Sign in to follow this  
AMC RULES

OK to Chem Dip?

AMC RULES

Just picked up another K-91 that's been sitting for an extended period of time...

wondering if it's OK to chem dip it's carb overnight in Berryman's? 

Is there any plastic inside these Carter Model N's I need to worry about?   :thanks: 

• Like 1

bean

maybe the float, I cant remember. :eusa-think:

buckrancher

Just picked up another K-91 that's been sitting for an extended period of time...

Is there any plastic inside these Carter Model N's I need to worry about?   :thanks: 

don't worry about hurting any carb parts with that neutered crap :angry-cussing:

• Like 2

wallfish

It's a good idea to completely disasemble the carb first and put all the parts in the basket to soak. That way the chemicals can get into all the tiny passages. I spray them out after soaking it with can of carb cleaner too.

• Like 2

AMC RULES

Is there a b

don't worry about hurting any carb parts with that neutered crap :angry-cussing:

:scared-eek:  Neutered crap...are you suggesting there's a better product to use Brian? 

Kelly

I love my Berrymans dip, but mine is about 20 years old, still stinky and works great, I tear them apart and if I have time let them soak for days. 

• Like 1

buckrancher

I've soaked carb parts in that junk for a month and they didn't look any differant then when they were put in it

Edited by buckrancher

leeave96

I cleaned a carb with the Berrymans dip and it came out looking like new.  I was amazed, however, I was advised not to let the parts set in the stuff for more than a couple of hours.  Wish I had bought it years ago.  Got mine at wallyworld for about 20 bucks.  1 gallon can.

Edited by leeave96
  • Like 2

AMC RULES

I was just reading T-Mo's how to rebuild a carb PDF in the manuals section...

he said the chem dip is actually eating the carb metal while it's in there...

not to leave it in too long.   :confusion-shrug:  

massey

I had a set of carbs from my Cuda for a 440-6 which were that gold iridite finish, I put the center carb in overnight and the next morning the gold finish was removed.  These were Holley carbs and I wasn't at all happy at the result (although I am certain it was clean).  Autozone (whom I purchased the Berrymans from) was zero help. It took several e-mails and phone calls to Berrymans and sending the carb to them and they bought me a new carb.  I still don't like the fact that this carb is "newer" looking, but they did replace it for me . 

All that being said, I still use their product.  Just not on the gold iridite finished carbs.

Ed

buckrancher

I cleaned a carb with the Berrymans dip and it came out looking like new.  I was amazed, however, I was advised not to let the parts set in the stuff for more than a couple of hours.  Wish I had bought it years ago.  Got mine at wallyworld for about 20 bucks.  1 gallon can.

you should try it on a dirty varnished choked one

SousaKerry

I used to use this stuff when I was a kid called Mac's Carb cleaner sold by NAPA,  It smelled like cancer and I have no Idea if it is still available but man did it work good.  Only needed like 20 minutes. 

• Like 1

specialwheelhorse

I used to use this stuff when I was a kid called Mac's Carb cleaner sold by NAPA,  It smelled like cancer and I have no Idea if it is still available but man did it work good.  Only needed like 20 minutes.

Then our wonderful EPA got involved !!!!!!!!!!!

buckrancher

20 years ago there was a product called tyme it's still made by crc but it's changed like all the crap they sell nowdays it used to remove all the paint on a carb too after a couple of hours soaking

brian

AMC RULES

As it went into it's bath tonight. 

post-3498-0-51027000-1377292008_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-34986600-1377292045_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-25359100-1377292069_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-17678900-1377292107_thumb.jp

squonk

While in the bath, be careful feeling around for the rubber ducky! :) Brian is right. The stuff today is glorified toilet bowl cleaner. I got a can last fall. I can get it on me and my wife won't notice it. The old Berrymans, Mac's (Napa) stuff if I even looked at a can she knew. We used to have Safety Clean carb cleaner in the shop. A 15 gal drum with an agitator (Not ME! :) ) on top. You could clean the hair off a Wombat with the stuff. Once I had one of those Computer Command Quadrajets in it and one of the tiny mixture needles got out of the basket and fell to the bottom. I had to go fishin. My arm looked like a lobster for a week! :jaw:

• Like 1

rmaynard

After using it for 3 carburetors, I have to give Berryman's a rating of post-2221-0-03056900-1377341473.png. The Tecumseh carb that I did a week ago did not do well. Thanks to the EPA, we can no longer get carbon tetrachloride. Now that was a cleaner that worked. 

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 1

AMC RULES

Typically, how long did you leave 'em in there Bob?     :scratchead:

rmaynard

Over night. Any longer and the cast aluminum turns almost black.

AMC RULES

:scared-eek: BRB!!!

MalMac

Just wondering here but I use to use Red Devil Lye to clean old Railroad Lamps. Mix up the lye and hot water in a bucket and submerse. It was some nasty stuff. It works like a charm. I Don't know about putting aluminum carbs in there. Just might not have nothing left. But I will tell you that lye will eat anything.

(Just a thought and not responsible for any chemical catastrophes)

• Like 2

buckrancher

Over night. Any longer and the cast aluminum turns almost black.

some coolents we have used at the shop will do the same thing to alum. castings

AMC RULES

:eusa-clap:  Well...it ain't black...at least not yet.   :text-woo:

14 hours later...paint flakes off easily, seems most of the rust in the bores is gone.

Going back in for a couple hours before I hit it with carb cleaner and wire brush.   :confusion-shrug:   

post-3498-0-69491700-1377349024_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-78684700-1377349053_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-80356600-1377349086_thumb.jp

squonk

IT TURNED YOUR HAND BLACK!!! Opps sorry! NICE GLOVES! :)

I just did my Power King carb about a month ago. soaked it over night and the paint was mushy like in your pic. The old stuff would have stripped the paint right off in 2 hrs.

AMC RULES

Turned out not too shabby considering it was my first one, and I was using that neutered crap.    :)

Any ideas of how I could test the float before I seal it back up?     :thanks: 

post-3498-0-65353700-1377393541_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-59409700-1377393611_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-62710700-1377393650_thumb.jp

• Like 2