chev0545

pto chirp

chev0545

what would cause a chirp or squeal when pto is first engaged

thanks

rmaynard

Mechanical PTO or electric?

groundhog47

:eusa-think: If the PTO has a break, it some time squeals, but usually while  shuttin  down. :twocents-02cents:  It could also be outside bearing which only revolves with PTO on. Internal needle bearing is "revolved in" by crank race when PTO off. Check to see if your clutch ring is down to rivets or down to face of clutch plate. Last but not least ?belt slippage? If outer edge of belt is too far worn may not be fittin where should. Hope of some help to ya! :)

Jeff-C175

Mine is non-electric... regular PTO... if I just 'throw' the handle forward to engage, belt will squeal.  If I engage slowly, it won't...

• Like 1

clem

It's easier on the belt if you throttle back some & engage pto slowly then re-apply throttle after pto engages completely.

• Like 2

SousaKerry

What are you powering with the PTO, mower deck?  What is the condition of the belt?  Is it properly tensioned?

Electro12WH

pto chirp = food abreviation

• Haha 1

Kelly

Sounds more like the belt is squealing 

Ed Kennell

Martins Kettle Cooked are No. 1 in Pa.

• Like 2

Free Range

Anyone have a picture of the PTO face to face? I would like to know what it's suppose to look like, is there suppose to be some kind of material in there, like a clutch, or brake pad, or is it metal to metal? Mine looks like it's just metal to metal, I don't see any rivets or wear marks, it looks pretty smooth. I have trouble with it slipping when mowing if I get into any grass that's a little to tall or thick, and I mean just a little, I have to really stay on top of my mowing or it just don't want to cut. 

Marv

Take the outer portion off and look at the clutch facing. It is a fiber type facing and may be held on to the backing plate with rivets. Some are bonded to the plate. If the clutch facing material is worn out you will  get slippage under load.

Marvin

Hodge71

Martins Kettle Cooked are No. 1 in Pa.

As good as Martins are...I have to argue the point for Middleswarth Barbecue especially in the kettle cooked variety. Or possibly Gibbles plain....something about the Gibbles being cooked in lard....awesome flavor!!

Hydro

Sometimes it's just a matter of putting more pressure on the clutch by simply adjusting the trunnion at the end of the clutch rod.

Burnerman

It is not a metal to metal contact. There is a disc of friction material on the non moving engine side of the PTO clutch. 

Jon Paulsen
On 8/7/2013 at 10:25 AM, Electro12WH said:

The joke you told ten years ago gave a shipmate a good laugh today :lol:

peter lena

@chev0545 can you move the PTO TO MULE drive belt by hand ?  that slight chirp / drag  is telling you , of rotational drag , personally only slowly easily engage that PTO  lever . don't know what condition this deck is in , but  deck maintenance , and a hi temp grease is vital  for smooth easy operation . there are 10 bearings involved , 6 on deck 2 on mule drive  2  in PTO cone drive , I  sealed , 1 a needle bearing . would bet its collective drag , have to look and verify what pulley is hanging up , pete