Sign in to follow this  
sorekiwi

Primer dried glossy

sorekiwi

Hey paint experts!

I used a gun to spray a hood today with a couple of coats of the Valspar sandable primer. A couple of good thick coats as there are some pitting issues to deal with.

I didnt thin it (can said not to), and it did seem awfully thick (both looking at it and spraying it).

Now a couple of hours later it has dried with a shiney finish. I've never sprayed this stuff with a gun, but the same paint in an aerosol is definately a matt finish (as is every other primer I have ever seen).

What did I do wrong? Its not dry enough yet to see what happens when I sand it.

Any opinions or advice appeciated.

kpinnc

Can't say I'm a huge fan of the Valspar primer, Mike. It seems to be very slow to dry thoroughly, and I'd almost swear whatever paint you put on over it is also slower to cure...

But, I am a fan of the Valspar paint. It goes on nice, and even someone like me can produce a decent finish with it.

Now, on to your question: I wouldn't worry too much about the primer finish. If it is supposed to be sanded anyway, you can produce whatever amount of texture you need to with it. I seem to recall mine was somewhat glossy until it completely cured anyway. So far, the parts I primed with it are still holding the paint on.

I know several others here have used the primer before, so they may have a better answer for you. Otherwise, just rough it up after it cures completely. Just don't expect that to be quick to happen.

Good luck,

Kevin

Kelly

Take some 150 or 220 sand paper and just scuff the surface to break the skin it will cure faster, I've never used the primer, but the paint is very very slow to cure, even with hardner in it, but it does spray pretty good, easy to run, but lays out smooth.

sorekiwi

Thanks guys, I'll see how it goes.

The stuff in the rattle cans dries pretty fast, so I figured this would be similar. And the couple of coats I put on were really thick, partly because the paint was so thick and partly cause I wanted to fill up some of the pits.

Should I have thinned it out a bit? (The can states "Do not thin"). It went on a little "splattery" which is ok right now as I need some heavy duty flatting down, but I'd like to be able to lay down a lnice smooth final coat of primer before I start with the color.

I'll try to drag my sorry a$$ outa bed early enough tomorrow to give it a scuff up before work.

sorekiwi

OK, it seems like it will be ok, but it is really soft, even after "baking" in a closed up garage for 36 hours.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a better Primer/surfacer that is compatible with the "Restoration Series" Valspar? I really dont like this primer at all (although I have had good results with it in a rattlecan).

CasualObserver

It's not for the experts... but the plain old Valspar Oil Base Red Oxide Primer in the spray can (just a little farther down the aisle at Farm and Fleet) works good for me. It's no acid etch body shop perfection, but it lays down a nice base that you can cover up with your finish coats.

kj4kicks

I had the same problem with Valspar primer. Slow to dry, and stayed soft for weeks. I even tried adding a little bit of the paint hardener to it, but no difference.

Ever since then I've been using epoxy primer. If you want something a bit cheaper, any good automotive primer, or even the Valspar rattle can primer, should do the trick.

BTW, early this summer, I baked the parts in the back of my truck with a topper on it for over a week, and it was still not fully cured. That's when I switched to epoxy!

Hope that helps !

E.

joebob

Sorekiwi check the can, if it's meant to be sprayed right over with your topcoat its a primer/sealer and that would explain the glossy finish, there a cross bred , meant for 2 step finishes, and slower to dry, if not catalyzed . as far as primers go there are many good off brands that are made by big names paint company but at half the price, my favorate is Omni it's made ppg, and two part so you can use it sooner,just check you will find them, (there just not advertised)

Kelly

Mike, Hows your primer doing????

sorekiwi

Mike, Hows your primer doing????

Crap actually.

I scuffed the surface as you suggested Kelly and that seemed to help quite a bit. But after about 5 days it still really wasnt very hard, and I decided it I'd put it on too think as well. I ended up scrapeing most of it off again.

I'm out of town this weekend, but I hope when I get home whats left will be hard enough to sand off and start again. I'm gonna redo it with something different, even if its rattle can.

Of course its the hood, which is the bit where F'ups are most notice-able....

Thanks for your advice.