Sign in to follow this  
Vinylguy

Best Utility trailer Under $1000

Vinylguy

I have been wanting to purchase a trailer for Horse hauling since going to the big show,

tractor supply sells a wood floor smaller trailer with a drop down ramp for around $800

But before I buy I decided to ask for opinions and guidance so I can get the most trailer for 

my budget. Thanks in advance.

Hodge71

I guess for a "big box" trailer its one of the better ones for the cost. I have a 6x12 picked out from a local trailer dealer that costs 1200 but blows the TSC/Lowes/Home Depot trailers away.

Martin

terry, check out h and h trailers.....

http://www.hhtrailer.com

i got mine through midway trailer sales in ottawa il heres their current inventory.........

http://midway.cmititestbank.com/SearchResults.asp?Category=all&Make=all&ModelCriteria=Contains&MinPrice=all&MaxPrice=all&Search=Search&MinYear=all&MaxYear=all&Location=Ottawa&Construction=all&LivingQuarters=all&SortBy=SalePrice&page=1&recs=10

I am really happy with my car trailer and they do smaller utility trailers as well.

frames are stronger, finish is better, they are powdercoated vs cheap enamel spray that just doesnt last.

i have a friend who has one of the farm and fleet or tsc type trailers and the few times ive used it the quality is no where near that of the h and h. if you want something to last i wouldnt go the farm and fleet/tsc way, but thats just my opinion.

rmaynard

I have a 6 x 12 single-axle trailer that I purchased used. It was originally from TSC. The make is Carry-On. It is okay as far a utility trailers is concerned, but it I were to do it all again, I would spend the extra money and buy one with a dual axle. The main reason is backing. With the combination of my Ford E150 van and the single axle configuration, the trailer does not back well. It does not recover quickly enough from a turning maneuver, and it takes several tries before you can get where you want to go. On the other hand, I used to tow a 23 foot travel trailer with dual axles that I could back on a dime.

As far as price, your best bet is to look for something pre-owned. You will get a better trailer for a lower price, and should be able to keep your cost under $1000.00 easily.

And another piece of advice. In Maryland we have to get a trailer inspected and then pay tax on it in order to get Maryland tags that cost $102.00 per year. So I register it in Maine. No sales tax, no inspection, and a FIVE year tag is $75.00.

prondzy

if your planning on running down the interstate I would definitely choose a trailer with 14"-16" car tires. The smaller ones work great down the road but at 70mph the bigger wheel turns less which means less bearing wear. Just my :twocents-02cents:

squonk

Yes bigger tires. I used to work at an R.V. dealer and those little boat trailer size tires would explode on the interstate all the time. Less RPM'S!

Edited by squonk

AMC RULES

U-Haul has cheap daily, and weekend rates...

and you won't have to look at it sitting around the house when not in use.

Got one for the big show Thurs morning, returned it just before closing Sat evening...

ended up charging me for one day, and waived the additional insurance I got too.   :handgestures-thumbsup:  

post-3498-0-54883900-1375530273_thumb.jp

• Like 2

baerpath

And another piece of advice. In Maryland we have to get a trailer inspected and then pay tax on it in order to get Maryland tags that cost $102.00 per year. So I register it in Maine. No sales tax, no inspection, and a FIVE year tag is $75.00.

We do the same in NY, a one yr NY registration is more than a 5yr plate from Maine

I'd pass on the tractor supply stuff if you plan on going distance. For a grand you should be able to pickup a 14-16ft landscape trailer with 15 inch tires 

Challenger

As a non-Maine resident, how does one go about registering a trailer in that state?  Can this be done by mail only?  No visit to a Main DMV office?  No proof of residency?

squonk

U-Haul has cheap daily, and weekend rates...

and you won't have to look at it sitting around the house when not in use.

