semperfi8185

Best All Around WH Tractor?

Don1977

I only have one Wheel Horse a 1977 C-120/180 - 8 speed with a 2010 Briggs & Stratton Vanguard 18 HP.

Austin860

A d250, fast, 8 speed, strong engine string trans, differential lock, has 3pt/rear pro capibility. And it's huge and heavy!

• Like 1

JackC

If I could keep only one it would be my 520HC.  It is strong, fast, and I love the sound of the sweet running 20hp twin cylinder ONAN.

Ken B

After using my 417-8 for half the summer now I'm CONVINCED my 520 ain't got nothing over it. The Kohler 17 twin will blast thru 12 inches of tall thick grass in third gear with a 48 inch deck on it like no body's business, governor kickin in perfectly. (doin a nice job cuttin that tall grass too!) All of that with almost 2000 hrs on the clock. It also sounds just as good as the Onan, if not better. I know there are stories of Onan's reaching 2000 hrs, not many on a Wheel Horse though. My choice for best all around worker is the 417-8.

Tankman

After using my 417-8 for half the summer now I'm CONVINCED my 520 ain't got nothing over it.

Never owned a Kohler twin but, I ditto Ken, my 416-8 Kohler can handle it all.

I do like my 520-8 and use it all the time but, that 416-8 is all Stallion!

MalMac

Any of the C series, but in particular the 78 or 79 vintage, The 81,101,121,141,161 any of those especially with the 8 speeds are the no non-sence get the job done tractors. They were the mix of the original C's with the foundation of the newer tractors to come. They were the back bone for Wheel Horse and the platform for Toro to advance on.

hm12460

It would have to be a 312-8 (just like mine) Keep it simple, keep it cheap, reliability is better than anything mechanical has any right to be. Just a good all year round working tractor.

• Like 1

Amanda

D 250 :)

oaktown1987

C series

dandan111

I like my 314-8. Kohler single seems to last forever. Strong and reliable.

Brrly1

GT14 

tomtractor

My C125 does everything with little trouble.  I have had several 14 hp K series motors and the 12 hp K series sounds smoother. Maybe some have thoughts about that? I have never felt like I have a lack of power and the tractor is overall very reliable.  

dandan111

About the 14 kohler vs. the 12. I have heard this before. I know a guy that bought a brand new tractor with a 14. He was so concerned and mad he got rid of it for revving up and down. I have only had mine do this a few times and I think its carb related. When it's cold if you turn the choke of fast it will have a fit and rev up and down. I wouldn't trade my 14 for a 12 though.

motox25

520H with foot pedal, a horse drawn carriage (trailer), 60 inch deck, complete with a low hour, and never overheated, gas sucking, fine purring Onan!

wheelhorsekid

Love my C 160 auto and C 161 auto. Both are great all around. Miss my C 160 8 speed tho'.

i967mustang

C 160 automatic with hydraulic lift. Best of all the goodies.