Brian K WheelHorse

520H Debris Deflector Shield

Brian K WheelHorse

After a lot of discussion, I really thought I needed to come up with something to keep the darn grass, leaves and debris off the intake screen of my 520H. Well - it took me 3 tries to get one (the first one was a frame mounted steel version) to fit and I had some time to install it and test it tonight. It looks a bit...weird. I used polycarbonate and some aluminum angle to construct it. Almost all the screws are stainless steel. Some things to keep in mind: I did have to remove the lip from bottom of the intake screen. I shimmed this out from the inside screen with 1/4 - 20 flat washers to clear the heads of the button head screws that rotate on the inside screen. It still rubbed a little bit but not enough to bother me - it "cleared out" a little material off the polycarbonate. If I held my dimensions tighter this would have been a non-issue. The angles help it clear the front wheel (turned all the way) and the foot rest. Seems to work OK but it needs to be used for a few weeks to test the durability of it. Here's some pics:

0812131249_zpsc011634d.jpg

0812131300_zps6ce47562.jpg

0812131300_zps6ce47562.jpg

Prototype 2 - FAIL:

0812131506_zpsfcf9b0a1.jpg

0812131507_zpsf8861fd0.jpg

0812131507_zpsf8861fd0.jpg

Prototype 3:

0813131840_zps9323bea6.jpg

0813131912b_zpsebb367d9.jpg

0813131912a_zpsf58d55ff.jpg

0813131936_zpsa76052cd.jpg

That's all the grass after mowing for more than 30 minutes. I was purposely mowing over old grass piles to kick up a lot of clippings - seems to work well. Notice there isn't any grass on the screen below the shield.

Edited by Brian K WheelHorse
  • Like 3

Hodge71

:bow-blue:  :handgestures-thumbupright:  :greetings-clappingyellow:  :banana-tux:  :thumbs:  :happy-partydance:

Red-Bovine

Excellent!!! I need to design something similar for my 520Honda.

Red

Brian K WheelHorse

It just mounts with the 2 bottom screws for the screen...

leeave96

Here is a couple of pics grass shield used/made by a fellow at the Wheelhorse show this past June.  He fab'd and had installed it on his fine 520H tractor.  I hope it's OK that I post the pics here as the design is simple and according to the gentleman I spoke with - worked great.  I haven't had a chance to fab one of these for my 520H, but would like to and give it a try.

post-6085-0-34824400-1376504068_thumb.jp

post-6085-0-55915500-1376504075_thumb.jp

Note the slickery Toro logo on the Onan grass screen.... ;)   :ychain:

Thanks!

Bill

• Like 1

Red-Bovine

I guess all you need is something to deflect the airflow to the motor so it doesn't suck the grass of the deck. I've been meaning to fabricate something and this thread has inspired me. Thanks, guys!!!

Red :)  :woohoo:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

• Like 1

leeave96

I guess all you need is something to deflect the airflow to the motor so it doesn't suck the grass of the deck. I've been meaning to fabricate something and this thread has inspired me. Thanks, guys!!!

Red :)  :woohoo:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

Sometimes I think the grass that is getting sucked into the flywheel screen is from two sources.  One is the grass being blown out the left front of the deck.  The other is simply grass that sticks to the front wheel and is kicked off as the wheel turns.  Both of these sources of grass tend to float in the air just at the lower part of the flywheel screen and the Onan sucks it right in.

546cowboy

I think Y'all are getting a little carried away with this grass thing. If you really want to do something about it I think everybody is going about it the wrong way. Come on guys that is ugly!

What you need to do is get some rubber roofing and cut a strip however wide seems to work and attach it to the deck on the front. For that matter you could use some of that fabric you use to keep weeds out of you plants. Geez this subject has been beat to death on here. :deadhorse::teasing-whipyellow::banghead::angry-soapbox:

• Like 1

JackC

Here Is another solution I saw in a Craigslist ad.  Not sure how well it works.  Maybe the owner is a member and will chime in

3F13Jf3H65rb5sd5tdd6u08c78ce2327a11f6.jp

Vinylguy

I never had that problem with the rear discharge deck but once I attached the 48 SD, BAMB Grass covered every round.

Red-Bovine

My Honda powered 520H is even worse now. I think the fan is more powerful and really sucks up the grass. I aim to do something.

Red

OhioGregg

I gotta say, there have been quite a few ingenious contraptions that folks have come up with to keep grass off the screen. But, it seems to me that the original grille/screen on there does a fine job of intended purpose. Keep grass out of the engine cooling fins.