Got one for the big show Thurs morning, returned it just before closing Sat evening...

ended up charging me for one day, and waived the additional insurance I got too.   :handgestures-thumbsup:  

The boys in Gettysburg must of called ahead. "Hello Irving? This is Clem. there's a guy heading your way that rented a trailer from you. We wouldn't take the trailer from him. He was pissed but kept his cool. Said something about running over some marathon runners. give the guy a break will ya?" :)

Edited by squonk

stevebo

Not for nothing but I have done the used trailer rebuild (both open and enclosed) and bought new tsc trailers and there is a piece of mind in knowing you have a NEW trailer with NEW bearings, tires and lights !! Be careful not to get fooled into thinking you are saving with a used trailer. You will end up either replacing worn tires or lights etc. The other thing I would stay away from is any trailer with brakes. Not sure what the biggest size you can get without them but I think at least 5x10 or 6x10/12. IMO the 5x8 TSC with the gate is perfect for hauling 1 tractor with attachments like you have (520). 

baerpath

This is who I used very quick and helpful

STAAB AGENCY
Shirley St. Pierre / Statutory Agent
P.O. Box 942 / 259 Goose Hill Road
Jefferson, ME 04348
800-648-8805 Tel.
207-549-7541 Tel.
207-549-7638 Fax
207-549-5138 Fax.
staab@staabagency.com

Here's an outline of the attached documents that were faxed to me today:

Staab Cover - The Staab agency is a Statutory Agent that represents out-of-state individuals and companies at the Maine DMV in order to obtain a Maine license plate for your trailer. Maine is a 15 year title state. If your trailer is older than 15yrs, all you need to show is a Bill of Sale or a prior registration. If it is newer than 15 years and more than 3000lbs dry weight, you must provide them with a copy of the existing title already in your name, or an original title to be titled in Maine. Under 3000lbs is exempt. You must provide them with
1. Phone Number, Date of Birth if an individual customer, or Federal ID if a company.
2. Correct amount of money (Check or Visa/MC accepted)
3. The Power of Attorney for filled out, signed, AND NOTARIZED (paid by customer)
* Maine trailer plates expire on the last day of February for the year in which you register. The company will notify you prior to the expiration.

Staab POA - The Power of Attorney document. This allows Staab to act on your behalf in the State of Maine to license the trailer. The fees collected also apply to the titling of the vehicle in Maine. this document DOES NOT give them the ability to sell, lease, trade, utilize, or dispose of vehicles. POA fee = $20.00

Staab New Registration Form - Your registration will have your name at the top, with the Staab Agency's Maine address.

Staab Charges - Fee schedule for going through their agency.

Staab Annual Program - Fee schedule for registering annually.

Staab Long Term Program - Fee shedule for multi-year registration of your trailer.
Example:
5yr (1-9 trailers) $87/each
8yr (1-9 trailers) $138/each
12yr (1-9 trailers) $206/each

Same Day with Overnight service: 1-4 plates $20.00 per plate. 5+ plates $10 per plate.

Lastly, I asked the very helpful lady if I EVER need to bring my trailer to Maine to be inspected. She replied that MAINE DOES NOT REQUIRE TRAILER INSPECTIONS.

Martin

only trouble with looking for used around here is you got to be quick. not much comes up for sale on cl around here and lasts more than half a day if its in decent condition. i just went through this the last 6 months or so and gave up. unless you know somebody who has something decent for sale its almost impossible to even get to look at it before its gone. theres plenty for sale, all different sizes, but most of them aren't fit to even tow empty, and everybody thinks they are worth as much as new sometimes.

new, yeah you pay more, but if you look after it then it is worth the extra. and stevebo brought up a good point about having to spend on it before its ready to use.

as far as using hire trailers, what do you do if you get a call on a tractor thats cheap and you need to get a trailer quick..............

but its late and its past closing time?

Edited by Martin
  • Like 1

Ken B

If you aren't using a Tractor Supply Company trailer  as a landscaper (everyday abuse) you'll be fine with one.  Is it a 5x8 you are looking at?

I agree with Steve, GO NEW. Who knows what kind of abuse a used trailer has been thru such as over loading or lack of maintenance.

Edited by Ken B

Ken B

My registration in Maine was done through Maine Motor Transport Association. http://www.mmta.com/page/2-737/trailer-registrations

Back in my hot rod days a bunch of us in my town registered our race cars in Maine. All we had to do was dial up Maine, talk to Hazel and Bada bing the plates were in the mailbox within a week, no questions asked...Simply amazing.Yeah, that caught up to all of us after a yr. or so when it seemed every other car in town had Maine plates on it!. Maybe some things have changed and its okay to register in Maine if you don't have property there?

