Sign in to follow this  
dclarke

Going to look at this

dclarke

I'm going to look at this tomorrow and I can't seem to figure out what year/model it is. Can anyone tell me what it is from this pic? Is there anything I need to look for with the trans. I don't know anything about the automatics. Thanks.

Denny

photo1_zps358c9e0e.jpg

• Like 1

Sparky

Its a 1978 or 79 C-121, or C-141, or C-161 with a Sundstrand hydro. The hydro means its at least a 12hp machine.

Mike...............

jay in nc

i would agree, but not a c161 the air cleaner is too narrow, nice tractor

Lane Ranger

Looks like a C-121 auto.  I have a n eight speed  high/low and David has a hydro .    I really like using it.  I  have not set up yet for my rototiller maybe I can do it early next year!

armyvetwh

have fun. i am going to an auction where they have a wheel horse c-100 w/44" or 46" snow thrower. i was told it does not run. there is no deck on it but the original motor is on it(K241S). hoping to get it cheap, mostly farmers around here that either want something that runs or brand new. :bow-blue:  :laughing-rofl:  :flags-usa:

AMC RULES

Poor thing...looks like it can't wait to go.

Good luck today Denny...we'll be waiting.    :popcorn:  

welderman85

Looks pretty clean good luck on the purchase

dclarke

Can the tranny be disengaged on the C121 Auto so you can push it?  Where is the Lever?

photo1_zps462a5a2e.jpg

Shuboxlover

There will be a "tow valve" that you'll have to open (takes a flat blade screwdriver).  It's on the left side of the machine, between the rear tire and the pump.  A lot of them are stuck (rusted) so you can't turn them.  BUT, even when you do open the tow valve, they're like trying to push a stubborn donkey!!!

• Like 1

boovuc

Agreed on the tow valve! I would bring something, (a dolly for instance), that you could use in the event you do buy it. As I think you know, you can damage those Sundstrands by pushing or towing them a great distance.

• Like 1

Callen

Tow valve could also be a hex head-5/16. It points forward directly inline with the dash tower side. I have to reach under the footrest to get to mine. It's most likely a C121 due to the lack of Hyd lift.

Wheel-N-It

i would agree, but not a c161 the air cleaner is too narrow, nice tractor

I believe Jay is correct !!!

Wheel Horse Kid

I bought a C121 the other week and the tow value was rusted and man was that a pain to move! Felt like I was moving a bolder! You for sure want to bring something along to help move it.

dclarke

Well, it followed me home. I think it must be a C121, it has a 12hp K301 in it. I bought this thing on faith that it'll run because it wouldn't start but after talking to the Lady I believe she was honest with me, :handgestures-fingerscrossed: We'll see.  The wires at the ign. switch melted so instead of fixing it she got another mower. This thing has been rattle canned and I couldn't find a model/s.n. tag on the tractor, the engine and mower deck numbers are pictured below. Any info from those numbers would be appreciated. The tranny took a 5/16" wrench to open the tow valve, it opened right up with no problems. I plan on using this to mow the yard.

001_zps58f47b0c.jpg

002_zps6d5cabf1.jpg

I think the deck numbers are 0542sm04 (the last 4 could ba an A)  58399
003_zps441b51f1.jpg

004_zps21a4f8c5.jpg

005_zps202405fd.jpg

006_zps1ef1764d.jpg

Her Dad gave this tranny to me, his Dad was the Wheel Horse dealer in town back in the day. He still has 4 Horses and and several attachments. Yes, I did exchange contact numbers with him.
008_zps8e0bb676.jpg

• Like 2

welderman85

very nice buy

jay in nc

the serial # plate is on the lower hoodstand to the right of the clutch pedal,i can see it in one picture.

MalMac

Looks like you got a nice tractor there Denny. I have 4 of the same vintage C's around here. As far as I am concerned they are some of the best Wheel Horse put out. The only drawback is the tranny. Those sunstrands are strong but very temperamental to wear and any even the mini est particle of dirt, but if everything is working right you can't beat it. Those C's were the bread and butter for Wheel Horse.

armyvetwh

great buy there. went to the auction yesterday. the WH c-100, started out $100, i got to 275, then 3 others started bidding. it got up to $725. then found out it originly came from 2 miles away from me. they were selling it because their dad could not operate the clutch and brake any more. they had to get him one with the dash mounted shifter. they bypassed the brake safety for him, so he can start it. they are going to reconnect it when the modified brake handle comes in for it.

dclarke

the serial # plate is on the lower hoodstand to the right of the clutch pedal,i can see it in one picture.

Thanks Jay, I found it, it's a '78 model. Yesterday I bought a new battery and ordered an ign. switch. I'm hoping that fixes it.

armyvetwh

had to try and find  a part for another mower, got talking to someone i know, and was told he found another wheel horse i may be able to get. a WheelHorse 101(he believes) that is (shuddering)"sitting in a shed", of all things a horse sitting. that is terrible not seeing any sunlight, a horse has to be free.

Edited by armyvetwh