Sign in to follow this  
chris hall

safety switches

chris hall

I am thinking about reconnecting my safety switches.i will have to fix some of the wiring and make sure the switches work.has anyone gone thru this and could give me some pointers?

Don1977

What model Wheel Horse are you working on. The older ones like my 77 C-120 are simple. It just had the PTO switch and the Clutch Peddle switch that had to be closed to start the tractor. Both are on start wire from the key switch to the start post on the solenoid. It came from the factory that way because I bought it new. The later models are a different ball game you'll need a wiring diagram to see how they are wired.

546cowboy

Actually the PTO switch ground wire enables the tractor to start. There are four wires on that switch on my 1974 C-160 two black wires and two red wires. If you jump the two red wires the tractor still will not start but if you jump the two black wires it will start.

chris hall

sorry i should have said what i am working on. it's a 1974 b80 . i saw the two switches and it looks like they have two red wires coming from them. someone along the way has cut the wires .

Don1977

Here is what it should look like. From the PTO switch to the Clutch switch it measures 34" this is the long wire. From the PTO switch  it plugs in to the wire to start on the key switch. from the Clutch switch the wire goes to start post on the solenoid switch. The Tractors sold in North Carolina in 1977 did not have a seat switch.

SAM_0275.jpg

• Like 1

chris hall

thanks all. this will help me greatly !!!!!!

chris hall

ok one switch is good and one is bad.my toro dealer in hickory wants $40.00 for one. i think i can find one at napa cheaper.i guess someone just took the switches out of the system because there was a wire straight from the ignition switch to the solenoid.

gwest_ca

The pto switches do not work the same. One is normally closed and one is normally open. Normally means when not activated. Some switches have 3 terminals so you have to use the correct 2 terminals to get what is required.

Garry

chris hall

The pto switches do not work the same. One is normally closed and one is normally open. Normally means when not activated. Some switches have 3 terminals so you have to use the correct 2 terminals to get what is required.

Garry

i hear what you are saying. i have a source for many different switches so i can get the correct switch.