Sign in to follow this  
Chat6155

60" Deck question...

c-series don

I have a 416-h (twin cylinder onan) with 6" wheels and have the same minor issues. Also no big hills to worry about. The onan seems to have no trouble with it , but I don't let the grass get too tall. As for that ticking on deck engagement mine does the same thing and I could not find the problem. For some reason it does not do it every time, therefore if and when it becomes a problem I will deal with it. The steering is not really a problem because I have a big Peco vacuum system mounted on the tractor, so the more grass in the bagger the lighter the front end becomes. I actually thought of adding weight to the front end because when the bagger is getting near full she doesn't like to make turns. Speaking of this I need to go mow!!!

chrisd200(inactive)

I did the same thing with a 416-8 with the twin Onan. I did some very close measuring and had my friend who was a welder/fabricator help me to re-locate the deck hanger brackets slightly forward on the deck itself. This moved the deck back slightly closer to the rear wheels (but did not hit) and then I had no problems with the front wheels. Prior to this the front tires did scrub at full lock. Of course I had to use a different mule drive belt but no big deal at all. Cut quality was absolutely awesome!!!! I was so impressed with how smooth and even that big 60 could cut! As for the engine, I swear that 16 Onan loved that large deck. Power was NEVER an issue and the engine never seemed to be over worked. I try to maintain my grass height so I never "Bush-hogged" with the tractor but the power was more than adequate for a normal lawn. It was really the perfect tractor.... Steering was smooth and easy, turning radius was great, cut quality was wonderful, cut speed was great due to the large deck and the power was perfect. And of course, I never had a mechanical problem out of the tractor. WHY DID I SELL IT??????

Chat6155

I'm pretty sure Cheesegrater called it.   The imposter right covers' rear edge doesn't run parallel with the bar across the back that connects the gauge wheels.   If I can't find one close by, I'll probably fab one out of some scrap sheetmetal or ss that is laying around the shop.   At least I know what it is and doesn't seem to be causing the belt any distress.   It's the noises that I can't find that irritate me.

Other than that and the full lock steering issue, I'm nothing short of happy with the result of running the WH with the deck.   Have had absolutly no issues out if it so far [knock on wood].   Even felt guilty today for not firing up the Simplicity sitting in the back of the garage for 5 weeks.   So, quick oil check, turn the key, and the Briggs came to life.   Nice to know that it's there if I need it since the longevity of the 312 / 60"er is still an unknown.

I also thought about moving the under-the-engine Attach-a-matic a bit rearward if needed, but guess I got lucky [didn't really want to mess with the original design of the tractor.   Although cosmetically, she could use some tlc, mechanically, she's tight].   Another back up plan I had was, if worse came to worse, I could attach height adjustable casters to the front, fab up an attachment frame to hook it to the front Attach-a-matic, and have it self-powered with a vertical 8hp B&S I have.   Only issues with that is the Briggs is mid 60's vintage with recoil start only and it would be a significant footprint when parked in the garage.

Another question, if I may...many of you here refer to the 'mule drive'.   Is that the PTO belt adjustment on the front of the tractor?   If so, is it offical WH nomenclature or accepted owner / user jargon?   Are they different?   I'm using the one that I got with the 42 inch deck with no problems that I'm aware of.

boovuc

That is the mule drive with the pulleys and adjuster. The 60" deck on the 520's run a bit of a different mule drive on the 60" deck than the setup on the C-series and the other 300, 400 and 500 series garden tractors.

Chat6155

Thanks, boovuc.   Maybe, with time, I'll get up to speed on my WH as much as you all here are.