Sign in to follow this  
Sparky

Great bike ride....lots-o-pics!

Sparky

I'm working in San Diego for a couple weeks and the weekend work got screwed up by trucking delays....so I went for a bike ride!

I'm here with a couple other guys with motorcycle licenses and there's a local guy here we are working with that has a bike so the three of us rented bikes. One guy rented a Fat Boy, the other a full dressed Harley and I went totally different and opted for a Triumph Bonneville. I love the old school looks of the triumph!

The local guy took us way east of San Diego and we got into the mountains where all the roads just twist and turn, it was a bikers dream just laying the bikes over in the curves. We took one particularly curvy road that brought us to the highest point in SD, Polamer Mountain. Not exactly a massive mountain but the road to get to the top was a blast. The Bonneville was great with no clearance issues but the two Harley guys were scraping the pavement plenty. There were lots of guys on sport bikes really tearing it up of course. The mountain roads have plenty of spots to stop and take in the awesome views, perfect for photos.

post-2-0-89215900-1377053735_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-02899500-1377053785_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-58482900-1377053932_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-24784200-1377053988_thumb.jpg

We checked out an observatory on Polamer Mountain but for the life of me I cant remember the name (to lazy to "BING" it)

post-2-0-06256700-1377054165_thumb.jpg

Had to stop for lunch in Julian, who doesn't like pie!

post-2-0-99034100-1377054267_thumb.jpg

After doing miles and miles of curvy mountain roads we headed for the Anza Borrego Desert. I have never been in a desert and didn't know what to expect. As we left the mountains and headed down into the desert you could feel the temps climbing. No matter how fast you rode the air in your face was just like the hot air blast you get when you open an oven. We stopped for a water break and the local guys BMW bike had a temp gage....it was 113 degrees!! The desert sand is real soft and one Harley dug in and had to be pushed out....very heavy bike!

post-2-0-02250900-1377054461_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-75417700-1377054362_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-68138500-1377054564_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-26067100-1377054643_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-78683600-1377054711_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-81401500-1377054797_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-90942300-1377054850_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-26478600-1377054895_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-74531800-1377054930_thumb.jpg

We came across some huge rusty welded sculptures which made great picture taking spots. There was a small town but no one was outside. I can only assume they come out at night? It was a bit creepy to see a town with no people.

In the end we did 260 awesome miles!

Mike............

• Like 5

dennist

Nice pics. Those sculptures would have been really awesome to come across!

KC9KAS

Looks like you had a very nice ride. Thanks for the photos.

Ken B

Looks like a good time Sparky. One of my brothers has a new Heritage Harley and a new Triumph Bonneville. The same exact one you rented as a matter of fact. Nice Bikes! I'd love to buy a new Indian myself.

stevebo

Sounds like a great time Mike ! I have to ask.... Triumph over a Harley?? :ychain:

nylyon

I love that area of California, and it looks like you had a fantastic time.  Sometime trucking delays are really beneficial!

JimD

Glad you got to enjoy some California sunshine. Now if you don't end up looking like one of those raisin dudes you'll be fine. Haha. Love the choice of bike too! :)

Edited by JimD

Sparky

Sounds like a great time Mike ! I have to ask.... Triumph over a Harley?? :ychain:

I travel all over for work and have rented Harleys at a few of my work sites and I just thought "Why not try something different?". I had the smallest bike both frame wise and motor wise but it had plenty of sack for the type of riding we did. Kept off the boring highways as much as possible.

I actually liked the more upright riding position the Bonneville had and its got me thinking that I might want to trade my Vulcan for something else.

Mike............

Zeek

Grea pics, thanks for posting!!

I would love to ride out there some  .  .. .

Buzz

When my Dad was in a nursing home in Las Vegas, my son and I flew out to visit him in July and one day we rented Harleys. We went out Red Rock Canyon then over the hump (MT. Potosi) to Pahrump NV. That's where Dad lived so we visited a couple of his friends. One of them was an olde time biker and he gave us a couple of bandanas to wear like Jesse James. It stopped the blast furnace effect on your face. Got some strange looks when we pulled into a gas station to top the tanks off. We put a little over 200 miles on and still hds time to visit him that afternoon. Oh yeah, Pahrump is only 60 miles from Death Valley so you know it was HOT.