Sign in to follow this  
prondzy

Tecky h60 rebuild question

prondzy

So I fired my 62 lawn ranger for the first time ever this week since I bought it :). One problem she smokes like a chimney :banghead: ! So I intend to rebuild the motor which is a H60 with the aluminum block. I was wondering why is it that every kit you can buy fleabay or others tell you it wont work for H60 only HH60. and yes I understand the differences in the block but if it was made aluminum already for one lifetime why cant a guy bore it .010 over and install a new piston from these kits? Or at the very least can someone tell me of a place to buy a .010 piston I can use in my H60 motor :eusa-think:

Fordiesel69

The reason it is smoking is the oil ring is a one piece, and is completely worn flat.  You will not need to bore it and go oversized unless it is damaged or way out of spec.  These engines are obsolete.  The HH60 kit has different rings designed for a cast iron bore.  You H60 rings are designed for an aluminum bore. 

I like all small engines, but tecumseh were just throw away engines, and did not hold a candle to kohler or briggs back then.  Good power ratio for their size and weight, I will give them that.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/fits-Tecumseh-H60-V60-engine-rebuild-kit-/121148449531?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c3502a2fb

i believe a H60 has a  cast iron cylinder liner

• Like 1

Fordiesel69

The H60 has aluminum block and aluminum cylinder.  HH60 DOES have cast iron cylinder.

Callen

HH60 is a cast iron block. Some H60 had a steel sleeve and some don't, but they can be installed. The piston for an aluminum bore is hard chrome plated. Steel bore pistons aren't. A non plated piston will run in an aluminum bore for about 5 minutes and seize tight. A plated piston will run just fine in a steel liner and probably last longer.The Ebay dealers don't want the hassles if someone tries to run the non chromed piston in an aluminum bore. So if your block has a steel sleeve you will be fine with the kit as long as the rod has a dipper.

Edited by Callen

all three of my H60s have steel sleeve in the aluminum block

• Like 1

SousaKerry

I'd say buy the HH60 kit and get H60 rings.  I just did a rebuild where i used all the guts from a H60 and put them into a hh60 block,  everything fit perfectly fine I actually took some parts from an H40.  The engine runs great but it smokes bad I think I may have cracked a ring going back together so I will have to tear it down again.  

specialwheelhorse

Have at least 5 or 6 h-60s early pump and later dip and all have liners thank goodness.

The old goof in Texas Jim Rodgers

Callen

.This is aluminum bore H60 but the pic is too small to see it. Don't know how to make it bigger

post-5271-0-18136200-1377301253.jpg

Edited by Callen