I think some of these add on gizmos might be blocking air flow as much if not more than having some grass stuck to the grill. It doesn't take much effort to swipe a hand across the grille once in awhile to knock off grass if it collects. Just my opinion fellas, I could be wrong.

:hide:

Gregg,

• Like 1

Tankman

Thinking of a deflector has been included in everyones' thoughts from time to time.

Currently, I vac after every mow jo, pic leaves off while running if needed. My Stallions are kept clean.

I also use either the blow connection on the shop vac or my backpack blower if I'm outdoors. Includes the deck, engine, under the seat, and inside the wheel rims.

Although worrisome haven't had any heating problems to date. 'Course, I've had the 20hp Onan for less than a year.

The Onan engine really sucks the air in fo' sure! I agree with Ohio Gregg's observations 100%!   :eek:

Stephen Girard never needed a guard! :ychain:

Edited by Tankman

Brian K WheelHorse

I'm a fairly pragmatic person...to a point. I have owned this tractor for only one year and I have looked down and saw the red overtemp light on, four separate times. I am fairly deliberate about checking for grass buildup, but it has happened more than once so for me - it needed to be addressed. This is a design flaw, period. I have literally mowed 1/2 an acre and my screen has been completely packed. I really didn't post this for a debate. I really would have rather not invest the time, but for me - it was necessary. I sold my 314-8 when I got this one so I don't currently have a back-up mower if I wreck this one. I have already installed a sounder alarm as well but I haven't wired it up. I wanted first to prevent the buildup. I de-carboned and installed new gaskets on my engine last year so I don't think this overkill. Let me say this - I have a large back yard and we don't use most of it but I keep it clear. I only mow back there once a week. I typically get some small "hay piles" so I have quite a bit of clippings blowing around when I mow. Because of the rain I haven't touched the back for 10 days now - and it is a little high. Now if you are in the "yard-of-the-month club" and mow every few days - this may not even apply to you.

• Like 2

leeave96

I'm a fairly pragmatic person...to a point. I have owned this tractor for only one year and I have looked down and saw the red overtemp light on, four separate times. I am fairly deliberate about checking for grass buildup, but it has happened more than once so for me - it needed to be addressed. This is a design flaw, period. I have literally mowed 1/2 an acre and my screen has been completely packed. I really didn't post this for a debate. I really would have rather not invest the time, but for me - it was necessary. I sold my 314-8 when I got this one so I don't currently have a back-up mower if I wreck this one. I have already installed a sounder alarm as well but I haven't wired it up. I wanted first to prevent the buildup. I de-carboned and installed new gaskets on my engine last year so I don't think this overkill. Let me say this - I have a large back yard and we don't use most of it but I keep it clear. I only mow back there once a week. I typically get some small "hay piles" so I have quite a bit of clippings blowing around when I mow. Because of the rain I haven't touched the back for 10 days now - and it is a little high. Now if you are in the "yard-of-the-month club" and mow every few days - this may not even apply to you.

This is a great topic.

I was at a yard sale a few weeks ago and saw a 416-8 with an Onan on it parked under a deck.  The flywheel screen was packed with clippings.

I'm lining up Winter projects (since I'm wearing a long sleeve shirt here in mid August in my neck of the woods) and I think I'm going to add belting to the front of the deck to bring the front lip down even with the sides, like my rear discharge decks and my MTD Cub Cadet deck - none of which throw grass out the front of the deck.  I'd also like to make a sheet metal shield mounted to the underside of the flywheel screen like the picture I posted earlier in this thread.

I know sometimes it seems like when we talk about this grass build-up on the Onans, it seems like we are beating a dead horse (no pun intended... ;) ), but I suspect that every day or week a new owner of these tractors comes online, so it's great conversation and good to keep this issue on the front burner for the new comers IMHO.

Thanks!

Bill

• Like 1

Red-Bovine

I think this is a great idea, too!!! As long as you don't impede the airflow into that screen by reducing the number of square inches the motor has to grab the air, it should not harm the motor. I like the idea of the deflector mounted below the motor and you still have good access to the screen should anything still get by. A person gets pretty tired of swiping grass off that screen, especially when you have a lot of grass to cut and you may be swiping every 5 or 10 minutes. Don't forget you have to slow the motor, stop, disengage the pto, swipe the grass off, throttle up, re-engage the pto and start mowing again. My arms aren't long enough to reach the screen and not trip the safety switches. Sure seems to be a better idea than letting the screen get plugged up and the temps bounce around. Not to mention what crap gets by the screen and lodges itself in the motor. Best to try to minimize the clippings and not minimize a persons efforts.

Red

• Like 1

Brian K WheelHorse

This is a great topic.

