whfan74

New Tractor Club

953 nut

:help:     Are you teasing us?   Guess I will have to be patient.  :wwp: 

whfan74

Sorry for the delay everyone! Busy, busy evening tonight. Finally getting a chance to sit down, turn on some basketball on the tube, and hop on the iPad.

The wind was blowing and the snow was falling, but it was nice and toasty in our building. I can't stress enough how this has become such a huge blessing for these kids. We are slowly settling in and becoming very comfortable with our new work shop.

Tonight the kids worked on degreasing the block while getting it close to being ready for primer and paint. I still need to figure out where I am going to come up with a fuel pump for this engine, but we will figure that out in due time.

post-919-0-08772700-1394075843_thumb.jpg

Other club members were handed a paint brush and a tire from the tractor. I grabbed our bottle of tire paint from Miller Tire off of the shelf and made up a mixture of it and cut the kids loose. They really enjoyed teaming up and having a friendly competition to see who could do the best job. The kids really enjoyed working on something different other than sanding tonight. :)

post-919-0-98678800-1394075862_thumb.jpg

post-919-0-25116100-1394075879_thumb.jpg

Another great night during club tonight. I did get to share with the kids that we will be going on a field trip next week. We will be piling in cars after school and heading over to our powder coater. He has promised to have all of the parts blasted and prepped for powder. He will then teach the kids how the process works and allow them to do the application themselves. They are ecstatic. I told them that once this is done we will start reassembly soon after. This is starting to get really fun!

I am also trying to work with our local Fastenal to get some new hardware for reassembly of the machine. I am keeping my fingers crossed on this one!

As always, thank you for following along. Your comments are greatly appreciated and from time to time I show the kids the thread and read your support. It means so much to them!

• Like 1

Ken B

Looking down the road, you'll always be remembered by these kids when they are telling their kids about who their favorite teacher was and what their favorite class was that is for sure! Nice job Scott.

• Like 2

whfan74

Well thanks Ken but I don't know about that.  They are good kids and are a joy to work with.  I hope they will continue to find interest in areas such as this as they get older.  I have not regretted one minute of this........it has been a blast for me!

• Like 1

whfan74

Well I was hoping to be able to give an exciting update last night or even this morning.  Of course mother nature has not been too kind to us here lately.  Yesterday was our 10th cancellation of the year due to horrible weather.  Hard to believe it was in the low 50's on Monday and Tuesday and then we get hammered with snow yet again yesterday.

Last night we were scheduled to head to the powder coater.  The kids were going to learn the entire process and put the powder on the parts themselves.  We have now postponed until tonight so I am hoping I will have an awesome update for all of you along with some great photos of the event.

On a positive note we do have electric hooked up to the barn so no more extension cords to provide electricity.  A new heater has been mounted and we are in business.  We are just waiting for them to hook up everything to the security system that is connected to the school.  Pretty cool to say the least!

I will try and settle down in front of the tv tonight, pull out the iPad, and post an update for all of you. 

Thanks again for all of your support!!!!

whfan74

Wow what a blast we had tonight during our first field trip. The club loaded up in vehicles and headed northwest to the powder coater. The singing and conversations in the vehicle was very entertaining! :)

Once we arrived we were greeted by Gene Hochstetler and the kids were able to see some of their parts already completed. They were then moved over to another rack that had freshly sandblasted parts hanging from their tractor. Gene was able to explain how the powder is made, what it is composed of, how it is applied, and how the gun magnetizes the powder so it sticks to the parts. After he did a quick demonstration it was then time for each kid to apply the powder themselves. I told them to keep track of which parts they sprayed so that I know who applied it correctly! :)

Once all the parts were covered off they went to the oven for just over 15 minutes. We looked and learned more about the process before our new shiny parts came out of the oven. This is when the kids were able to admire their work.

The time flew by and they all seemed to enjoy the experience. I overheard kids saying on the trip back that this was the best field trip ever! It definitely put a smile on my face. :)

The kids looking at some of the parts as soon as we arrived.

post-919-0-21606000-1394752850_thumb.jpg

Looking and learning about the process and which parts they will be spraying.

post-919-0-19747100-1394752832_thumb.jpg

Admiring the parts that were previously done.

post-919-0-54277000-1394752813_thumb.jpg

post-919-0-49860300-1394752794_thumb.jpg

Applying the powder.......

