whfan74

New Tractor Club

SousaKerry

Good ol radiant heater on a bottle of propane works great and it's cheap but with the kids you'll have to put a fence around it.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Keep up the good work and whatever you do don't let them find out about media blasters or you'll never get them to pick up a piece of sandpaper again.

whfan74

No club meeting this week since the kids will be on Fall Break. I will continue with updates next week.

The kids will be getting their t-shirts tomorrow which I am excited about.

Also doing some shopping for a good infrared heater for our workspace. It isn't getting any warmer around here!

whfan74

Excited for another night of tractor club with the kids.  Last week was our fall break so we haven't been in the barn for 2 weeks.  Many of them have been wearing their new club shirts to school and showing them off to classmates.  :)

I will try and grab a couple of pictures tonight and give a little write up on where we are at.

Should be fun!!!!!

whfan74

Well back to the grind with these great kids. I am sure they are starting to have nightmares about sanding already! :)

The weather cooperated for us and we were able to keep the barn open for some fresh air and a light breeze. It seemed to be comedy hour tonight as everyone was trying to get others to laugh. It was a lot of fun to say the least.

Sanding commenced and the engine was finally unbolted and taken off the frame. They were excited to get to this point as it was another small milestone in the process.

Here are a few shots of the kids at work. If you notice in the pictures a few of them are wearing their no club t-shirts that are sporting the cool logo Terry designed for us!

post-919-0-27318500-1383174133_thumb.jpg

post-919-0-90570800-1383174142_thumb.jpg

post-919-0-72375200-1383174151_thumb.jpg

post-919-0-54601200-1383174162_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

speedyleedy

Keep up the good work Scott you never know how this might change the course of these young people's life down the road ? :) Plus it get's them away from  there tv & video game's for awhile........ :thumbs2:

• Like 1

953 nut

:text-thankyouyellow:   You are doing a wonderful thing here, thanks for sharing.  :text-goodpost: 

• Like 1

Old Ways

This is awesome!   I plan to one day be a teacher (Music. Ed.) and would love to do something like this!  They seem to make fantastic little workers!  Keep up the good work!

• Like 2

c-series don

It's people like you that that made people like me want to go to school! My shop teacher is the reason I stayed in school and got a diploma. Thank you can't wait to see the finished product and the sense of pride and achievement the kids will have.

• Like 1

whfan74

Well it is Wednesday night so we all know what that means.........another fun night of tractor club!

We added a couple of heaters out in the barn and it made it nice for all of us to get some work done. I also added a stereo so we had some tunes to listen to. The music made things a lot more fun as we had a few kids thinking it was a dance off competition! These kids crack me up!

Sanding commenced and they all seemed a lot more energized tonight. We were able to make some progress and a few things are very close to being ready for primer. I was able to snap a few more pictures of the kids hard at work!

Hope you enjoy!

post-919-0-98588600-1383785395_thumb.jpg

post-919-0-25601900-1383785408_thumb.jpg

post-919-0-36503700-1383785424_thumb.jpg

post-919-0-25853800-1383785455_thumb.jpg

post-919-0-65045400-1383785471_thumb.jpg

post-919-0-74010300-1383785488_thumb.jpg

post-919-0-28643500-1383785501_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Old Ways

This is great!  Can't wait to see more!

• Like 1

953 nut

:text-goodpost:   Scott, we always look forward to your updates, you are keeping our hobby going on to the next generation. :text-bravo:  We are proud to have you as a member. :text-coolphotos:  

Edited by 953 nut
  • Like 2

AMC RULES

How do we join this :wh: club?    :handgestures-thumbsup: 

• Like 3

whfan74

Thanks so much guys and I am glad you are enjoying the posts.  Here lately many of them are starting to look a lot alike.  Hopefully as things progress we will be able to get in to some different types of body work, filler, priming, more sanding, and then before too long some red paint will be hitting some of these pieces.

I can honestly say that this has been a highlight of many of my weeks.  The kids are very ambitious and have a great sense of humor as we love sharing jokes each Wednesday.

Even though we have until the end of May to get this thing done, I am already feeling the stress of making that deadline.  I am sure we will make it and we will meet more than once a week if we need to. 

Thanks for checking up on this thread.  I always look forward to sharing our experience with you!

• Like 4

lt230s

Thanks for the update!.

I love the T-shirts and kids look like they are definitely enjoying it.

• Like 1

whfan74

Update!!!!!

Well it is again Wednesday night which means TRACTOR CLUB!!!!! 

We have finally hit a stumbling block.  I went out during my lunch break and turned on the two heaters full blast.  Much to my amazement, or should I say disappointment, they couldn't keep up.  It was darn cold in the barn tonight.  Our group was small tonight and about half focused on the cold, while the other half was focused on working.  I tried to encourage them to keep moving while sanding and that would help, but it fell on frozen ears!  :)  The kids didn't complain but I could tell that it bothered a few of them a bit.

Now I am in the brainstorming process and trying to search for available grants that could possibly help remedy our situation.  I have some creative ideas brewing in my thick noggin that hopefully will work.  I am going to do my best to figure out how we can get that pole barn insulated before too long or we won't be able to stay on schedule.  We can't afford to have this winter a bust!  Transporting kids over to my dad's heated building is out of the question so we will have to come up with a solution, and fast!

