Sign in to follow this  
1964 704

Carb Issues with 64 704

Martin

just reading through this thread again, you said you pulled the head. used a new gasket or old? i always make a point of retorqueing the head bolts after an initial run and the engine has returned to cold temp. then check again after 5 hours or so......

not sure if you checked torques or not, not really sure how much time the engine has been running, sounds like not very much. 

just thought i would throw that out there, might not be related to your problem but who knows?

one other thing on head gaskets:  ive had success reusing old head gaskets that are still in one piece and look undamaged, just painting them both sides with silver paint. never had one leak and they work as good as a new one.

good point richard on the cap......

Edited by Martin

1964 704

Thanks for the fuel cap issue Anglo, it has a brand new one.

Martin, you have a great point, the head gasket is new, but i never re-torqued the head bolts. that makes good sense. I will tinker with this tomorrow and get back. 

Thanks again for all the help.

Dan

boovuc

And after that retorque of the head, take a close look at the govener assembly. When they are out of adjustment or a spring is loaded with gunk they can cause what you describe and just the reverse. (No full throttle until hot).

jrc0528

Dan,

Approx how long will it idle once you remove the fuel line from the carb?  Reading your posts is sounds to be fairly quickly.  There should be enough fuel in the bowl to idle for a couple minutes no load once the line is disconnected.  If it's dying much quicker than that (< 30 seconds to 1 minute) then I'd say the fuel bowl was nearly empty and that's the reason for the poor running.I'd suggest removing the bowl & float and verify that the float doesn't have any fuel in it and is correctly adjusted.

Jim

1964 704

I will double check the fuel issue Jim, (hey I just noticed that you are local, where abouts are you located in NEO?) but I am not sure how long it ran, it seemed like a minute or so, but I was busy worrying about the fuel coming out of the pump, and didn't really pay attention to how long it ran without the fuel line connected. I originally thought the issue was in the carb, since it appears to be a fuel starvation issue. I have had the carb off numerous times, and did not notice any fuel in the float, but once again I wasn't looking at that. As for the float being correctly adjusted, I think it is, but am not 100%. The folks where I buy my parts tell me that the float is not an issue....

These are great suggestions.

Thanks for all the help.

Dan

jrc0528

You are fairly close...  I live near East Liverpool and work in Salem.

1964 704

I travel to Leetonia every Friday, which is right next to Salem. We should try to connect up.