post-919-0-50705600-1394752773_thumb.jpg

post-919-0-74391000-1394752756_thumb.jpg

post-919-0-99089800-1394752718_thumb.jpg

post-919-0-66591200-1394752702_thumb.jpg

post-919-0-73400500-1394752687_thumb.jpg

post-919-0-34832400-1394752635_thumb.jpg

In the oven they go......

post-919-0-61146100-1394752617_thumb.jpg

Pulling out the finished product......

post-919-0-31036700-1394752587_thumb.jpg

Checking for quality control......

post-919-0-23116700-1394752573_thumb.jpg

One final picture with Gene before we said our thank you and good byes.

post-919-0-46793800-1394752461_thumb.jpg

What a great time for the kids and adults. Great memories were made and now to get things back to the club barn and some reassembly will begin. They are definitely excited!

post-919-0-97030000-1394752599_thumb.jpg

Edited by whfan74
  • Like 2

953 nut

:woohoo:   I am excited too! So glad to see the children had a hand in the powder coating. :text-bravo: 

:text-thankyouyellow: 

• Like 1

stevebo

Scott-

As others have said ... YOU are the man for doing this with these kids. These days something like this would simply not fly out here. Way too many liability issues. It is good to know that some school admin still make good decisions and allowed you to follow through on this. You are getting to the fun part now...

• Like 2

lt230s

Scott,

You are to be commended for helping these youngsters learn and enjoy. I loved taking small engines class in high school. Gave me a chance to get dirty & learn during school rather than just sitting behind a desk.

As Stevebo said, we could only dream of doing something like that here on the east coast now. Our high school used to have FFA years ago. That went away & now they have FBLA

• Like 1

whfan74

Thank you guys for the comments and support.  I feel very fortunate to have the support of the school district as well as those in our community. 

Last night was a great time, even for the adults.  I saw a few of the kids today and they said thank you for last night.  That is the main reason why I do what I do.........glad to be able to share something that I enjoy with them.

And you guys are right, the fun is just now beginning for them.  Can't wait until next Wednesday!!!!

• Like 3

whfan74

Well it is Wednesday night and that means one important thing........Tractor Club Update!!!!!!!!

Well after an awesome field trip last week to the powder coater, we are now back in the barn. We do not have the entire tractor back and have also ran in to some issues with the transmission. Hopefully those little hiccups will be solved soon.

We at least had enough to start bolting things to the frame. It is slowly starting to take shape. The tires are just about done, and the motor will be taken back to our shop to get the final prep before primer and paint.

Now the tough part.......keeping all of these little hands busy. They all want to jump in and turn a wrench but as you all know, it is a process as this jigsaw puzzle goes back together.

I might just have to get one of my tractors over there for them to redo. :)

Well only snapped a few pictures tonight so I hope you enjoy!

post-919-0-25962400-1395280506_thumb.jpg

post-919-0-33243800-1395280520_thumb.jpg

post-919-0-76340000-1395280539_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

HorseFixer

Are those youngins for hire? :dunno:  Looks like their doing a mighty fine job. :handgestures-thumbup:

~Duke

• Like 1

lt230s

Are those youngins for hire? :dunno:  Looks like their doing a mighty fine job. :handgestures-thumbup:

~Duke

Definitely! I have a couple GTs waiting in the wings.

Great job they and YOU are doing.

• Like 1

rickdiver2003

Waiting for updates! Have I missed something? I have really enjoyed this ride!

• Like 1

whfan74

Thank you so much for following along. I appreciate you taking the time each week to check in and see what is going on.

We were able to get back to work on the machine this week. Unfortunately we were delayed a bit because tools were misplaced. Due to the down time I had a small issue with a few of the boys getting restless which led to some horseplay. Of course that doesn't mix well within a shop setting. One young man somehow bounced his head off the edge of the oil pan that was on a cart. He ended up with a good little goose egg. The young man received a stern talk and the parents were made aware of the incident. I have a good feeling that this behavior will not happen again! :)

Due the fact that we had some unfortunate hiccups at the beginning of club, I neglected to snap some photos. I did haul up my 603 that I have been wanting to redo. I am letting the kids tear it apart. I will pay for everything on this one, have it blasted and powder coated, and then let the kids put it back together. This will keep more hands busy which will help distract from unnecessary horseplay. This one will have a special place in my collection.

We are now on Spring Break so the next update will not be until the 16th. Thanks so much for following along!

Here is the 603 before they started tearing it down.

post-919-0-75550700-1396753579_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

AMC RULES

How's the class project coming along Scott, back up on all fours yet? 

rickdiver2003

Thanks Scott. I appreciate the update. As all have said you are doing a great job with these kids and seeing the girls in there getting there hands dirty makes it extra special.... Keep up the GREAT work!

