DrabHorse

Is a small amount of play on the PTO bell normal

DrabHorse

On the PTO bell where it rides on the crankshaft on the large needle bearing, should there be some play there when moving it by hand?  I have a few and they all have some play in them.

WH nut

Very little, should almost be un noticeable

Martin

you want the least amount possible. but with most of our tractors being used for 30-40 years and countless hours mowing, and therefore pto being loaded, wear is going to be there. you could try sourcing a better sleeve, new bearing etc. new bearing will help the sleeve to bearing relationship, but you need to find out if there is excessive play between the id of the sleeve and crankshaft end. most of mine are worn in that area somewhat as well.......

DrabHorse

The fit between the id of the sleeve and the crankshaft seems to be good.  I have not measured the od of the sleeve, but just looking at it and feeling it there does not seem to be a worn area where the bearing runs compared to the part where the bearing does not contact. 

I guess it is hard to say how much is a little bit of play on something like this.  I was just wondering if a little bit might be normal.

Jeff-C175

Here's the thing about the PTO... when you have the PTO ENGAGED, there is no movement of the crank relative to the bell.  It's all rotating as one mass, so no wear on the bearing or the shaft, they both spin together.

If the majority of the tractor's use is with implements that turn, versus say a grader or a plow, that bearing and sleeve will last virtually forever.

It seems inevitable to me that there not be a LITTLE bit of play.

Martin

totally agree jeff on the pto engaged, but when disengaging with the belt still tight on the mower deck there are parts rotating and others not. if you have safety switches the pto will need to be engaged and disengaged and how often do you come across tractors with lack of maintenance from the owner or operator? 

i think only one of my tractors so far with the bell style pto was 'unworn' either on the crankshaft, id or od of sleeve or the bearings didn't need replaced.

i should have made that more clearer in my first post.