Sign in to follow this  
FarmGirl

New, Looking to buy and need information

FarmGirl

Hi, I found a 1973 Wheel Horse GT 14 Auto 3pt Hitch with many implements for $1500. This tractor is still a strong running tractor and is pretty much all original.
Some details are:
Original Kohler 14HP engine (never been rebuilt, doesn't smoke or burn oil)
Original Sundstrand Hydro Trans that has not been converted to motor oil (uses original transmission fluid)
Original Factory 3pt hitch
Hydraulic hoses have been replaced in the past
Original 42" mowing deck
Cat0 Implements (2 small plows, 2 turning plows, scrape, discs, cultivator, hitch ball)
Original rims and tires are still in great shape (rear tires have fluid in them for traction)

There is rust on the body and all the implements, but over-all it looks like an outdoor-kept tractor. I was wondering if this is a reliable model and year for a small-scale homesteader, and if I could reliably do most of the repair work on a model like this. Also, would this price be fair if it is actually in as good running condition as listed by the seller?

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Sounds like a really great deal...

don't tell anyone where it is.   :)

:WRS:

Kelly

Around me that would be top money, I'd offer less $1000 maybe 1200 but I know WH's are harder to find down there

oldblue1993

The price is all in two things how bad you want it and if in a few years you will look at it and still be happy."sorta of like finding a wife". I would say go for it, sounds like a great deal and not being rebuilt can be a good thing ,because no one has molested it. If you get we want pics. Good luck to you.

chrisd200(inactive)

I think it sounds like a fair deal. As long as the engine runs well and the trans pulls good, considering the attachments, I would say go for it.

953 nut

:WRS:   GT14s are great, I got a few hours of seat time on mine today clearing a tree that had fallen. Mine came with a front end loader and a cat.0 3 point York landscape rake, I paid $1800. Had to drive to NJ to get it, but I love it. Used parts guy is right, :wh:  are hard to come by in NC. With all those attachments you have a good price.

Keep us posted and send along some photos.

:USA: 

• Like 1

chrisd200(inactive)

Im in South Carolina and I have only come across 1 Gt 14. It was a good tractor for the short time that I owned it. A man and his wife came all the way from Texas to buy it! Wheel Horses are hard to come by around here! If you like what you see and the price seems fair, dont hesitate to jump on it!

jay in nc

:text-welcomewave: im 17 miles west of wilson & the only gt14 ive seen was at an airport north of here to mow the runway.id love to have one but i realy need to thin the heard some. Farm girl ill look at the tractor if you want. and welcome to redsquare

KC9KAS

:WRS: , and :wwp:

FarmGirl

I am bummed. I emailed the guy right away and it was already sold, less than 24 hours after posting.  Thank you for all your input, I think I will be keeping my eyes open for another oportunity.

546cowboy

That's what happens if you don't get to the guy's house with the cash in hand. especially in an area where the pickings are slim. You don't have time to ask someone if it;s a good deal. You just have to consider weather you want it and how much you can afford. I would have thought that was a little high for that myself but with the extras you could have sold some of those to get the cost down. :twocents-02cents:

• Like 1