• Like 1

953 nut

:text-thankyouyellow:  Scott, thanks for all you do. The before shot of your 603 looks better than most of my "afters"  :ROTF:   :text-lol: 

• Like 2

whfan74

We are back at it and have tons to do! It was great getting back together with the kids and moving forward with the project.

The kids came out to the barn and realized very quickly that we have less working space. While they were on Spring Break somehow the C-120 lured a C-121 in to the barn to keep it company. Clyde Potts in Wooster, Ohio donated the C-121 that was pretty much all repainted and ready for reassembly. The only catch was that I needed to get it out of his garage in a timely manner. Dad ended up doing the trip, which I am very grateful for and hauled the new machine back to the barn. After spending just over 8 hours behind the wheel, it finally made it to Warsaw. Dad really looks forward to the time with the club. He was glad he could help in this capacity.

We worked more tonight and found out with two tractors going together, we don't have much room. We are going to reorganize and have a better plan. We have about 7 weeks left of school and the club tractor WILL be done. We don't have a choice. The C-121 will get done if we can, but it isn't the top priority.

So tonight I worked with 4 kids on the C-121 and dad worked with 4 kids on the C-120. We were moving along pretty good until we ran in to a few snags on reassembly. All of those little hands were busier tonight and thankfully no horseplay with injuries.

Here are a few pictures that I snapped off tonight. Notice the multitude of parts. The only problems we have are good ones! We are so thankful for the generosity!

Enjoy......

post-919-0-57635000-1397690380_thumb.jpg

post-919-0-14249700-1397690392_thumb.jpg

post-919-0-24072000-1397690403_thumb.jpg

post-919-0-62989800-1397690415_thumb.jpg

And of course my goofy daughter doing a signature photo bomb! :)

post-919-0-43040400-1397690427_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Racinbob

Every time I read an update to this I just grin from ear to ear. Scott, you are the man and from the looks on the kids faces in all the pictures I know they will agree with me.

• Like 4

953 nut

:text-bravo: Always look forward to your updates, you and your dad are doing such a great job with the students.  :text-thankyouyellow: 

• Like 1

whfan74

Thanks for the nice words guys.  We are definitely having a lot of fun with this project.  It is hard to believe everything that has been done and accomplished this year.  What a great FIRST year for the club.

My 603 has now been put on hold and it doesn't look like I need to even bother with having the kids mess with that as we have enough things to do to keep everyone busy.  It is now a race to the finish line as we only have 7 more club meetings left!!!!!!  Now I am getting a little concerned.  It looks as though a Saturday morning work day will be in our near future.  We don't have a choice......we have to be done with at least the club tractor.  I think I can, I think I can, I think I can............we are the little club that could!

Stay tuned as the wrenches will be flying in this mad dash to the end.

Thanks again for following along!

• Like 1

whfan74

Sorry everyone for no update last night.  We have been very busy in trying to get caught up.  We are waaaaay behind schedule and have to make up some ground quickly on this thing or we won't meet our deadline.  I was the only adult at club last night so I was hopping back and forth between the two tractors trying to keep all of the kids busy.  By the time club was done I remembered I forgot to take some photos of our progress.  I apologize for that.

At the end of club last night we tried to tidy up the barn a bit as the local newspaper, school officials, friends, and family will all be attending next week to honor the kids for the hard work they have put in this year.  We wanted the barn to look presentable as the kids are excited about having an opportunity to be in the paper.

I will definitely get pictures next week and share them with you.  Should be a very memorable experience.  In the meantime I will try and get out to the barn and take some photos for you.  :)

Thanks for following along!

• Like 1

whfan74

Here are some pictures of where we left off.....

post-919-0-76487500-1398343087_thumb.jpg

post-919-0-00527100-1398343206_thumb.jpg

post-919-0-53850200-1398343296_thumb.jpg

post-919-0-34130800-1398343402_thumb.jpg

We also received a very nice surprise last week as Hoffman's Outdoor Power Equipment in Etna Green, IN donated a C-120 for the kids to work on next year. All I can say is WOW! We are truly blessed. We are hoping to acquire another machine next year so we can really get some things done. Here it is in storage at the school.

post-919-0-83035000-1398343528_thumb.jpg

So as of right now we are putting together a C-120 and a C-121. This has been a blast!

• Like 1

whfan74

Tonight is another big night for the kids in tractor club.  Stay tuned for updates. 

Thank you to everyone that is following along on this journey!

• Like 3