Sign in to follow this  
Nick

Building backhoes

Nick

Cold raining day here in Ohio so started looking around the web for pictures and videos of backhoe/mini excavators. My project wont get started for a while but cant hurt to see what others have done. Below are some links to an MTD backhoe video, mini excavator video and the PF engineering plans/pictures website. There are many backhoe and excavator videos on youtube if you look around.

Also thought I might ask where the rest of you buy parts for projects. Ive found some things on ebay and used surpluscenter.com for cylinders and hose. I have a big old valve for the backhoe project but its not perfect, anyone know where the best deal is for a small 6 spool backhoe valve?

PF backhoe plans and customer picture pages

Nick

Mith

Here is a picture of mine, without bucket.

I built it from looking at pictures on the PF site, and from looking at mini-excavators. If you havent already, rent a mini-exc for a weekend, not only are they quite good fun, but you'll get a good idea of the workings.

11-12-07_1744.jpg

T-Mo

Jim,

Yours is coming along nicely. Looks good.

Nick,

I can't wait to see pictures of your project. Be sure to post them.

Nick

Dale,

Thanks for the links. Ive had good luck with surplus center but cant hurt to look around. Found another small surplus place around chicago but they dont have the best ordering system. Called them for something else and it sounds like a little old man taking the information on a scratch pad, kind of scary to when he took the credit card number.

Mith,

Your backhoe project looks to be moving along good, should work nice when its done. We have a bucket and some cylinders plus I found a big 6 spool valve from a tree spade or something but Im not sure how its going to work out. Where did you find your valve? I got the PF plans just to get an idea how they built it but Im sure we will build it our way with the plans just as a starting place.

xPosTech

Here is a picture of mine, without bucket.

I built it from looking at pictures on the PF site, and from looking at mini-excavators. If you havent already, rent a mini-exc for a weekend, not only are they quite good fun, but you'll get a good idea of the workings.

11-12-07_1744.jpg

Hey Mith

I looked quite a while at your seat. It swivels around to drive and back to dig, right? Do you sit in it to swivel around or get down, swivel the seat and get back on? If you get down and back up, what if instead of swiveling, it rocked 90

combatmp29r

Nick,

We had a Case back hoe on the farm (now replaced by a JD with an enclosed cab) that had a 4 spool valve in the normal place, and then a 2 spool valve mounted on the side console to run the out riggers. I know there isn't that much space on a Horse, but it s just a thought to put a 4 spool and a 2 spool side by side.

Joel

Mith

I thought I had written a reply here, but apparently not....

Nick, I bought all my hydraulics new, it takes out a whole load of the unknowns, and I can order the exact parts I need. The rams are built to order.

Something you might think about, is you can use 2 3 spool valves, with a flow divider, you get smoother cylinder movements when using more than 1 function that way.

xPos, the seat rotates, yes you have to get off to swivel it, it takes about 20 seconds to do.

As to rocking it, the seat is shaped to make it more comfortable, so if you were to rock it, when going one way you would be sitting on what would be the back rest, which wouldn't be very comfortable.

I flip the seat forwards to rotate it, only need about 1" clearance on either side of the seat.

Nick

Thanks for the information Mith. I am temted to buy a new valve, like you said then Il know what I have. I do have a couple old used valves, 6 spool and a 5 spool, but I have no idea how they work. I'm impressed with your project cad drawings. :D Before I build I might do a rough drawing on scratch paper. At most I'll draw something up like this with the free windows paint program. :P

backhoe.jpg

Rollerman

Looks great Nick, really gives you a visual on how it may look.

I'm anxious to start playing with this welder now....maybe try a fab project too.

probably not a backhoe though :D

Nick

Stephen Hard to say how soon we will build a backhoe, too many ideas and most take to much cash. lol Maybe you should start a topic on a first project for the new welder. How about a dump cart/wagon or a small lawn trailer? COuld build a tooth bar for the scoop. Lot of things to try.

Rollerman

Yeah I know about cash.... :D

Been brain storming all kinds of ideas for a welding project.

The father in law has a lot of scrap steal...I planed on getting some today....but then came this 12" of snow <_<

There is an FEL on a Sears tractor down the road...price is high considering the trator is junk...but been thinking about that one too...now that I have the means to build a sub frame.