Sign in to follow this  
mikering

raider 10 wont move

mikering

I have a 1970 raider 10. I just bought this and put a new belt and replaced the tranny fluid. when I put it in gear nothing happens. I jacked it up and started it up and the wheels turn very slowly, with no power at all. can somebody help please. One more thing the drive pulley can slide out with the guard off, is this normal?

prondzy

Did you shear the keyway on the transmission input shaft?

stevasaurus

The input shaft is keyed, and the pulley is held on with an Allen head set screw. :)   Is this a hrdro or a manual transmission??

mikering

It is a manual transmission. And do I need to take the tranny apart to see if I sheared the key? Thanks to your fast responces.

Edited by mikering

mikering

Did you shear the keyway on the transmission input shaft?

Do I have to take the tranny apart to tell this?

The input shaft is keyed, and the pulley is held on with an Allen head set screw. :)   Is this a hrdro or a manual transmission??

So does the input shaft have anything to do with the clutch pulley? Because it is not turning or I should say it is very sluggish when it does turn.

Hodge71

I may be completely wrong but I believe your belt and pulley should be turning at all times with the engine running. The only time the transmission transmits power is when you put it into a gear and let the clutch out.

prondzy

Okay so when you look at the belt with the guard removed there are three pulleys on a manual transmission 1. The pulley on the engine 2. The pulley on the transmission and 3 the pulley for the clutch. If im understanding you correctly the pulley on the transmission can be pulled off or the clutch pulley?

prondzy

Could you post a pic of the problem?

mikering

Okay so when you look at the belt with the guard removed there are three pulleys on a manual transmission 1. The pulley on the engine 2. The pulley on the transmission and 3 the pulley for the clutch. If im understanding you correctly the pulley on the transmission can be pulled off or the clutch pulley?

The transmission pulley. I can pull the shaft and pulley right out. I havent taken it all the way out but I could. It slides with no restriction.

Could you post a pic of the problem?

yes I will when I get home around 4.

stevasaurus

You need to see if the key in the input pulley is still there...you need the key and the set screw to tighten the pulley to the shaft.  This sounds like what is wrong.  Hodge is really not correct in his thinking.  Let me see if I can explain this...when you depress the clutch pedal, the belt guard puts slack in the belt...the belt actually stops turning on the engine pulley and becomes stationary.  The belt guard, with its metal angles, forces the slack towards the engine pulley, thus the belt stops rotating...that means that the transmission input pulley has stopped rotating also...which makes it possible for you to change gears without grinding.  You do not need to tear apart the trans...the key is part of the input pulley.  It is probably a 5/8" by maybe a 1/2" or 3/8" woodruff key and you can get them at Ace Hardware or Tractor Supply or Toro...let us know if that is the problem and we can give you the actual dimensions of the key. 

You say that you can pull the input shaft out with the pulley in post #9...I would doubt that...if that is the case, then we are tearing it down.  That shaft would have to break for you to be able to do that...I don't think so.  It is part of the input gear on the other end of that shaft...never seen or even heard of that happening. Do the homework and let us know...here to help. :)

• Like 1

prondzy

I am going to have to agree with Steve on this one I don't think you are actually pulling the shaft out of the transmission. The key on the shaft probably broke at some point causing the problem you are describing and you are just sliding the pulley on/ off and spinning around the shaft. If this is the problem then all you need to do is take off the belt (at least off of the transmission pulley), find the setscrew on the pulley (located in the groove where the belt runs) and back it out, and depending how oily or rusty the shaft is you might need a pulley puller to remove the pulley (do not strike with a hammer the pulley will break and then you have a new problem :eusa-think:  :) ) go to the local hardware store and buy a multi pack of new woodruff keys (never hurts to have a few around for cases like this) install new key, put on pulley, tighten set screw and re-install belt and you should be good as new :woohoo: ,  oh and where are my manners :WRS:

• Like 1

KC9KAS

:WRS: , and I agree...Probably the Allen set screw and key problem....Hopefully!

Edited by KC9KAS
  • Like 1

prondzy

Just curious have you figured out the problem and or solution? :)

armyvetwh

i was busy getting my ready for painting, i just took the drive belt off, and the drive pulley just slid right off the shaft. i been driving it around before with no problem. checked the pulley and the hex-drive bolt is missing. good to know info here.

prondzy

Good to hear. Usually an easy fix like this is the culprit.