Sign in to follow this  
willowbank

identification of model

willowbank

Hi chaps could someone please point me in the right direction;

I have a 4 speed Raider 10 and would like to find the exact model number for parts reference etc.

Also the rear hub has busted, I have purchased a replacement 1" hub (£50) and am currently attempting to reassemble the hub, the woodruff key(s) appear to be too narrow for the slot on the axle and I am unsure as to the way forward, I want to avoid stripping the other axle to see how it is assembled as it seems to be ok.

Is there a diagram anywhere showing how the woodruff keys should be inserted?

Thank you for any help you can give

Rob

• Like 1

KC9KAS

A Raider 10 with a 4 speed transmission:

1970 1-6041 with a Tecumseh HH100-115095B and a Wheel Horse 5071 transmission.

Any of this sound like your GT?

Where are my manners... :WRS: , and :wwp:

• Like 1

GlenPettit

The Woodruff Key should be a snug fit, it should just fit it -- any 'slop' or looseness would make it a lot weaker.

Screenshot2013-08-30at55411PM_zps4038fe4

The Woodruff Key is inserted so it is straight-level in and above the shaft, and the hub is gently pushed or tapped in, the rear hub is positioned and normally pushed in to even with the end of the axle shaft.  The Key is about 1/8th inch above the axle shaft when on, and into the hub about that same 1/8th inch (drawing above does not show this).

Good Luck, it should be a very easy task installing it, (with the correct Key);

and, Welcome to Red Square.

Edited by GlenPettit
  • Like 2

groundhog47

Not certain if all keys on rear axel are #5 woodruff or not. Have axels on a 66 1" and 76 1 1/8" with #5 woodruff key, approx 1/4" thick x approx 1" long, fit is snug - snug, no side wobble. In parts couldn't verify any dimensions (manuals section) 

Thanks to Garry's post that key lists as #15 instead of #5....edited

Edited by groundhog47
  • Like 1

gwest_ca

This list includes the measured length of the keys. I think the "key size" must be the cutter diameter and most of us have no idea what that is or how it relates to the different keys.

Garry

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:   Are you using a metric size key?  Don't know if there may be a difference betweeen SAE an metric, but that may be the case since you are in Europe.

Good luck.

Hope this will :help: .

• Like 1

groundhog47

This list includes the measured length of the keys. I think the "key size" must be the cutter diameter and most of us have no idea what that is or how it relates to the different keys.

Garry

By your chart Garry and willowbank, I must correct myself. That key lists as #15 not #5, thanks for post Garry 

willowbank

Thank you all for the welcomes and advice so far, I am none the wiser though as to how to age my Wheelhorse, for instance how do I interpret the chassis or engine numbers, does part of that number indicate the year of manufacture?

I have noticed several different models being referred to B or C prefixes, I would really like to find out what mine is so that I can get hold of a manual but really do not know where to begin.

Is there anyone in the UK or even in the south of England willing to give some tips on suppliers of parts ie Woodruff keys?

Planning on doing some refurb over the winter and have sourced a can of Wheelhorse paint, so it. will be looking good next spring.

All the best Rob

stevasaurus

Welcome to Red Square. :)   We have quite a few members in the UK that are active and helpful.  One problem is that your tractor numbers on that side of the pond do not necessarily match up with the numbers on this side.  Being a Raider 10...4 speed though, it is most likely a 1968/1969.  As far as the wood ruff key...if you find one larger...metric is probably the problem...you can file it down to fit.  What numbers do you have.on the engine and what numbers do you have on the dash tower???  Does it look like this???  This is a 1972 and has the 8 speed trans.  The Raiders were more or less a precursor to the "C" and "B" series.  The "B" and "C" series started in 1974.

2008_071910raider19720008.jpg

2008_071910raider19720010.jpg

• Like 1

GlenPettit

More than likely, you have an import; your Raider was made over here in South Bend.  

The Wheel Horse plant in Belgium started production in '69 and ran for only a couple of years.  I believe everything was in English sizes.

•  The A, B, C and D refer to the size and class of the tractor;  The A–series model being for very small yards and lawns and the B for a little larger size yards and lawn, both were mainly intended to mow lawns and pull a small cart, some B's could also plow snow, both A and B mostly had pressed metal frames (there are a few exceptions to this).  The C could basically do anything, it was a real Garden Tractor, could mow all day, and use any implement,  plow or blow snow or rototill, it could tow heavy loads and had a main frame of 2" angle iron welded together.  The D was a very heavy-duty commercial type Garden Tractor, sometimes using an small automotive engine for power.  The the early 80's, letters switched to 100, 200, 300, 400 and also 500–series tractors.

•  For a date, usually the original engine is the most accurate.  We have books from Kohler (or Wed site) that can date the engine to the day it was made, and then it took about 60 days to get installed on the tractor.  Wheel Horse records are not always that accurate and have lots of exceptions.  Post those numbers and we can help you date it, as well as more photos (and one with hood open, from top).  

•  Look at the posts from England in the Euro Section here on RED SQUARE and contact some of those people; also post your location in the "Member Map" in the red bar near the top.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Have recorded these model numbers for the Raider 10 4-speed

1-0393 Recognized by Toro as a 1974 model (2 serial numbers recorded)

1-0394 Recognized by Toro as a 1975 model (4 serial numbers recorded)

71-01K4 Suspect this one should read 71-10K4. Likely a 1977 model (1 serial number recorded)

None of them are on the Belgium model list.

Garry

• Like 1