Butch

8 sp gear lube. SAE140 or SAE85w140?

Butch

Straight SAE140 is very hard to find. Lucas makes it and you can buy it at Jeggs. Not cheap. SAE85W140 is made by everyone. My WH manual

says to use SAE140 straight. Any of you using the multi-grade gear lube? What would the multi-grade hurt by using it. It must be heat related.

Is it possible that when the tractor was made they didn't have multigrade gear lubes hence the straight SAE140.

rmaynard

85/140 is what the lubrication manual calls for, but I don't see why 140 wouldn't work well in summer weather. Might be a little stiff in winter.

• Like 1

Butch

Thanks Bob. Yeah my Blackhood manual shows it straight. I never did look at my lube manual. So I'll  now use the 85/140. Thanks again.

• Like 1

Tom J

I have the same question, for my '73 14-8 tractor. Has the 85-140W gear oil been ok to substitute for straight SAE 140 as the manual asks for? No plowing for me, just grass and trailer pulling.

Tom

Boston

rmaynard

The lubrication chart calls for 90/140 for your 14-8. I would just go to Walmart and get a gallon jug of 85/140 for $12.76.

• Like 1

Stubby

I have replaced mine on my c101 and c105 with 85-140 but after I run it it looks kind of milky. Normally that would be water issue. But this is the second time and I am going to change it one more time. Not sure if that is normal, which I am thinking it is not.

slim67

I got this out of an elderly neighbors trash. He passed away and his wife has been getting rid of stuff. The pump works and it’s still half full. I will use it for my 654.

E44AC45A-5D79-4E20-BB2F-CE9577657908.jpeg

tom2p
1 hour ago, Stubby said:

I have replaced mine on my c101 and c105 with 85-140 but after I run it it looks kind of milky. Normally that would be water issue. But this is the second time and I am going to change it one more time. Not sure if that is normal, which I am thinking it is not.

could be result of old milky oil or residue remaining in the trans after it was drained ?

many jack up the tractor to ensure all oil is drained - including oil sitting behind a bump in the lower part of the case 

will also flush with diesel or kerosene ... ATF ... 

it's possible you did this - but some milky oil residue still remained 

Edited by tom2p

Stubby

I just finished it, flushed it twice with diesel and added new. Not milky anymore. Garage kept machines one with plow and one with snowblower. Ready to go now. 

Thanks

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

stevasaurus

I think Diesel is the best for flushing.  I would not use ATF, no matter what, you would have a red residue that may not agree with your new 90wt oil.  :occasion-xmas:

tom2p
22 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

I think Diesel is the best for flushing.  I would not use ATF, no matter what, you would have a red residue that may not agree with your new 90wt oil.  :occasion-xmas:

did not have kerosene or diesel on hand - so I used ATF ... (inherited a number ATF quarts from family member)

ATF has great lubricating properties and detergents - so I gave it a try 

worked well - though I did flush again with gear lube before final fill

I don't believe there should be any bad effects on brass or bronze or copper ... ? ... or whatever materials are lurking inside the Wheel Horse 8 speed trans ...