Brian K WheelHorse

520H Debris Deflector Shield

boovuc

In regard to the snorkel setup, we, (my employer), had a very large and thick piece of black flexable ducting and I thought about how that could be "attached" to the flywheel screen of the 416 or 520 I have then routed either up behind me or just off to the side in the front to keep the large leaf debris from blocking air.

After some thought and imagining how it would look, I pretty much gave up on it. It would be ugly and could cut down on the air flow worse than the large leaf collection on the screen does.

Digger 66

Has anyone come up with a way to measure the CFM @ stock levels to use as a benchmark ?

varosd

I think Y'all are getting a little carried away with this grass thing. If you really want to do something about it I think everybody is going about it the wrong way. Come on guys that is ugly!

What you need to do is get some rubber roofing and cut a strip however wide seems to work and attach it to the deck on the front. For that matter you could use some of that fabric you use to keep weeds out of you plants. Geez this subject has been beat to death on here. :deadhorse::teasing-whipyellow::banghead::angry-soapbox:

Like Lynn was saying, has any done something to our hanging decks?

like this..Direct mount strip brushes on flexible PVC

http://www.mcmaster.com/#conveyor-brushes/=o4cuke

cut to length and attach to front of deck with velcro?  remove or adjust placement based on grass length, leaves etc.  not sure if bristles are stiff enough not to get swept under the deck and into the blades.   

has anyone tried this? 

wish the price was cheaper like a bottom seal for a garage door as another option. ^_^

Digger 66

I'd be willing to bet a brush style door sweep fastend to the perimeter of the bottom edge of the deck would cut down on escaping clippings and be quite durable.

This will be a nice winter project.

Brian K WheelHorse

I think anything that keeps the grass clippings from blowing out the front would be great. Love the McMaster-Carr catalog. Well - I have mowed nearly 3 hours since I installed the shield - no clog up. A little build up at the top rear but nothing substantial. I am excited to see other possible solutions.

varosd

Brian,

Perhaps an action video of it going through the grass/leaves?

Brian K WheelHorse

I will try this weekend - if it's not raining...

Dave H.

For those of you on a budget and need a quick fix for mulching, this flower pot + 4 self tapping screws with a bit of chicken wire does the trick. The pot is 13 inches in diameter and fits like a glove. Just some old stuff laying around in the barn.

I know, it's pretty simple. But after two days of mulching, it's worked like a charm. No problems yet and the cooling is fine.

Have a great weekend everyone!

post-13829-0-22971000-1413059269_thumb.j

post-13829-0-68354500-1413059302_thumb.j

post-13829-0-55697400-1413059331_thumb.j

post-13829-0-21672900-1413059375_thumb.j

post-13829-0-11574900-1413059418_thumb.j

post-13829-0-82790000-1413059450_thumb.j

post-13829-0-03413400-1413059477_thumb.j

boovuc

I like that Dave but knowing how large the air intake is, (about 10 inches in diameter), on the flywheel screen on the Onan verses the cone you have on your 520, I question if you really do have adequate air. Granted that in the Fall, the air temperatures are lower than in the Summer but I would still be concerned about not driving enough air through that motor and in particular, the rear cylinder. 

I'm working on a 10 inch blank flange mounted to a 12 inch elbow of simple galvanized heat duct. It's lightweight and with a little trimming and a few rolls to curve out the flange, I hope to have it mounted to my 416 this week. The 10 inch blank flange has a large lip that should catch the 5 mounting holes in the Onan's tin. The 12 inch elbow would be epoxied to the OEM Onan fly wheel screen. (I have a spare). The elbow would be positioned straight up. We shall see. If not, I wasted about 35 dollars at McMaster-Carr. Should have the parts this week.

Dave H.

I like that Dave but knowing how large the air intake is, (about 10 inches in diameter), on the flywheel screen on the Onan verses the cone you have on your 520, I question if you really do have adequate air. Granted that in the Fall, the air temperatures are lower than in the Summer but I would still be concerned about not driving enough air through that motor and in particular, the rear cylinder. 

I'm working on a 10 inch blank flange mounted to a 12 inch elbow of simple galvanized heat duct. It's lightweight and with a little trimming and a few rolls to curve out the flange, I hope to have it mounted to my 416 this week. The 10 inch blank flange has a large lip that should catch the 5 mounting holes in the Onan's tin. The 12 inch elbow would be epoxied to the OEM Onan fly wheel screen. (I have a spare). The elbow would be positioned straight up. We shall see. If not, I wasted about 35 dollars at McMaster-Carr. Should have the parts this week.

