Sign in to follow this  
rustbucket

busted spring retainer for K-181

rustbucket

well i tried starting my newest horse last night and got flames spit at me out the intake :USA: . i thought something wasnt right cause it was also spitting back out the intake when ever it went into compression. so today i removed the head and looked at the valve. looks alright i said to myself. a bit carbon caked but not wore out. i turned the engine over by hand to make sure it wasnt binding then thought that it isnt supposed to turn fully around in its motions and put it to open then lightly tugged on it and wouldnt you know it came right out in my hand :banghead: . now my boss calls me mongo at work cause im stupid strong but even i cant break metal bare handed. i opened the sping port or what ever it is called and looked at the intake spring and sure enough the conical washer thingy that holds the sprind tension to the valve was in 3 peices inside the spring along with the two retainers. i ever so carefully removed them to not loose them down into the block and well now im trying to figure out if i should try to get just the washer part or a full rebuild since im already this far into it.

rustbucket

2008-08-24-41256.jpg

broken part supposed to be between the retainers and the spring but dosnt quite work in 3 peices

big mike

Luckily just the retainer broke.You should be able to find a good used one easily.

Were you able to find the keepers? If not you'll need those too.Your also going to need a spring compressor,I got mine at NAPA out of their small engine catalog.

illinilefttackle

:banghead: Bad Luck- Hope you find the pieces you need-SEARS-has a good Valve Spring Compressor (craftsman) for $19.95 at the store-AL

rustbucket

i acctualy went to my small engine place and not only did they have a full gasket kit with oil seals for my engine they got me my valve retainer and keepers on order. the gasket kit is at home and already have several of the gaskets used but the seals are sweet to have. all original kohler.

i was able to get the old keepers along with the broken retainer. plan is to use a valve lapping tool and compound to mate the 2 surfaces so they seal perffectly then install it all put her back together and give her a try.