Rboski

I bought this 1960 400 from Taycotrains a couple years back now. I was missing a couple of the usual suspects, belt guard, throttle controls...  I tracked down what I needed here and there and with the help of a couple RS members.  Last fall I finally got around to disassembling the tractor and started to freshen things up.  Currently I don't have access to a sand blaster so I used a combination of e-tank, chemical stripper sanding and wire brushes to get the parts down to clean metal for new paint.  I've replaced some hardware as needed or just for personal preference. At the show this year I picked up a pair of '61 cast foot rests and cast brake pedal. 

There where two pieces that needed some repairs. First the hood had torn in two places where the rear tank strap was spot welded and second the hood stand was cut up at some point to accommodate a different engine. Learning as I went, I managed to weld the cracks from the tank straps without burning through the hood and when I was done (after I wiped the sweat from my face and unclenched my teeth) decided I didn't want to do any more welding on that thin original metal. One morning while having  a coffee and perusing the forums I stumbled on Duke's RJ Hood stand modifications and decided I would do something similar.  First, since I'm still tying to learn to weld, I wasn't going to modify an original part. I needed to build a RJ style hood stand that I could bolt onto the frame, then I could add some hood support and maybe even hang the tank from this structure instead of damaging the hood again.  This is what I have so far...  

Img_3729_zpsa2ecd8be.jpg

Img_3789_zps938cf9b3.jpg

• Like 3

AMC RULES

Hood stand turned out great...   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

can't wait to see that modified tank mount though.    :popcorn: 

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:   you are doing a great job, keep us posted.  :text-goodpost: 

:USA: 

welderman85

Great work

speedyleedy

It looks like your doing i very fine job to me :eusa-think: keep up the good work ! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Rboski

This is what I came up with for the tank mount/hood support. I'll use a setup similar to the original straps to secure the tank.  Each "strap" will  actually be three pieces. One piece over the top and then two pieces underneath from each side with a bolt to snug it up.  At least that's the plan so far.  

tank1_zps64db0172.jpg

• Like 3

AMC RULES

Definitely looks a lot more secure that the original strap setup...

tank still will utilize the factory fill hole in the hood that way?  

Rboski

Same factory fill hole, No modification to the hood. There is a little play in the tank positioning so I'll leave it loose and then put the hood on to fine tune the fit before snugging it up. The new bracket is just a bit below the underside of the hood so I'll be able to put some sort of a buffer on top to cushion things, foam, rubber....  not sure yet. The tank sits just above the mount and touches the underside of the hood.  I may need to put some sort of buffer between them so its not metal on metal since they'll now move independent of each other.  I'll have to see how it comes together once I make the straps.

51Chevy

Where did you get your front tires are thy new?

Rboski

51Chevy, yes they are new.  They are Kenda Loadstar 4.80-8 LRB 4 Ply Bias Trailer Tires.  Found them online at trailertiresandwheels.com for $16 a piece.  Of all the different new tires I've seen in this size, the sidewall ribs on these seemed the most pleasing to me.

http://www.trailertiresandwheels.com/product/4.80X8-load-range-b-4-ply-kenda-loadstar-bias-trailer-tire 

BT4808B.png

Edited by Rboski
  • Like 1

speedyleedy

Do you have the tank frame bolted or welded to the hood stand ? That is a really neat idea :eusa-think:

Rboski

Thanks Tim. I've been commingling ideas from different models and from modifications other RS members have come up with.  Originally I was going to weld the tank frame to the hood stand, but I ended up adding a plate to the stand so I could bolt them together. Plus I'm just winging it here so I wanted some play since the tank frame is also a hood support, now I'll be able to put some rubber on the top edge to buffer the hood from the frame. As it is now I had to shim a bit to get the angle right for the hood to sit correctly, so the bolts where the right way to go for sure.  

My current hood had some damage from the straps being pulled off so I wanted to avoid that problem and a tank frame/hood support seemed like it would solve that issue for me.  But I also wanted to leave them both flexible enough that I could use the hood stand without the tank frame if I switched to another hood, so again bolting them together seemed the way to go.  I think it will be strong enough just being bolted. Its not a lot of weight, its the bouncing I'm worried about with the front end of the frame floating.  I'm still looking at maybe dropping a front leg down inside the hood and attaching at the same bolt that holds the hood to the frame.  That might also open up the possibility for hanging some weight. But it's getting pretty tight up in the nose. I'm still playing with it. I might see how this goes for now and adjust later if needed. I'll keep you all updated.

Edited by Rboski

timo4352

I'm more interested in those rear tires - What are they and where can I get them?

looks like the old town and country snow tire. :eusa-think: 

Edited by timo4352

Rboski

They are BF Goodrich Silvertown All Purpose Garden Tractor.  They were on the 552 I have.  They're just on this machine temporarily while I finish painting the rear wheels. 

Here's a couple of better pics of the tires from an old post by Zeek.  

AMC RULES

Are those the Kenda's mounted up in the picts you've posted here?    :icecream: 

Rboski

Yup, those are the Kenda's mounted up front in the pics above. I'll get a pic later of them with the hood on.  I think for new tires they look pretty good.  I'm going to get a set of Bridgestone Farm Service Diamond Tread Turfs for the rear (take a look at the cover of your final edition).  I've also have a set of AG's that I got with the machine that I'm going to mount on an extra set of wheels I just cleaned up and painted.  So I should have the right shoes for any occasion.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

You can't beat the price of 'em, that's for sure.   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

Would like to see a ground shot, full screen pict of one if you could?

You know...when you get a chance...no rush.   :thanks: 

Rboski

Can do!

Rboski

So here's a couple of better pictures of the front tires on the machine. And the requested full screen shots.  I put the motor on today, threw in a temporary plastic fuel tank, set the hood on for giggles and gave it a couple laps around the yard.  Still have  a few things fine tune and a handful of pieces to paint but I'm getting close.

1960-550_zps1aaffd7f.jpg

loadstar1_zps5fb02fa8.jpg

loadstar2_zps712fd7e9.jpg

AMC RULES

WOW! Thanks Rich...those things really do look sharp.

Look perfect on our little   :wh: round hoods.    

Hood looks AWESOME!     :handgestures-thumbsup: 

Rboski

Thanks Craig. I'm very pleased with how they look. Almost as good as a pair of clean originals.  I was pretty lucky with the hood.  It was straight and only had some small dents and a couple of small cracks and tears.  Was able to pound out some of the small stuff, welded up some of the cracks and tears.  There's some filler here and there to smooth out the top and the nose. Made a few mistakes painting it, followed by some wet sanding and a respray but I managed to make them disappear.  All in all I'm very happy with how it's coming out. Learning a lot for the next one.  This is what I started with. 

gallery_3621_325_143820.jpg

Edited by Rboski
  • Like 1

51Chevy

Forgot that I asked you about the tired there what I needed coming in the mail thanks alot

Rboski

51Chevy,  I hope you are as happy with them as I am. Please share a pic with us when you get them mounted.

51Chevy

I'll be posting lots of pictures because I'll be restoring my 64 857 that's been in the family since new

Rboski

That's great!  I got my start on my Gramp's 69 Raider, he's still got it and it's been running strong since the day he brought it home. I'll be looking forward to following your project.