Good Day boovuc,

You bring up a good point, later today I'll cut a hole in the end of it to increase the air intake area.

I hope you'll post a pic of the system your working on. I'd like to build something a bit more stable then this temp fix I have now.

Thanks for the advice and have a great weekend.

boovuc

If it works, I'll post some pics. If it doesn't, I've already proclaimed wasting over 40 bucks with shipping for the pieces plus I would have cut my spare engine's flywheel screen? I'll just crawl under a rock for awhile!   :roll:

shallowwatersailor

I don't use my two 520-H for mowing but I can see the need for correcting the problem . An advantage of having other manufacturer's tractors is to be able to see how they handled similar issues. Attached are two pictures of my 1980 Gravely 5665 with a Kohler K301 shortly after I bought it. Gravely made two changes that might be of interest.

This model was intended for commercial use and so has a remote filter. It is away from the working parts of the tractor so the dust issue is lessened. It even has a "reservoir" to be emptied as needed for larger particles . The second addition on electric start Kohlers was a scraper to address grass/debris buildup on the flywheel screen. It has two edges that are angled towards the screen to knock buildup off. I can be seen just in front of the hitch. It has about 3/8" clearance.

post-3066-0-39048900-1413115695_thumb.jppost-3066-0-11235100-1413115557_thumb.jp

Edited by shallowwatersailor
  • Like 1

Dave H.

If it works, I'll post some pics. If it doesn't, I've already proclaimed wasting over 40 bucks with shipping for the pieces plus I would have cut my spare engine's flywheel screen? I'll just crawl under a rock for awhile!   :roll:

Sounds like you know what you're talking about. That suggestion you made about the air intake diameter may have saved my engine. (And a royal a** chewing from my better half when I tell her I blew the engine up :) )

After looking at the pictures I posted, it makes me think of that old saying; "You might be a Red Neck if................?" But any old port in a storm. Right?

I hope you'll keep working on the idea you have and share the pics. This debris ~Mulching~ problem is a REAL PAIN! After 4 hours of mulching and every 5 minutes cleaning that damn intake, I would have used an old shoe box if I thought it would work.

Again, thanks for the advice.

Dave H.

I don't use my two 520-H for mowing but I can see the need for correcting the problem . An advantage of having other manufacturer's tractors is to be able to see how they handled similar issues. Attached are two pictures of my 1980 Gravely 5665 with a Kohler K301 shortly after I bought it. Gravely made two changes that might be of interest.

This model was intended for commercial use and so has a remote filter. It is away from the working parts of the tractor so the dust issue is lessened. It even has a "reservoir" to be emptied as needed for larger particles . The second addition on electric start Kohlers was a scraper to address grass/debris buildup on the flywheel screen. It has two edges that are angled towards the screen to knock buildup off. I can be seen just in front of the hitch. It has about 3/8" clearance.

attachicon.gifWP_20140811_016.jpgattachicon.gifWP_20140815_003.jpg

John, I see the bar that sits in front of the air intake. Is that what you're refering to? If so, would that work on a side intake system with fine mulched material.

shallowwatersailor

Here are two better shots of the scraper. Notice how the left side has cutouts for the bolts. Gravely ride-on owners have the same problem because the tractor has the engine in the rear. Some of the Kohler-engined riders didn't use the bar but had a bolt-on screen that plugged up. Some ride-ons used Onan engines as well although a different model Onan.

The screen on the Kohler rotates so for the Onan a screen that would be attached to the flywheel would be needed. The plastic guard would be discarded.

post-3066-0-09111900-1413125034_thumb.jppost-3066-0-97123100-1413125061_thumb.jp

Edited by shallowwatersailor

shallowwatersailor

Good Day boovuc,

You bring up a good point, later today I'll cut a hole in the end of it to increase the air intake area.

I hope you'll post a pic of the system your working on. I'd like to build something a bit more stable then this temp fix I have now.

Thanks for the advice and have a great weekend.

Dave,

I wouldn't cut any opening on the vertical end. You would be back where you started. Cut some more of the lower portion below the lip on the side, if anything.

John

Dave H.

I see it now John. I can understand that it would be handy for snow build up. Not so sure about finely minced leaves plugging the intake. Those particles are so small they just stick to every inlet available.

Thanks for taking the time to snap these pictures. Somewhere down the road, someone will take a look at these and have a brainstorm idea.

I hope you have a good weekend.

Best Regards,

Dave

John, I just received your last post, I'll take a look at cutting that hole a bit wider. Thanks.

Edited by Dave H.

shallowwatersailor

I think that the scraper depends on some buildup, and then takes the "sheet" off.