Sign in to follow this  
dennist

This is why you shouldn't just go look....

dennist

Local CL ad C-160 $200 trans not functioning correct, engine runs fine etc. Around here that is enough info to go look anyway. I get there and it was pretty rough, told the guy no thanks and he says $150...no thanks, he says $100...obviously I had to drop the gate to the trailer....Newer 42" RD deck, rear lift and cable, dry cracked tires and plenty of oil and grease everywhere!

post-3300-0-10327500-1377033663_thumb.jp

post-3300-0-52033100-1377033725_thumb.jp

post-3300-0-16305200-1377033790_thumb.jp

post-3300-0-01330000-1377034135_thumb.jp

• Like 4

Jake Kuhn

Wow! Nice find! If only I could stumple across one of those! lol

AMC RULES

Now that's the way you do it...  :bow-blue:  

get them to pay you to take it away. 

Nice score on that thumper.    :handgestures-thumbsup:

KC9KAS

Nice find.

squonk

That tractor looks a hell of a lot better than the ones around here that people want $500 and up for! :thumbs:

Wishin4a416

Very nice Tractor! Things must be different around your way. The deck would have brought 200 around here. 400 for what you got.

I saw a horse for sale along the road on the way home today and stopped. A 200 series and the price was 250.

Good Luck.

limited12

Nice

Road-Track

The way it should be. Two guys happy! and Wheel Horse saved from the scrap heap. :banana-skier:

Trouty56

Jeez...look at just the seat!!!.....nice!!!

dennist

I know I got a good deal and no these deals do not come up that often around here either. I was not going to leave it even at $200, as like stated above the deck is worth $200-$250 around here also. The guy had already "spilled the beans" on the phone saying he was moving and needed it gone, so why not try to steal it, worst he could say was, "see ya!"

It will be a while before I see what is really wrong with it, as I have an Onan 20 hp apart right now and a 416 with an Onan that is having its own issues. Just waiting for some free time to figure that 16hp out. Replaced all electrical components and fuel components all the reg. stuff, but still after running for a period it will run like crap, then it will not start, till cools off, then runs terrific for a period of time. It repeats over and over like this. Would a Valve seat possibly act like this? I know from what I have read it sounds electrical, but when I have done the test SOI explains well, my readings come out as they should?

horsesaver98

That should be your coil that is doing that or the valves and nice find I am looking for one of those but they are always over 500$ here

Edited by horsesaver98

Wishin4a416

My guess would be coil or sticky exhaust valve.

dennist

That should be your coil that is doing that or the valves and nice find I am looking for one of those but they are always over 500$ here

My guess would be coil or sticky exhaust valve.

My question would be if you have a coil that acts up when it gets hot, Will it test fine when it is cold? I have replaced with another coil and had the same exact issue, but will check with another from a verified running tractor?

ericj

check ignition module cold and hot ignition module usually goes when hot and works cold onan service manual will tell you how to check it out good luck

eric j 

leeave96

Nice looking tractor.  Sheet metal looks very straight too.  My guess whatever ails this tractor will be a simple fix and you got a great tractor.

Good luck,

Bill

dennist

check ignition module cold and hot ignition module usually goes when hot and works cold onan service manual will tell you how to check it out good luck

eric j

This would be my problem, when I tested these they were cold and they tested as the manual stated. I personally have no idea how to test the ignition module hot? I did replace with another, but also understand you can get 2 bad ones. Just wondering if there was a way to tell for sure....short of replacing from a proven running Onan engine?

Wheel-N-It

Good score on the Horse!

MaineDad

Man I knew you would get that being so close to you! The wiring is pretty simple on that, so give me a call if you need some help. May help to just pull the head and see what you are dealing with too. You lucky SOB :)

Tankman

I bet we all would've jumped on that deal. Don't see many in any condition. The looks of your "steal" appears some rather standard fixes. Good luck.

PS. WHA (Wheel Horse Addiction) get you too?  :)

oneroadkingman

yeah I did that once to a guy same way you did it go about an hour out there to look at the tractor and it really wasn't always he said it was for the money and pretty much played the same game you did fix it up still use it today.

shorts

try heating the ignition module up with a blow dryer while you have the test meter hooked up, also check the other electrical components the same way.  some of the early electronic ignition stuff was sometimes heat related tempermental and would drive you to drink trying to figure it out, finally learned that a good hair drier for heat and an aerosol can of insta cold or electric kleen could help with trouble shooting. 

BretzFamily

You said it had transmission problems. if its as heavy as.my horse. must of paid for it pushing it up on your trailer alone.

Also in third picture in background in the weeds. A horse or a.newer.cookie cutter.mower looks larger

Edited by BretzFamily

Lane Ranger

I think you did real well on your C-160 find.   My brother David and I are putting a  C160 together from TWO I purchased to make one!

I paid  $85 for one tractor without transmission and without rear tires.  Bought it off of Ebay in Rising Sun, Indiana 20 miles west of Cincinatti, Ohio.

Serial No   147441

It had a good 16 HP Kohler that has no smoke  though and my brother had it running after a couple hours and a new head gasket.  He says it is a 7 out 10 !  

The other C 160 tractor I bought on Wednesday for $150 in Shelburn, In  from another Red Square member.   It had no motor but is good overall.   Serial No   147221

A total of $ 235 plus gas (which of course no Wheel Horse addict, fan or buyer ever counts) for a C 160  with lots of spare parts!

So $100 for a C 160 is going to be hard to beat price wise!