Sign in to follow this  
BretzFamily

Hello everyone have a few more questions

BretzFamily

Well as my last questions and things worked well and my Wheelhorse 417a runs better then ever. My mule drive keeps eating belts for the deck so its just my trailer puller.

Well my real question is I just gotten a Workhorse lt1600 with a mowing deck. What is the good and bad about this kind of model. I. read on here about the gt being horizontal so the lt must be vertical. it cost me 200 in labor i bartered for it. rebuilt 5 engines with customer provide parts and gave.him a troy bilt self propelled with back deck and a 12.5 i rebuit without spending any money. But anyways what you guys think.

post-11075-0-81701000-1377256333.jpeg

leeave96

Don't know much about the vertical shaft Wheelhorse/Workhorse lawn tractors, but if your mule drive on your 417A is eating belts - that's got to be fixable.  I've never had any trouble with mine, they are easily serviceable/repairable.

Can you tell us what's wrong with your mule drive and maybe we can help troubleshoot it.

BTW - the 417A, if you can get he mule drive fixed should give you a GREAT cut.

Hopefully someone can chime-in on your Workhorse tractor too.

Good luck,

Bill

BretzFamily

Ok how tight should it be? i do it just taunt i replaced v pulley and idler good shape. also pulley on belt great. my adjustment knob is broke but does not affect anything stays where is. so what you think

Ed Kennell

Where is it rubbing ? has to be rubbing somewere to eat the belt. Did you check the deck pulley for debris and deck belt guard for clearance. I have had grass build up in the deck pulley enough to lift the belt and cause erratic belt slapping.

BretzFamily

I clean it regularly because i hate deck rot. everything seem good ill take one more look. and i will let you know.

it'll be later though today. ohv rebuild what fun right?

leeave96

I tighten my mule drive belt until I can press down on the top belt part of the loop - coming off the engine pto to the mule drive.  If I can press on the center of that section of the belt and get 1/2ish in deflection, I'm good.

Also, the deck belt should be on the inside pulley at the engine.  If it's in the smaller diameter pulley, your belt alignment might be out of wack when it reaches the mule drive.  Also, be sure the belt guard on the mule drive isn't rubbing the belt.

If a belt is shredding, I'm thinking something is rubbing or a pulley is seizing and the belt is slipping.  This belt arrangement from engine to deck is pretty simple - so whatever is causing the belt to shred, it should be easily found.

BretzFamily

It flips over and runs the otherway. sorry its humidy heat...and tears up

Ed Kennell

If it flips over, it must not be installed correctly, or your belt is too narrow . I'll send a pic of correct installation as soon as the Little League World Series is over.

leeave96

Check this with your set-up, one mule drive pulley is for the V of the belt to set into and the other is for the backside of the belt to ride on.  So if you are putting the V down on both of the pulleys that is not correct and might account for the belt flipping.  The top loop of the belt coming to the mule drive has the V down into the pulley and the bottom loop of the belt coming down to the pulley (idler pulley) should have it's flat/backside against it.  Here is a link to a manual that shows the belt arrangement.  http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/1877-mower-rotary-42in-sd-1973-74-5-1010-om-ipl-a-5328pdf/

I've got high hopes for you on this one - I think it's a simple fix.  I've never had a belt flip on a Wheelhorse in over 15 years.  I think you'll get this figured out sooner than later!  Once you get that 417A mowing - you'll never look back!

Good luck,

Bill

Ed Kennell

Here is the pic of the correct installation. Make sure the belt coming off the top of the PTO is go ng to the VEE pulley on the mule drive. The belt coming off the bottom of the PTO must go to the flat pulley and the belt runs on the back side on this pulley. Do not twist the belt from the mule to the mower.

BretzFamily

Well it looks the same as i have it. tried it looks good will mow my grass this weekend will let you guys.know what happens. yeah i never turned back soon as i got it for free. my wife bout cut my head off when.someone offered 600 an i almost took it.

I have a couple questions about the Workhorse lt1600

Ok from my understanding its a 16 hp vertical shaft that came with.no deck or nothing. the side discharge was bought after thought. First question is the deck worth more then the tractor. or is it better to sell whole. Seen the gt models has.problems with the.whole vertical pto clutch and the briggs not being able to handle it. I could not find.much of anything for the lt models. so not to sure about much. i went.through abd made it run right does idle and.run well at full tilt. bad ignition though have all parts. also before and after i changed the oil when i start and run this machine i smell cologne like musk. the oil was concentrated with it before and.now after there is still a scent of it. never came across.anything like it so any thoughts?

also i have a rear discharge for.my 417 could i modify my lt side discharge deck for use on my 417 . i eyed it up but does not look it any thoughts on that

i enclosed pictures of the lt1600

post-11075-0-96093900-1377693503_thumb.j

post-11075-0-43616700-1377693529_thumb.j

armyvetwh

if properly maintained that engine should last a long time. i had a B+S 18 similiar to it, and was told that it should run for a good long time before you need to do any major work on it. mine was mounted on a (SHUDDER) JOHN DEER(STILL SHUDDERING). hate them machines. worked to hard on the one my friend has. his has one of those circuit boards hard wired to the ignition switch. told him the switch needed replacing, he replaced it at the tune of $150. :laughing-rolling:  GIVE ME MY WHEEL HORSE.

BretzFamily

Well the 417 cuts the same no chewing of belts yet whicch is good.

the lt 1600 went up to some dad and his kid in leland/bellville. his son redid a c series and his dad had one also. so they got a.steal at 125 to redo the lt1600. Got a damn steal. all i say is good luck to them. i got a line.on.another.

yeah i am getting an 18 twin here soon. they run hard for being older.