Sign in to follow this  
fordsnwheelhorses'

what do you think is the best way to go?

fordsnwheelhorses'

I have a 1978-1979 wh c101 and I'm not sure if I want to do a restoration or keep it the way it is so I'm open to what y'all think.

Jeff-C175

Is it a 'worker' ?  or a 'toy' ?

I would say if it's a worker, just do what you have to do to keep it running and 'preserved' in it's present state.

If it's a 'toy' and you know yourself well enough to be sure you can COMPLETE the restoration rather than rip it apart and start the job and then not finish and eventually lose parts because they are strewn around the barn... (yeah, I'm kinda speaking from experience here! SOMEDAY I will finish the VW) then go ahead and restore it...

In the end, we can't decide for you.  What do YOU want to do ?

Edited by Jeffpicks
  • Like 1

leeave96

Both!

fordsnwheelhorses'

Well its a worker and a toy that's why I'm having Trouble Trying to decide what to do. If I do a restore I can't use it anymore and if I don't the rust gets worse.

Lagersolut

Both!

I just got done with one ( C-101 ) - scroll down threads in this section of the forum ( also my Avatar ) you-ll see it from tranny tore out to completion - it's not the best restore in the world,  it's far from the worst - I originally started on it with intentions of working it like I always did - after it was 80-90% done I changed my mind- it's going to be my wagon tractor only for hauling produce out of the garden to the house , checking my hog traps and things like that - light duty so to speak-  I'm still not 100% done, still need the reflectors on the rear fenders and the dash plate done - haven't had the time plus I'm enjoying my new tractor - if you're anything like me after it gets all prettied up and fixed you'll want to keep her that way .

P S

I put a mower on it one time- mowed the yard - got it dusty and it was a unanimous decision by me and the wife - no more - 34 years of good service I'm give'n her a rest.

Here's one of the pics

29lfua0.jpg

Edited by Golds-Red
  • Like 1

fordsnwheelhorses'

Great job on the Restoration! It looks great and your thread is what got me thinking about restoring mine that and the fact my grandpa gave it to me before he passed away.

• Like 1

Martin

Well its a worker and a toy that's why I'm having Trouble Trying to decide what to do. If I do a restore I can't use it anymore and if I don't the rust gets worse.

why not do a restore on it AND use it. you dont have to make it perfect, just fix all the loose/worn out stuff, give it some basic paint, alot of guys do the rattle cans, i like powdercoat myself (but that will add to the cost-unless you know somebody :) ). get a nice seat and tires, decals from Terry (vinylguy) to finish it off and enjoy it for what it was meant for. depending on what sort of condition tractor you start with, you could have some decent sort of worker for $500-$1000.

• Like 2

Jeff-C175

If my 175 looked that good, I don't think I would work it either!

This is mine which I've been 'tending to' since '92.  Just keeping up with maintenance and out of the rain.

post-10366-0-44014500-1370129197.jpg

I've thought about restoring, but she don't look too bad as-is all original.

• Like 4

Martin

i have restored (my way) my 1057 and for the amount of work and detail i put in, i dont want to work it and deal with cleaning it all up. i still drive it, and it gets dirty and dusty, just dont use it for cutting the lawn, digging in the garden or plowing snow etc.

but i built my c125 for working, i cut some cosmetic corners, mainly sheet metal straightness and fit, and not making the paint really nice, even though it looks almost as good as the ones i try to make nice. some of the sheetmetal is pitted with rust and you can see it up close, but it still looks like a nice tractor, and most people who see it still think its too nice to use. but i enjoy using this one, and plan on using it a bunch more as time goes on. i dont clean it other than a hose and wipe down every now and again. i will go to the c125 for seat time over any of the others i have rebuilt........

from now on if a tractor gets torn down for a rebuild im leaning toward making it only just nice enough to still use it.

MARTINS10572_zps6aa16b41.jpg

gallery_4321_61_808019.jpg

c125.....

post-4321-0-75750700-1375480503_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-98432800-1375481435_thumb.jp

Edited by Martin
  • Like 2

Lagersolut

I'm curious Martin ( before I go any further know I'm not a paint expert ) what are you spraying - the paint shop said Acrylic Enamel was old school so that's what I sprayed on top of epoxy primer .

You got that " shine " and showroom finish I was hoping for but didn't quite knock it out of the park .

Martin

almost all my paint is powder

red is ppg ih red polyester powder

white is  ifs powdercoatings oyster white powder

black on hood of c125 is ppg ih 60 black polyester powder

black on c125 engine tins is azko nobel JDF9T dull black powder

exhaust black is azko nobel 'mor-temp' hi heat powder

i used black engine enamel on the c125 engine and trans too if i remember correctly. (rattle can)

i dont use spray guns, all wet paint is rattle cans, but not very much, i think on the last 2 tractors, which would be these two, i used less than half a can of red and nearly all of it was on the c125. if i remember correctly the only part on the 1057 that isnt powder coated is the ignition coil, everything else was stripped down enough to powder coat.

Edited by Martin

oldredrider

It's a tractor. Tear it down, clean it up, fix the broken/worn stuff, paint it and put it back to work. That's what it was built for.

• Like 3

Lagersolut

almost all my paint is powder

red is ppg ih red polyester powder

white is  ifs powdercoatings oyster white powder

black on hood of c125 is ppg ih 60 black polyester powder

black on c125 engine tins is azko nobel JDF9T dull black powder

exhaust black is azko nobel 'mor-temp' hi heat powder

i used black engine enamel on the c125 engine and trans too if i remember correctly. (rattle can)

i dont use spray guns, all wet paint is rattle cans, but not very much, i think on the last 2 tractors, which would be these two, i used less than half a can of red and nearly all of it was on the c125. if i remember correctly the only part on the 1057 that isnt powder coated is the ignition coil, everything else was stripped down enough to powder coat.

Are you baking this powder coat on in " your "  shop ?  

I'm somewhat familiar with powder coat ....never knew you could get that luster/shine though .

Edited by Golds-Red

Martin

no, i work for a large powdercoater/surface finisher.......

(fringe benefits)

powdercoat is available in gloss ranges from flat to hi gloss. not a glass smooth finish (orange peel is evident), but gloss is definitely available if you need it. the hi gloss colors tend to not be as scratch resistant though.......

Edited by Martin
  • Like 1

can whlvr

restore.IMG_0509.jpg

• Like 1

Lagersolut

no, i work for a large powdercoater/surface finisher.......

(fringe benefits)

powdercoat is available in gloss ranges from flat to hi gloss. not a glass smooth finish (orange peel is evident), but gloss is definitely available if you need it. the hi gloss colors tend to not be as scratch resistant though.......

After seeing your tractors kinda wish I had that " Fringe "  benefit  - LOL   they both look great - I like the C series units so I'm partial to that 125 - thanks for the update on powder coating,  didn't know finishes like that were even possible with powder .

rwilson

I say restore. Even if it is a worker. Then you have a reason to clean it and keep it looking good.

• Like 1

welderman85

I do restore but also use them to me there tractors they were built to be used just like cars I restore I love to drive them and use them for there intended purpose

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

Fix the broken stuff and put it to work!!!

• Like 1

546cowboy

:text-+1:  I prefer to call mine refurbished and they are meant to be used not looked at.

• Like 1

Pullstart

rustoleum is a fair price to clean something up and touch it up when needed :handgestures-thumbupright: