pfrederi

Overhauling an Eaton 1100

pfrederi

We have had several threads about overhauling Sundstrands.  Are there some on overhauling Eatons?  My search didn't turn up much.

I have a 418A that is approaching 2000 hours (she was an auction rescue) and she speeds up downhill, slows on the uphill requiring alot of adjusting the speed control lever.

Filter and fluid change didn't do much.

I have had success improving Sundstrands performance by resurfacing slippers and valve plates but Eaton are a different animal.

• Like 3

Hodge71

Sounds like a great future project for us.....LOL.  I wonder if they have any manuals out there to go by Paul.....

• Like 1

pfrederi

Guess I had better start researching.  I have an extra unit to train on

Sort of like the old AAMCO commercial with the two bubbas one saying he always wanted to work on an automatic Transmission.... :)

• Like 1

Hodge71

LMAO Paul..I remember that commercial. I've been doing a little research, cant find any books for the Eaton 1100, not even from Eaton. I even tried to generically search radial axis hydraulic pumps and its not any better.

• Sad 1

buckrancher

the eaton 1100 wil speed up on down hill as you can push the tractor up to 2 mph before the hydro kicks in

Brian

• Like 1

pfrederi

the eaton 1100 wil speed up on down hill as you can push the tractor up to 2 mph before the hydro kicks in

Brian

Didn't know that, I thought they should hold speed.  That is why I really like my 8 speed for hilly portions.  Like the infomercial says "Set it and forget it" with the 8 speed the hydro requires too much speed control work.

• Like 1

SousaKerry

THere is a manual for the 1100 tranies put out by wheel horse.  Not sure where I got it I may have actually purchased it through the Toro site.

• Like 2

Jake217

Hey Paul,

I have the Wheel Horse Eaton 1100 manual.  PM me and I'll email a copy to you.  I'm very interested in how you make out because I would like to tear down one of my 1100's at some point.

Good Luck!

• Like 1

pfrederi

Hey Paul,

I have the Wheel Horse Eaton 1100 manual.  PM me and I'll email a copy to you.  I'm very interested in how you make out because I would like to tear down one of my 1100's at some point.

Good Luck!

Jake Thank you for the offer, but I found the appropriate electrons.

When winter gets here i will open up the spare unit I have and see what goes on.  Will post my findings

• Like 1

Hodge71

Winters not too far away Paul...I may be seeing you sooner than expected...lol

• Like 1

cod

I've got a 418-A that does the same thing so if you can keep an update going it could come in handy as I was wondering about trying 10w40 oil to see if that improved uphill movement.  There an Eaton 1100 manual in the Manuals section that has directions on how to rebuild one but I haven't a clue if one can find a rebuild kit.

Good luck - Cod

• Like 1

Aussie

I have recently rebuilt the hydro unit in one of my 520H tractors, but haven't tried it out yet as the tractor has some way to go before it is finished. The seal kit is available p.n. 563310 and priced at $40.11 from Jack's where I get all my parts. Input and output shaft bearings are commonly available from bearing suppliers. I pulled mine down and cleaned everything then reassembled with new seals and replaced input shaft bearing. The output bearing was fine as it is constantly flooded with oil being the return path for oil from the hydro to trans. The input bearing is sealed so I replaced that as a precaution. Things to look for are wear and scoring in the pump and rotor balls and races and these can be fairly terminal or expensive to replace. Other than that it is vital to keep the balls in their correct pockets and obviously cleanliness is essential. My hydro was in good condition without apparent issues so I reassembled everything. I took a heap of photos but not a step by step record. The manual is easy to follow. The main reason I pulled mine apart was I was worried about corrosion of the cooling fins so I got the housing blasted.

post-3437-0-86508700-1378788716_thumb.jp

post-3437-0-71940500-1378788757_thumb.jp

post-3437-0-35723200-1378788786_thumb.jp

• Like 6
  • Excellent 3

pfrederi

Great info and pictures...Thank You!!

• Like 1

Daniels8286

What is the input shaft bearing number? I tore my Eaton down cause the input bearing was toast. I got a number off a friends 1100 which was 6204DU. When I received the new bearing it was to big for the shaft. Any help would be awesome. 

• Like 1

953 nut

@Daniels8286:WRS:  You will get a lot better results by posting a new subject rather than posting to an old topic thread.

At the top right of the home page you will see "Create" click on it and then click on "topic", next click on "Select" then click on "transmissions and transaxles". Click on "Continue" then post a "Title" and the question about the bearing. Include the model number of your :wh: also.

Lots of members know a good deal about repair of Eatons. and more people will respond to a new posting.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Huber54

I have a machine with an Eaton 11 transmisssion. It's a Huber lawn roller. No, I can't get info on it. When it heats up, the trnsmission loses power and spits fluid back out the reseervoir.  Is this a seal problem or a worn out parts problem?

Thank you for your experience.

20231102_103050.jpg

20231101_172953.jpg

• Like 1

953 nut
On 12/14/2017 at 8:57 PM, 953 nut said:

@Daniels8286:WRS:  You will get a lot better results by posting a new subject rather than posting to an old topic thread.

At the top right of the home page you will see "Create" click on it and then click on "topic", next click on "Select" then click on "transmissions and transaxles". Click on "Continue" then post a "Title" and the question about the bearing. Include the model number of your :wh: also.

Lots of members know a good deal about repair of Eatons. and more people will respond to a new posting.

Hope this helps.

@Huber54, please start a new post so more people will see it                          :WRS:

• Like 1