Back in the day our DMV was run by the Gestapo, Combat boots and all. We'd do anything to avoid them. Ain't that right Jeff and Steve? 

stevebo

I remember Big Jim bringing my first car (the Dart) in for an inspection and we actually watched the inspector place the jack under the front tie rod and proceed to jack the car up and broke the tie rod. He then failed the car for a broken tie rod !!!!!!!!!!!!! For those of you who knew Big Jim (my dad) you can only imagine how that seen played out after he denied doing it. It was certainly an all day event with anything at the old DMV back in the day. You would go there in the morning and wait until they checked your paperwork and gave you a number, then go home and if you were lucky you could time it just right and come back in x amount of hours just before your number comes up.. lol

Vinylguy

After reading all the good advice I forgot to think about how I would use my trailer.

Realistically It will travel about 25 miles a week to mow the kids yard and maybe the occasional 300 mile round trip to pick a

Wheel horse find. then once a year to the big show and a few other shows as we get time to attend. If you dont have a trailer

with you can miss out.  may pull it an average 2500 miles a year. Biggest load would be a 520 with blower. I am thinking

5 x 8 would be the smallest I could get by with. Seems most of them have 13 inch tires. Not sure on the heat rating.

I agree with you Maynard on the towing behind a full size van. They can be a pain to back but I will not use it often enough 

for that to be a real issue. Just have limited trailer budget at this time and tired of borrowing and returning my 

brothers M/C trailer which has no ramps and is a pain to load and unload. 

Thanks for all your help guys. I value your experience and appreciate your input. 

• Like 1

rmaynard

Not to hijack the thread with info other than the original question, but I think it's important for those that don't know about trailer registration in Maine, to have important info on how to save money. All the money spent on fees in some states could allow you to buy another Wheel Horse.

Here in Maryland, the tax capital of the United States, the scenario for a used trailer goes like this. You purchase the trailer from a private buyer. If it still has tags, you can tow it home or to an inspection station after you have made the purchase, gotten the signed-over title, and a bill of sale. If the seller does not have tags or doesn't want you to use the ones he has, you have to go to the MVA with the title, bill of sale, and your drivers license and proof of insurance, even though the trailer is covered by the towing vehicle's insurance. You then plunk down $20.00 for a temporary inspection tag. Now you take the trailer to an inspection station where you have to pay a mandatory fee of $50.00 for them to make sure the tires are good and the lights work. Then with valid inspection certificate in hand, you head back to the MVA where you wait in line for about an hour to pay 6% of the book value or bill of sale price, whichever is more, plus $102.00 for the new tag and title.

In summary, I paid $750.00 for my trailer. Had I registered it in Maryland, I would have paid an additional $210.00 in taxes and fees. Having legally registered it in Maine, I paid $75.00 for 5 years. Over the last five years I have saved a lot of money.

AMC RULES

I didn't know this would be legal to do, not being a resident of Maine.  

Wonder why all trailers aren't registered there?     :confusion-shrug:

KC9KAS

We do the same in NY, a one yr NY registration is more than a 5yr plate from Maine

I'd pass on the tractor supply stuff if you plan on going distance. For a grand you should be able to pickup a 14-16ft landscape trailer with 15 inch tires 

Yeah, how do you register something in a state if you don't live there?

nylyon

I have an inexpensive 4'x8' utility trailer with drop tailgate from Agway.  It had only an expanded metal floor, so I went and purchased pressure treated wood and built a wood floor for it.  It's very handy for tractors, but honestly since getting the pickup truck the trailer is mainly used to hold the pickup cap when it's not on the truck.

rmaynard

I didn't know this would be legal to do, not being a resident of Maine.  

Wonder why all trailers aren't registered there?     :confusion-shrug:

Take a look at any UPS tractor trailer going down the road. The tractor is registered in one state but the trailers are usually all registered in Maine. UPS is just one example. More and more trailers are being registered that way. I would have started doing it 40 years ago if I would have known about it. I didn't learn about it until about 8 years ago.

• Like 1

tunahead72

... The other thing I would stay away from is any trailer with brakes... 

Curious, Steve -- why?

Wmanning416

Actually next time you are on the highway count the number of tractor trailers with Maine plates. Costs the same amount for their plates as a small trailer. Trucking companies all over the U.S. Register trailers in Maine to save $$. everyone is doing the same here in Taxachusetts.