whfan74

New Tractor Club

AMC RULES

Part of the curriculum should include some IT, and english skills...

necessary to update the forum of the progress of the tractors restoration.  :handgestures-thumbsup: 

• Like 1

speedyleedy

That's a great idea Scott, keep use updated on your progress ! I would be maybe willing to donate a tractor or part's for future project if possible. Tim

• Like 1

whfan74

Thanks you guys. I will be taking and posting photos once the project moves forward.

Thank you for your generosity Tim, I might need your help down the road.

Flyers and permission slips will be heading home tomorrow. Can't wait! Hopefully I get a good response from kids that don't get involved in much but would like to be part of this project.

Edited by whfan74

papaglide

Great idea Scott. Good luck with it? I am looking forward to the updates.

• Like 1

KC9KAS

Very good idea.

I was a visitor to a high school auto mechanic class a few years ago. They would buy a car, rebuild the engine and transmission and do some body work, then auction it off for the next years project funds.

They finally had enough extra money to buy a computer controlled plasma cutter...That wo so neat to have them "cut" my name out of a piece of steel.

It is great to see a teacher with a some fore-sight and not just show-up for class each day.

• Like 1

546cowboy

That is the kind of stuff kids should learn in school. A hands on application of practical skills. You could also have them work on a weekly newsletter documenting their daily progress. Also get them to figure the cost factors including their time at a reasonable rate. That way you will have the skills of language arts and composition for the news letter, math for the cost of the project and the hands-on experience of the completed project. It should be a great team building experience for those kids.

• Like 1

953 nut

:woohoo:   Your school system and administrators are outstanding to let this idea take root. We need to come up with some sort of recognition for them and you for taking on such a project, students in most schools are only learning to pass tests, not to meet challenges.  :text-bravo: 

:USA: 

• Like 2

Jeff-C175

546Cowboy's comment is great!

If some of the kids who want to be involved don't have aptitude in certain areas such as turning a wrench, maybe they are better at writing, or 'rithmetic ... sort of like the way a REAL business operates.  Some of the workers solder resistors, some put the frammises together, some count beans...

All God's children got a place in the choir, some sing low, some sing higher, and some just clap their hands!

Edited by Jeffpicks
  • Like 2

horsesaver98

that would be so cool wish that was an option when I was in elementary and if you need some help with stuff I would be glad to help with any thing and mabe you could host a small tractor show at the school as a fun raiser for parts and stuff :)

• Like 1

bowtieguy

A teacher friend of mine got tired of seeing kids sent to study hall with nothing to do...so he started a auto class for girls...brought in a car to teach them how to check the water, oil etc, change a tire....next thing he knew he had all the "study hall" boys wanting to get in the class.(girls will do that)...some one donated a 53 Ford p/up for them to work on....they put new wood in the bed floor...fancy wheels..painted it and sold it for big bucks to fund the project for the next year.

Sad part...the school closed the metal and woodworking shop and replaced it with computers....now the kids don't know how to check the oil, change a tire or do anything to fix up an ole car...BUT they sure know how to TEXT!!!!...some of them are the same kids that will be taking care of you in a nursing home one of these days~~~!!

PS...Good luck with your project...i'm likin' it!

• Like 2

whfan74

Thanks for all of the nice words and encouragement.  I received 6 permission slips already this morning, 4 boys and 2 girls.  I am getting really excited about taking this project on and hopefully can make it a meaningful experience for all of those involved.

I will try to keep everything updated with information and pictures the best that I can.

SousaKerry

And the best part is these kids will learn that lawn tractors are not all green and yellow and come from a big box store for 1200 bucks, and that you have to buy a new one every 4 years.

Edited by SousaKerry
  • Like 5

lt230s

That is great thing your doing and glad to hear about the response your getting. :bow-blue:  Definitely keep us updated on how it's going.

I will never forget my small engine class that I had freshman year at high school. Taught me a lot about how things work and how to figure out what's wrong before jumping in feet first.

• Like 1

RMCIII

Whatever, or wherever you do the auction. Make sure you figure out a way to include it in the Annual Wheel Horse Event. I am sure it would go for a premium there.

• Like 1

953 nut

Whatever, or wherever you do the auction. Make sure you figure out a way to include it in the Annual Wheel Horse Event. I am sure it would go for a premium there.

:text-thankyouyellow:   That is a great idea, we might want to see if it could be a webcast to members who can't make the big show also.  :text-bravo: 

• Like 2

RMCIII

I'm actually kind of jealous. Think I'll see if I can't enroll back to grade school. What school did you say you taught at? :woohoo:  :greetings-clappingyellow:

• Like 1

neil

What a wonderful thing to do. Im sure the kids are gonna really enjoy this project & it will give them a massive sensen of acheivemnt when its completed.

Sadly kids of today are not involved in these sorts of projects & thay are really missing out , Computors are great but practical experience is far greater

Well done Scott

• Like 1

whfan74

Last night we had our first club meeting to cover safety, teamwork, expectations, academics, and the overall general process of the project.  The kids had a chance to look over the tractor last night and search for things that need to be replaced or repaired.  They did a pretty good job without having any prior knowledge to draw from.  The time flew by and all of us couldn't believe that we had to wait until next week to start the project.  Tear down will commence next Wednesday after school.

Here is a picture of the kids around the tractor!!!!!

post-919-0-10091000-1379002416_thumb.jpe

post-919-0-51878100-1379002456_thumb.jpg

Edited by whfan74
  • Like 2

953 nut

:text-bravo: That is quite a herd you have there, you and your shool's principal are to be congratulated for taking on this project. Looking forward to ongoing coverage of the club. :text-goodpost:  Keep us in mind when you need support.

• Like 1

C-101plowerpower

very cool initiative, i wish i had something like that when i was younger, we only had old electronics and a few hammers to smash em up.

keep us updated :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

whfan74

They are a great group of kids, but surely a handful.  What has impressed me the most the past couple of days is that every time they see me in the hall they have a question or are excited about the next club meeting.

Next Wednesday we are going to start disassembly of the machine.  Hopefully we don't have too many cooks in the kitchen scenario and are able to stay on task.

So far so good and I will continue to update as this progresses!

• Like 1

whfan74

Club meeting #2 was a huge success! The kids were really in to it and were ready for the tear down process. We had our first bloody knuckle, dirty hands, and many :). I have a great group of very polite kids to work with.

Here are some pics of the many hands hard at work. Only one stripped out screw on the dash so far! That is a huge hurdle in itself.

On to the pics.......

post-919-0-32347900-1379547987_thumb.jpg

post-919-0-09742000-1379548126_thumb.jpg

post-919-0-11255300-1379548192_thumb.jpg

post-919-0-65641700-1379548224_thumb.jpg

post-919-0-08290800-1379548255_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

AMC RULES

Looks like them girls are making it happen.   :) 

• Like 1