have to make up the difference! :ychain::banana-tux:

• Like 1

squonk

The hour meter does work , right? :ychain:

Edited by squonk

leeave96

The hour meter does work , right? :ychain:

I think it does - LOL.

I've got about 5 minutes run time on the tractor, just enough time to get it on my trailer and off in my yard last night.

BTW - there was some question as to if it would fit in my trailer.  The fellow selling was concerned, so I said worse case, I can back the tractor onto the trailer and let the bucket hang over the tail gate.  My trailer is 5 x 10 and the tractor just fit with a couple of inches to spare with the bucket setting on the trailer deck.

That was one of the heaviest loads I've had on my trailer.  Tractor, loader, wheel weights and rear weights.  I had some concern that my tail gate might fail under the load as the seller was telling me he had some folding steel ramps and they bent as he loaded the tractor on his trailer when he bought it.  My tailgate is angle iron with expanded metal mesh covering it.  I made sure the wheels were on the two angles going from the trailer to the ground.  No problem.

Not sure when I'll have time to mess around with this tractor.  Good thing is it's in the fleet now.  I've got several old iron tractors of different colors and as I have ran them over the summer, mostly mowing grass, some of them have broken down - all minor stuff, but none the less, when you own a fleet of tractors, you can spend some goodly $$$'s fixing them.  What I do is let them break down and put them in line for my winter projects.  I've got an IHCC that needs a carb rebuild, another tractor that needs a deck spindle replacement and by the end of the year all of the workers will need to be serviced, blades sharpened, etc.  This is what keeps me busy in the evenings over the winter.  Very likely, that's when I'll go over this 520H with loader, changing fluids, etc.

Thanks!

Bill

boovuc

Hi Bill,

I only have an 8 foot trailer with the steel mesh drop gate. I already measured my 520-H with an ARK loader and first off, I would need to remove the weight bucket and weights. (That would go in the truck bed).

Next is bringing the bucket up on the front rail and pulling the bucket all the way back. Next is bring the gate up and locking it and moving the tractor back as far as it will go.

After all this, I will have a very damaged tailgate on the truck if I jack knife or make a sharp turn. I'll be in the market now for a 10 foot trailer soon and yes, a 520 with a loader is very heavy compared to what we are used to carrying!

fourwheels0

i saw that ad and wanted it so bad but didn't have the cash or a wood splitter to trade.

you got a great deal even with an onan lol.

leeave96

Hi Bill,

I only have an 8 foot trailer with the steel mesh drop gate. I already measured my 520-H with an ARK loader and first off, I would need to remove the weight bucket and weights. (That would go in the truck bed).

Next is bringing the bucket up on the front rail and pulling the bucket all the way back. Next is bring the gate up and locking it and moving the tractor back as far as it will go.

After all this, I will have a very damaged tailgate on the truck if I jack knife or make a sharp turn. I'll be in the market now for a 10 foot trailer soon and yes, a 520 with a loader is very heavy compared to what we are used to carrying!

I was concerned my 10 ft trailer would be to short.  My plan was to back the tractor on the trailer as far as it would go, raise the bucket, put up the tail gate and lower the bucket onto the tail gate in the up position - letting it rest on it.  The previous owner, when purchased the tractor, pulled the tractor onto his trailer - forward with the bucket setting over the trailer into the tongue area.  He commented that when he hauled it, he had to be careful not to make a tight turn, else a rear quarter panel might get smashed in the process from the bucket.  I backed the tractor onto my trailer and when I lowered the bucket was surprised it cleared the tailgate.

i saw that ad and wanted it so bad but didn't have the cash or a wood splitter to trade.

you got a great deal even with an onan lol.

This tractor was about 3 miles from my house.  The owner came to my house and I demo'd the log splitter and we loaded it up on my trailer and hauled it to his house - me following him so I could find the way.  The deal was - if I liked the tractor, we'd roll off the loader and load the tractor - which is what happened.  By the time we were done, it was dark and we were working with flashlights!  I didn't want to wait another day as I feared someone might ****** it out from under me (I wouldn't personally ask a seller to hold something for me if someone else has the money or in this case, log splitter) so I was glad to close the deal, even as the sun went down.

