Sign in to follow this  
sdwyer41

Wheel Horse Virgin

leeave96

Nice looking tractor. You'll like that 36 inch deck and love the ag tires - especially if you put some wheel weights on them.

• Like 1

sdwyer41

Like stated above, this is the first WH I have owned, and there is a lot I don't know.  Things like:  Does it have a locking diferential? When working in the woods with it, a few times I got some tire spin and thought I was stuck, but then, it would just take off like the other tire kicked in.  How do you hook up a tiller?  Does it have a rear pto for that somewhere or is it a belt drive?  I figure a snow blower would work off of the mower belt pullies.  Would I need snow chains with ag tires for snow plowing, or just weights?  Does the knob on the front adjust the mower deck belt?  How tight should that be?  That's the Mule Gear, right? 

Those are just the ones I can think of right now lol.

Thank you for your patience.

Steve

leeave96

Like stated above, this is the first WH I have owned, and there is a lot I don't know.  Things like:  Does it have a locking diferential? When working in the woods with it, a few times I got some tire spin and thought I was stuck, but then, it would just take off like the other tire kicked in.  How do you hook up a tiller?  Does it have a rear pto for that somewhere or is it a belt drive?  I figure a snow blower would work off of the mower belt pullies.  Would I need snow chains with ag tires for snow plowing, or just weights?  Does the knob on the front adjust the mower deck belt?  How tight should that be?  That's the Mule Gear, right? 

Those are just the ones I can think of right now lol.

Thank you for your patience.

Steve

No locking differential.  Ag tires and weights will mostly eliminate the need for one.  Tiller is a whole different animal, not hard to hook-up, but it is belt driven from the engine.  The belt arrangement looks odd, but works like a champ.  Lots of debate regarding ag tires vs chains with snow.  If ice in in the mix, chains all the way.  Wheel weights are always good.  Front knob is the mule drive and tightens the belt.  There is a thread on this somewhere on the forum from a few days ago.

Most of all, take a step back.  You've got a great tractor and there is LOTS of info available.  The first place to start is in the manuals section.  Go there and download your manual.  If you can't find it there, Toro has them for free downloads too.  All you need is your model number.  You can get manuals for your deck too.

Good luck,

Bill

sdwyer41

So, the PTO clutch plate was completely worn out.  Uppon further inspection, I do not think that the trunion was adjusted right, I don't think it was able to disengage the clutch completely.  I have a new part ordered.  Found one on Amazon for $59.99+ $6.50 shipping.  I can figure out how to replace it, I have had the PTO clutch off and the pressure plate is only held on by 4 bolts, but I have now idea of how to adjust it once it is on.  Apparently there is a 0.016 gap between the brake shoe and the clutch when engaged, but do I adjust the trunion until the clutch meets the preasur plate and go one more turn?  Do I just do trial and error, try it, if it slips, take it one turn, try it if it slips take it one turn? 

Thanks for your help in advance.  You guys are a wealth of knowledge and many of you seem to have infinte patience with those of us that are new to the Wheel Horse Addiction.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

If you go to

https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/index.cfm?xCaller=Toro

and do a search for 310-8 they will all come up. Your's is not newer than 1989. There is a link to the attachment list on the right of each model. They list the attachment model sold the year of the tractor, the model that replaced the original and the model available when the list was updated. Often there are many more models between the last two. Now to add more to the list all attachments for the 1973 long frame models and the C-Series 1974-1984 except the C-195 will also fit your tractor. A few like tillers need a minor modification to lift them.

Once you have the model numbers search the manuals here to see if we have it. If you can't find let us know what you need.

There should be a decal on the rear fender pan with the long model number, serial number and possibly a 4-digit build date. Failing that post all the numbers off the engine decal including the serial number and will try to identify it that way.

Garry

Jeff-C175

but do I adjust the trunion until the clutch meets the preasur plate and go one more turn?  Do I just do trial and error, try it, if it slips, take it one turn, try it if it slips take it one turn?

That's more or less what I do...  I might add that after mowing for a little while, shut the machine off and CAREFULLY! DON'T BURN YOURSELF!  feel the PTO bell for excessive heat.  If you find that it's screaming hot, it could indicate slippage that isn't noticed easily by eye or ear.

sdwyer41

Then that's what I'll do.  Thank you. Can't wait for the part to get here, I want to see what this thing will do when it's working properly.  I don't know if it's the way the cut grass lays from the RD deck, or what, but I have never saw a smoother cut by a mower with 3 blades.  It looks like the grass was cut by just one blade.

sdwyer41

Well, I got the new clutch plate. Took the old one off, it still had a lot of meat on it. But it was so glazed that it looked like metal. It was so shiny it reflected light. I will try to grind the glaze off later. The new one works great, got it adjusted, it works like a charm, I hit high heavy grass the mower deck sound doesn't change, but the sound from the engine sure does. It cuts like a beast.

• Like 1

Fordiesel69

Very nice deal.  Looks to be in very good shape with no rust.  Keep the engine oil changed every 25 hrs max and it will last a lifetime. 

Jeff-C175

Glad it's working good!

I will try to grind the glaze off later

Without knowing what materials were used in that lining back in the day, I would probably advise against any grinding of it.  Might have some of the "A" word in it....

sdwyer41

Yeah, didn't think of that. It's quite possible.

Oil change and flush in one week.