Sign in to follow this  
IBleedRed

K241 Is it timing or a valve problem?

IBleedRed

Over the weekend I picked up a couple Cadets to fix up and sell. The one I've been focusing on has a 10hp Kohler with a starter generator. Spent the day checking the basics, spark, carburator cleaned, and compression. I poored a little gas down the cylinder, put the plug in and cranked it over. Immediately it starts blowing out through the carb, so I pulled the head to check the valves. Everything was in working order, cleaned around the vlalves and made sure they were seating properly. Put back together, tried it again, and it was still blowing out through the carb. The craziest thing is that when I hold the throttle flap shut it sounds like its gonna start. I've checked and double checked everything, and I'm 90% sure the engine has never been apart leaving me to believe the cam shaft is in proper timing. Any and all help appreciated.

P.S. I know its biggest problem is that it's yellow, but it's still a kohler.

Fordiesel69

If the rod is way loose it will act like that.  Also I just had one with a worn camshaft, and while running it was puffing our the carb to a point it sounded like the exhaust. 

Oh, and did you double check the gaps on the intake & exhaust valves?

IBleedRed

I'm not sure on how to check the gaps, but the valves opened and closed at the appropriate times. Tonight I'll have to check and see if there's play when I turn the crank back and forth.

IBleedRed

Well I solved the mystery. When I brought it home I had to put a starter generator on it, so I grabbed one off a 10hp from 1054. What I didn't think about was that since it ran off the flywheel it turns clockwise. The cubs have a setup that runs off the pto pulley and requires a counter clockwise rotation. The hole problem was as simple as the fact that I was trying start the engine while spinning it backwards.