njm1987

Wheel Horse GT-1642 Work Horse

njm1987

Hello everyone, I have finally joined Red Square after several weeks of reading posts and looking at the awesome pictures everyone posts of their WH’s.  I guess you could say I need a place where I can talk to people who have the same “addiction†as me because I can tell you my wife is about ready to make me move out to the garage if I don’t stop talking about WH’s to her.  :roll:

Anyway, I just wanted to post my summer project I just completed two weeks ago.  My dad gave me a 1983 Wheel Horse GT-1642 Work Horse back in May. He didn’t have any use for it sitting around his house after he stole the deck off it for his 520 (I owe my dad and my uncle for getting me hooked on Wheel Horses).  The tractor was in pretty rough shape so I figured I would give it a go and see how I could do restoring the old beast.  I completely stripped it down and got the frame and wheels painted just in time for the big show in Aredntsville.  I put the rusty sheet metal back on the frame so I had it to ride around the grounds.  The next week I stripped it back down to the wheels and chassis.  I sand blasted all the sheet metal down to bare metal so I have a fresh rust free surface to work with.  Once all the body prep work was done, I primed it with Rustoleum rust prohibiting primer and then shot it with Rustoleum Smoke Grey oil based enamel.  I know the color is a darker than the way they came from South Bend but I liked the color on the tractor.  I ordered new decals from Redo Your Horse, which the quality is absolutely amazing!!  After some wet sanding and buffing I assembled it back together, stickered it, installed a new seat, and I have been using is to pull my lawn sweep after I mow with the 520. It’s a blast to drive.

This is an awesome forum site!!!  Thanks for letting me share!!

post-11353-0-06449000-1376019611.jpg

post-11353-0-97638200-1376020913.jpg

post-11353-0-14844900-1376020953.jpg

post-11353-0-82447300-1376020972.jpg

post-11353-0-12487700-1376021055.jpg

• Like 9

AMC RULES

Resto really does look great...nice work. :handgestures-thumbsup:   

neil

Now that looks nice

Welcome to the forum & the addiction

welderman85

Great work I like the color I just painted my Lt1137 that same color I like it better that stock

546cowboy

Nice work. I did a GT 1848 last year myself. It was in similar condition when I got it. Sat outside it's entire life and was more brown than grey.

post-1334-0-09146600-1376045094.jpg

post-1334-0-48667400-1376045115_thumb.jp

• Like 3

Hodge71

Hi my name is Jeff and I am a Wheel Horse addict.......... :ychain:  Hope you enjoy your time here.....Your resto looks great!!!!! :bow-blue:

KATO

Welcome to :rs: Their is no cure but more Wheel Horses help ...have fun

Wishin4a416

That looks Great! I do like those Silver ones.

kaiser

that's one good looking work horse.

jackhammer

njm1987

thats a nice work of art you have there.

njm1987

Thanks everyone!!  I think next week I am going to blast and repaint the dozer blade I have for it. That is an absolutely correct statement, there is no cure... :handgestures-thumbsup:

leeave96

Looks great!!!!

papaglide

Real nice work that you did there...looks REAL good! Welcome to the forum!

sned

Those wheels are extra purdy!

Marv

Welcome to the square. Great looking tractor. Addiction cure is admit it and get more. Well maybe it's no cure but makes one feel good.

Marvin

• Like 1

Sparky

Real nice job! I have a GT-1642 (motors been swapped) and I love the color scheme of the Workhorse series.

I was very happy to see you didn't paint it red.

Mike............

Jake Kuhn

:WRS:

njm1987

Real nice job! I have a GT-1642 (motors been swapped) and I love the color scheme of the Workhorse series.

Mike............

Mike,

Thanks! I wanted to keep it unique and somewhat original, I had many people after me to paint it red. If you don't mind me asking what for engine did you swap in?  I believe the Briggs is starting to reach the end of it's life so I think a swap is going to be on the list for the winter project.

Wheel-N-It

Glad you stayed original with the colors. Good work. Check on having the Briggs overhauled. That is probably a better way to go unless you find a freshly rebuilt Kohler twin. Unless of course you install a new Honda.

Sparky

Mike............

Mike,

Thanks! I wanted to keep it unique and somewhat original, I had many people after me to paint it red. If you don't mind me asking what for engine did you swap in?  I believe the Briggs is starting to reach the end of it's life so I think a swap is going to be on the list for the winter project.

Mine has a Kohler Magnum 10 that was previosly in a Wheel Horse. Its sounds like a small engine but its strong as can be, I'm very happy with it.

Mike.............

Tankman

Great restoration work gentlemen. I added the dial-a-height and didn't care for the all gray.

Used Rustoleum Regal Red for the belt guards. Coarse skateboard tape for the foot rests. Works and holds up great, inexpensive too!

Hey! Red is for the blood we shed.

WorkHorse_Red2-www.jpg

• Like 1

Amcwheel85

That tractor looks perfect! I like the gray and red of the work horses..