Wheelhorsestory

Early 1955 Ride-Away Stop Button Mystery has been solved !

Wheelhorsestory

A mystery to myself and many collectors is the unusual kill switch on the very early Ride-Aways.  Where did it come from?  Well, Clay Brooks was kind enough to send me several pictures of his original switch for me to reference during my research. After about 40 hours of research I have discovered the source. I am 100% confident in the accuracy of my findings. Believe it or not, the stop button was actually used on prewar bicycle tank horns.  It was manufactured by the Delta Electric Company of Marion, Indiana. During this era, bicycles often had simulated gas tanks which had a battery operated horn inside the tank. The push button is what Elmer and Cecil must have found on scraped bicycles in the local scrap yards. The reason I believe that they installed used switches is because all of the post war Delta bicycle horns have a concave button which is different than the convex button used on the prewar bikes. As you know, the tractor in question was manufactured in 1955. I also believe that the oval, brass mounting plate was manufactured by the Ponds (please note that I am not 100% confident on who made the mounting plate, but Clay is kind enough to send me a template) so the switch would fit the tractor application. Keep in mind that these prewar Delta bicycle horns are fairly expensive on Ebay, but since the little switch is over 60 years old, I don't know of any alternative sources. I hope this information makes you as glad as I am. If anyone can contradict my findings, I relish your results as my goal is to provide accurate information.

Here is some company information from Wikipedia.

The Delta Electric Company was an American electronics manufacturer formed in 1913 in Marion, Indiana (after moving from Chicago, Illinois) that produced lanterns, flashlights, automotive and bicycle lighting, battery tubes, horns, horn buttons, light switches, other battery-powered electrical parts,[2] and bilge pumps.[3]

Delta was purchased in 1965 by the Novo Industrial Corporation.[1][4] One of Novo Industrial Corp.'s subsidiary companies, King Bee Manufacturing Co.,[5] was moved to Marion, and its line of automotive lighting and safety equipment, including headlamps, safety lights, directional lights, mirrors, and reflectors for trucks, buses, trailers, and farm tractors, was merged into the Delta line of products.[1]

United Air Cleaner (UAC) was a division of Nova Industrial Corp. that produced air cleaners.[3]

Delta Electric was a division of Novo Industrial Corp. until 1968 when Novo became part of United Filtration Corp.[1] Delta continued to operate as a division of United Filtration.[1][6] After selling off the line of bicycle accessories, Delta continued to produce accessories for the automotive industry such as truck side-view mirrors and various automotive switches.[1] By 1976 the company's main line had become warning buzzers for fire and security alarms.[1]

Halle Industries Inc. had acquired Delta[6][7] in 1977, and on March 31, 1978, shut down production of Delta Electric due to losing contracts for their smoke detector alarms to Japanese imports.[1]

• Like 6

Eriks Red horse herd

:thumbs: Nice job Thank you Mike!

stevebo

Great information !! Now...... gotta find a few....

Hammerhead

I need one of those switches for my early production RJ35 with that same shaped hole in the hood! KJ

AMC RULES

:wwp:

55rj35jr

Good to know thanks for the info can you post some pictures? 

dcrage

The first bike we had as kids had a none functioning button on the "simulated gas tank" -- Never had a clue what it was for -- Guess I know now

AMC RULES

A couple picts I found and saved. 

post-3498-0-48882400-1378123774.jpg

post-3498-0-87584200-1378123793.jpg

buckrancher

Craig thats not a original stop button that one was made by a member here

Brian

Edited by buckrancher

VinsRJ

Craig thats not a original stop button that one was made by a member here

Brian

+2 / Brian speaks wise...