Sign in to follow this  
eibbed

856 won't say in third gear

eibbed

She goes in gear as she should, but when I'm driving, she will for sure come out of gear.

pond195520032003

this is a fairly common problem, the detent ball bearings and pin are usually worn or a weak spring! there are detents in the shifter rail and the ball pops in it when shifted! when they get worn, the preasure couses it to pop out of gear B) TT or someone will chime in here to better explain it to you :whistle: B)

TT

You pretty much nailed it, Greg. :whistle:

The main reason third gear is infamous for being the one these old 3 speeds pop out of is because it's a "face" gear.

When the shifter fork slides 2nd/high gear towards the input shaft gear, teeth machined into the side of the gear lock over the end of the input shaft gear, thus making it a one to one ratio with the input shaft. If the ends of the teeth on the input gear get rounded off, they will actually try to force the 2nd/high gear away from the input shaft. (since the sharp edges and nice parallel surfaces are gone.) The spring that applies pressure to the detent ball on the shift fork shaft weakens over time and can no longer hold the fork in position.

The main cause of this problem is repetitive shifting between second and third gear without completely stopping the tractor. (we all do it. B) )

The pin that was mentioned (installed within the detent spring and positoned between the two detent balls) is actually an "idiot-proofer" added around 1962 or 1963 by WH engineers to limit the possibility of both shifter forks moving simultaneously.

To fix it correctly, a good input shaft and 2nd/high gear would need installed, along with a new detent spring and detent balls.

perry

my 604 use to do that. i just swapped the rearend out with another one.

a dime a dozen & quick and easy :banghead: .

eibbed

Perry,

I have a Lawn Ranger that I am going to part out. Will the transmission work on my 856?

Dave

Kelly

It should be the same, you may have to change the hubs, other than that should bolt right in, But I should state it needs to be a horizontal shaft tractor not the newwer rangers, but you probably knew that.