Sign in to follow this  
timo4352

My 310-8 preservation

timo4352

I started a preservation effort on my new to me 310-8 today. I'm calling it a preservation rather than a restoration because I'm not ready yet to dive into a total teardown and rebuild. I like to tinker with stuff as much as anybody, I guess, but I want to keep this tractor running and working during the process.

So I pulled off some sheet metal, found more rust on the backsides too - so I'm glad I'm getting to this now.

Found a place on the gas tank bracket where two bolts were missing - also glad to find this now rather than have trouble later. Next I'll do some more degreasing and getting the rusty stuff ready to repaint. I didn't find any real bad surprises today so I say I'm off to a good start. I'll get some pics up soon for all the picture junkies.

Thanks for stopping in.

Tim

9438781477_a62147e7bd_z.jpg

9438780871_6848afb83d_z.jpg9438781001_54b3164c72_z.jpg9438781191_087bb95a0c_z.jpg

9438780801_3346b36f73_z.jpg9438781337_ec64e0efb4_z.jpg

Edited by timo4352
  • Like 2

horsesaver98

good job keep it up and nice horse :handgestures-thumbupright:

AMC RULES

:text-coolphotos:  After you remove the rust...how are you going to reattach that paint?    :) 

• Like 1

timo4352

:text-coolphotos:  After you remove the rust...how are you going to reattach that paint?    :) 

Yeah that all came off in one big sheet - crazy :o

• Like 1

tunahead72

I'll be watching this one closely, Tim.  I have an '86 310-8, very similar (yours looks to be an '85).

Do you have manuals for the engine/trans/tractor/mower?  They're available, and can be very helpful.

By the way, I'm not sure I'm seeing the photos clearly -- are there holes drilled into the clutch pedal?

Have fun!

timo4352

Yes, there were holes drilled and a piece of rubber bolted through on the pedals. I got rid of that.

There was rubber matting glued to the footrests too - it just trapped water underneath it seems, and caused rust to form there. They are gone now too. I've got the other owner's manuals, but still need to look for one for the deck. I do need to find service and parts breakdown manuals for everything yet. I think mine's an '85 - still gotta check those numbers for sure.

Tim

leeave96

You can find a manual for your deck on this web site.

Looks like you got an electric lift - NICE!!!!!!!

I believe that tractor is a genuine keeper.

bitten

Tim

Do you still have the original 3 amp charging system and if so how does it handle the electric lift?

timo4352

Tim

Do you still have the original 3 amp charging system and if so how does it handle the electric lift?

I'm not sure. I assume the electrical has not been changed. The lift handles the deck just fine - and it's this extra heavy recycler deck too.

I havent tried the snowblower yet but I feel sure it will lift it fine also. I don't think the PO would have had it any other way.

mjeff278

That is a good looking tractor and I have to say out of all my horses the 310-8 is my favorit.

timo4352

Out with the old in with the new...

9507071186_81475a9306_z.jpg

Well, this may be the shortest restore thread ever.

I've got everything done pretty much to my satisfaction now. Painted the hood and side panels with Rustoleum spray bombs to sqwelch the rust problems. I resisted the urge to buy new decals, and taped them before painting. And I painted the underside of the deck and the mulching baffle with POR15. I fit some scotchbrite type floor scrubber pads in between the deck and the baffle to keep the crap from getting in there - I'll report back on how that worked out after the cutting season is over and I clean up the deck for the winter storage. I've got a couple little spots of rust that I missed on the seat pan and I'll either just touch them up or pull the pan again and paint the whole thing - I'm sure it'll look better that way. After getting the blades sharpened and the deck cleaned out she cut MUCH better. Mulches very well - nice small peices. I replaced the fuel line and added an in-line filter. There was no filter on there :scratchead:

Now that the tractor is up and running again I'll go over the snow cab - I think there is a little welding to do and some fresh paint is in order there as well.

I found the Hitching Post hitch at home depot for 28 bucks. It's pretty cool - you get a ball mount and pin mount, and the pin stores on the back side of the mount. It just bolts on with one 1/2 inch bolt through the original WH hitch hole. Hooks for strap or chains too. Can't beat the price in my opinion.

9507084060_9b02465d07_z.jpg

9504280379_42db3b57e2_z.jpg

9504292899_54de35f6fe_z.jpg

9504297013_a7e7249bc3_z.jpg

9504489593_8772287ca2_z.jpg

9504485679_b561ae470c_z.jpg

stevebo

Very nice job !! That is the first 310 that I have seen with electric lift!

timo4352

I learned something new about my tractor today.

While cutting the grass I stopped to pick up some sticks - I disengaged the PTO, shifted into neutral and set the parking brake. Butt when I get off the seat (pun intended), the motor stops. sick back down - motor comes back on. So I check the under seat switch - OK.

I check the clutch switch - OK. All else looks fine. Battery is charged fine.... turns out one PTO switch wire came off because the throttle cable hits up against it when I throttle up or down.

Lesson learned today - all them switches are interconnected - if somethin' aint right check them all first.  :text-blondmoment:

Tim

• Like 1

timo4352

Put the cab together today. Kinda cozy in there. I'm not wishing the good weather away...but....I'm looking foward to some snow!

:happy-jumpeveryone:

9534075846_91fd1f9b1c_o.jpg

9531295309_4c7cb6eda7_o.jpg

Jeff-C175

Look great Tim!  Your use of the scotch brite pads was what I was thinking when I talked about the rubber stall mat pieces.  I think that scotch brite idea is gonna work just fine!

Edited by Jeffpicks

timo4352

Went one step farther today and hooked up the snowblower. I had some tinkering to do to get things the way I liked them, so I'm glad I didn't wait for a snow day when I'd be under pressure to git 'er done. The whole setup is a pretty easy process after you know what to do.

Man - when I engage the PTO this thing really flies! I know it will do some serious snow throwing! I'm not ready for cold weather yet, but when it comes I'm gonna have some fun!

I think I have one bearing on the jack shaft that needs replaced - should be easy enough.

The whole neighborhood thinks I'm nuts! - but who cares? I'm sure I'll have the last laugh when they are still shoveling a foot of snow long after I'm done. 

Who's laughing now - huh?

Tim

9543581276_cce93c47da_z.jpg9543576394_a4b651e836_z.jpg

leeave96

WOW!  Get some weights and 2 link chains and you're ready for some deep snow!

timo4352

Got them, and snow tires too!   :occasion-snowman:

• Like 1