I was at a yard sale a few weeks ago and saw a 416-8 with an Onan on it parked under a deck.  The flywheel screen was packed with clippings.

I'm lining up Winter projects (since I'm wearing a long sleeve shirt here in mid August in my neck of the woods) and I think I'm going to add belting to the front of the deck to bring the front lip down even with the sides, like my rear discharge decks and my MTD Cub Cadet deck - none of which throw grass out the front of the deck.  I'd also like to make a sheet metal shield mounted to the underside of the flywheel screen like the picture I posted earlier in this thread.

I know sometimes it seems like when we talk about this grass build-up on the Onans, it seems like we are beating a dead horse (no pun intended... ;) ), but I suspect that every day or week a new owner of these tractors comes online, so it's great conversation and good to keep this issue on the front burner for the new comers IMHO.

Thanks!

Bill

I wanted to make it out of 18 or 20 gauge steel, but I don't have access to a brake and shear right now. I think that's a great idea.

DoctorHfuhruhurr

I like it.  It solves an age old problem and will extend the life of the engine (and most likely your back). 

JackC

The big ONANs should be run at 3,000 to 3,500 rpm when mowing and they suck cooling air like gangbusters.  The front edge of the side discharge decks ride high enough that the decks throw some grass out the front and the grass gets sucked up onto the air intake grill and reduces cooling air flow to the engine.  The front of the rear discharge decks ride closer to the ground and do not throw grass out the front like the side discharge decks do.

I would bet that more ONANs have been smoked when mowing on 400 and 500 Series Wheel Horse tractors than any other application

Leaning over to clean the grass off the screen for each pass down the lawn is not an option for me.  I will not mow without a grass guard. 

It is good to see what others are doing to deal with the problem.  

I would like to see some grass guard solutions that can be easily attached to the deck rather than the tractor or at least mounted under the tractor above the deck.

Brian K WheelHorse

I tried a frame mount but the clearance is tricky. And thanks for your original R & D Jack - this is just an extension of your original findings with the cardboard.

boovuc

I pretty much gave up on it!

I use the Kohler power to grind my leaves. (I don't rake a single leaf. I grind them all up and let them mulch into the yard).

When I used the Onans, all I did was lean over and brush debris from the screen. Unless you add what would essentially be a snorkel similar to what swamp mudders use on their air intakes, it is going to suck leaf and grass clippings. Especially on mine due to mulching in the Fall.

Interesting ideas though.

Tankman

I pretty much gave up on it!

I use the Kohler power to grind my leaves. (I don't rake a single leaf. I grind them all up and let them mulch into the yard).

When I used the Onans, all I did was lean over and brush debris from the screen. Unless you add what would essentially be a snorkel similar to what swamp mudders use on their air intakes, it is going to suck leaf and grass clippings. Especially on mine due to mulching in the Fall.

Interesting ideas though.

"Snorkel similar to what swamp mudders use on their air intakes" or the air intakes we used on some of our tactical USMC off-the-road equipment.

Might be interesting! Worth giving some thought. :eusa-think:

Edited by Tankman

SousaKerry

Most of your deflectors look similar to what has been used on combines for years. Those engines operate in some of the dustiest environments you have ever seen. Older machines used ducting and large surface area screens. Most modern ones use a rotating screened drum the idea being that the screened drum keeps itself clean via center fugal force.

pacer

Snorkel air intakes and problems with chaff on the shrouds reminded me of a similar problem I had, only in a different area.

My D-180 would not get a hint of debris on the shroud but would suck gobs into the air filter as it was mounted on the motor in its factory position. I would have to blow it off after every mowing - especially later into the summer when the grass tended to get drier. After some deliberation - and poking around in the scrap metal box, I came up with this solution. A piece of 1 1/2" exhaust pipe welded up to remote the air filter out from under the hood, it works GREAT. I can go a couple seasons without the filter showing any sign of collecting chaff.

post-9681-0-31264500-1376750376.jpg

• Like 1

Brian K WheelHorse

Snorkel air intakes and problems with chaff on the shrouds reminded me of a similar problem I had, only in a different area.

My D-180 would not get a hint of debris on the shroud but would suck gobs into the air filter as it was mounted on the motor in its factory position. I would have to blow it off after every mowing - especially later into the summer when the grass tended to get drier. After some deliberation - and poking around in the scrap metal box, I came up with this solution. A piece of 1 1/2" exhaust pipe welded up to remote the air filter out from under the hood, it works GREAT. I can go a couple seasons without the filter showing any sign of collecting chaff.

Wow - that's a cool setup!