I didn't get any pictures taken tonight as I was working away to hopefully set a good example for the kids. 

It was still a productive night but not as good as it could have been.  We will adapt and continue to move forward.  Hopefully I will have some good news that will pop up around the corner.

And oh yes.....for those that know me.  Yes I was wearing shorts and a sweatshirt and felt fine!  :)

• Like 3

whfan74

Sorry to those of you that were looking forward to an update.

Well my burning the candle at both ends has caught up to me. I had to cancel our club last night since I am home battling bronchitis. :(. I have my z-pack getting in to my system so those good old antibiotics should be taking over soon!

Going to try and squeeze in a club meeting next week before Thanksgiving. We have a ton to do!

953 nut

:text-yeahthat:   Get well soon, the kids are counting on you (so are we).  :text-lol: 

• Like 1

Vinylguy

Well it is Wednesday night so we all know what that means.........another fun night of tractor club!

We added a couple of heaters out in the barn and it made it nice for all of us to get some work done. I also added a stereo so we had some tunes to listen to. The music made things a lot more fun as we had a few kids thinking it was a dance off competition! These kids crack me up!

Sanding commenced and they all seemed a lot more energized tonight. We were able to make some progress and a few things are very close to being ready for primer. I was able to snap a few more pictures of the kids hard at work!

Hope you enjoy

AWESOME SHIRTS SCOTT!!

• Like 1

Dkphillips

I really enjoy following your project progress. Those kids are lucky to have someone like you that really cares about their "education" in different areas other than their normal classes. Sort of reminds me of the wood shop class I had a million years ago. Heck us followers will probably learn something too!

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK.

• Like 2

whfan74

Well an early update!

The bronchitis is about gone and my energy level is finally coming back! :)

Well I know it isn't Wednesday but we have a tractor club update. Due to the fact that Thanksgiving is right around the corner, I moved our club night up. Many parents enjoy starting the holiday break as soon as the final bell rings on Wednesday afternoon.

The day started off on a very positive note. Through the grapevine a group heard about our dilemma of having a pretty chilly place to work. Needless to say they are willing to come in on a weekend and insulate the entire barn just for our club. I am so very thankful, I can't believe the generosity of so many folks from here on RedSquare, as well as our community.

The kids worked hard again tonight and with an extra heater in the barn, it was a manageable environment to work in.

I took a couple of videos that show a small glimpse of what happens during club time. I am currently trying to build a YouTube account so that I can share it with the rest of you. I will be sure to post when I get everything worked out.

Here are some photos of the fun tonight!

post-919-0-80615300-1385515626_thumb.jpg

post-919-0-37281100-1385515679_thumb.jpg

post-919-0-37854000-1385515703_thumb.jpg

post-919-0-34194900-1385515731_thumb.jpg

post-919-0-21277200-1385515755_thumb.jpg

Here is a photo of the kids standing around as my dad just finished using a torch to help break free the rust on a very stubborn locking collar. He was able to explain to the kids why the heat was able to loosen up the set screw so the locking collar could be removed. They all thought it was pretty cool how well it worked.

post-919-0-56171000-1385515949_thumb.jpg

My 4 year old is part of the club too! Here is what he thinks about the progress we have been making so far.

post-919-0-88429900-1385516060_thumb.jpg

Tune in next week for our next update!

• Like 4

AMC RULES

So awesome... :handgestures-thumbsup: 

the power of the :wh: .  

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 1

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:   I would be willing to bet that most of the children will tell the parents about your dad using the torch and they won't have a clue. You are giving them a good foundation to build on.  :text-thankyouyellow: 

• Like 1

cruisnblue48

Scott, this is truly an amazing project you have going here with these kids. If I was in a club like this 50 years ago when I was their age, I would have gotten straight A's in the four R's... Readin', Ritin', Rithmetic, and Rebuilding a Horse!!! Would be nice if your workers had portable work benches or "wooden horses" with plywood tops to work with small parts while standing or sitting on a stool or something. Seeing them working on the floor hurts "my" back. Seriously, you are doing great! Continued success with this club and all future projects that come along.

Edited by wildfirepony
  • Like 3

clintonnut

Great job man! 

I really like seeing this and your attention to things like PPE. Nothing's better when a parent stops by and sees their kid wearing masks for dust, goggles and gloves when needed. I wish I had this kind of opportunity in elementary school. It's quite interesting to see those kids' interest in the hobby. One thing I would consider if I were you is to find some pieces of 1" thick high density foam for the kids to sit on that concrete floor. I would appreciate that if I were them especially since I have to sit on a concrete floor quite often when I'm in my shop. 

I like how the restoration isn't some half-effort. Bare metal is a sign of a quality job for sure!

Charlie

• Like 1

Anglo Traction

Glad to hear your on the mend Scott. Good to see the Young-ens sticking with the dirty hard graft jobs at this stage. They will be even more enthusiastic when they see the results and the clean shiny bits pile up ready for assembly. They will probably be pestering you for 2 evenings a week then.

Great work.

Regards

• Like 2