My Wife said I needed the log splitter more than another tractor and the loader - and really she is right (again and again and again... ), but I came close to buying a new loader years ago and though it will get very little use (in fact, I'll likely pull the loader and put a mowing deck on the tractor), it's a nice attachment to have and from a hobby/collector's point of view, an interesting piece to have in the fleet.

Bill

cheesegrader

You are going to use the crap out of that loader.

I can't imagine taking it off.

Don't you have something else to mow with?

I just don't think hydraulic systems do well when they are stored for long periods,

and those hoses look mighty tasty to mice when sitting in storage!

RMCIII

OOOHHHH!!! I got it. Leave the loader on. Fabricate/modify a hitch around the rear axel that would allow you to have a log splitter off the back. You would never run the bucket or the splitter at the same time - you just may need to also increase the volume of hydraulic oil in the system. Then you can HAVE YOUR CAKE AND EAT IT TOO!!!! :woohoo:  :handgestures-thumbupright:

RMCIII

Ok. So this topic sparked my interest. I have been surfing CL the last few days. The most expensive log splitter I have been able to find is $650.00-o.b.o. Only 1 yrs. use. Originally purchased new 2yrs. ago for $2,500.00. 18hp. interchangeable wedges for the ram. SOOOOOO. I got $700.00 to give cash if you want to trade???? LOL/ 

• Like 1

leeave96

Got the tractor out to show my Brother, fired right up, but the tractor's floor board vibrates like crazy - more so than any Wheelhorse I've ever owned.

Engine seems to have plenty of power, no smoke. But the engine doesn't sound right to me. I'm thinking I'm running on 1 cylinder - just not sure.

Everything else, especially the loader works fine.

Bill

JackC

It is amazing how they start and run on one cylinder.  You could do the pull the plug test.  While it is running pull one spark plug at a time to see what happens.  The motor could be fine but the wiring could be corroded.  Check the condition of the plugs and plug wires.  Or you could do a temperature test to see if one of the cylinders is not hot.  The transmission drive belt or idler pulley could also be too loose or worn which will cause vibration. Remove the belt guard to check that out.

Edited by JackC

leeave96

It is amazing how they start and run on one cylinder.  You could do the pull the plug test.  While it is running pull one spark plug at a time to see what happens.  The motor could be fine but the wiring could be corroded.  Check the condition of the plugs and plug wires.  Or you could do a temperature test to see if one of the cylinders is not hot.  The transmission drive belt or idler pulley could also be too loose or worn which will cause vibration. Remove the belt guard to check that out.

Yea - I'll check all of the above.  The first thing I thought of was pulling a plug wire on each cylinder to see what I've got.  I know these Onan can find themselves a loose valve seat, but at 159 hours?  That seems a little premature - but not out of the realms of possibility.

Tractor needs a thorough going over as far as fluid changes, new plugs, filters, etc.  This maintenance may cure the problem.  ALSO - the previous owner mentioned he changed the drive belt -  got it from NAPA.  I might ought to take a look-see there too.  May replace the NAPA drive belt with a OEM Wheelhorse belt.

This tractor is going to see a lot of hours down the road - me thinks.  My Dad has a camp and up until this summer, our family mowed half of it, but now we are responsible for mowing all of it.  I mowed with a 42 inch deck Cub Cadet last week for 2 hours and only finished half of the mowing.  I'd been mulling putting a 60 inch deck on my other 520H, but really wanted another 520H for a 60 inch deck.  This tractor will be that tractor.  Over the winter, I'll be keeping my eyes pealed for a decent 60 inch deck - but not right now as Momma is not so happy with me dragging home another tractor.  Once the fleet get's so large, the argument, Son or Daughter needs their own tractor grows a bit week when "their" tractor starts getting "their tractors" plural - LOL.

If the Onan turns out to be bad, I've got a spare 14 hp Kohler Magnum and what appears to be a suitable K series 14 hp engine from a JD that should bolt into a Wheelhorse with minimal pain.

Thanks!

Bill

leeave96

Just responded to another post regarding a 520H and front end loader and thought I'd update this thread of when I got mine.

Haven't touched the tractor or loader since my last post, but plan to as the weather warms-up.

Bought a new log splitter to replace the old one last weekend. Got it for $100 less than the first one!

post-6085-0-79756900-1399571046_thumb.jp

lt230s

Got the same log splitter. Had it for 2 years now and is great little machine.

You should have said something about getting another one....I would have traded mine for the loader! :roll:

• Like 2