Jake Kuhn

8 speed rebuild

Jake Kuhn

Hey Guys,

I am currently working on rebuilding an 8 speed I had as a spare. It has 1 1/8" axles with the 8 pinion diff. This is the first 8 speed I have done, I have only done 4 speeds so far, haven't had the guts to try a rj trans yet. :ychain:

I opened up the trans and it looked great inside! It is in great shape! The gears are super nice and there is not much rust if any inside! I soaked everything in mineral spirits and everything cleaned up great. The bearings are all pretty nice. One of the needle bearings came apart after being soaked so I might just replace all the needle bearings in the case to be safe. The needle bearings in the gears will stay, they are good enough. I still have to sandblast the case.  I sometimes glass bead the inside but this one is good enough, I just will blast the outside.  So I just need to blast the case. Probably order some bearings, and then see if I can put it back together. :)  I will just put a coat of primer on it and put it away. I have no use for it but wanted to see the inside of one. I got this trans off a tractor that was very cheap, and with the money I made off of selling whats left I can probably cover the cost of everything I used to rebuild this tranny. 

Here are pictures after everything has been cleaned up.

DSCN1558_zpsa0aa2cb3.jpg?t=1374970922

DSCN1559_zpsdf7aafd7.jpg?t=1374970917

DSCN1557_zps3be78dac.jpg?t=1374970920

• Like 2

WH-AG

Hey jake I got the part today I may be able to make it work. Are the 8 speeds the good pulling trannys?

Martin

thats great jake!

i have only done a 3 speed so far, but it was fun. i have an 8 i need to do and am looking forward to getting into it. much nicer than doing engines. 

groundhog47

Jake, am sure I'm not the only one amazed at your work and tenacity. Like you were, I am really curious about the inards and tremendously stevasaurus's video on the older 4 speed. A T-10 from a mustang is easy compared to that, can't imagine will ever get a spare but would really like to give it a go. Thanks for the inspiration! 

Edited by groundhog47

Wheelhorsedairyfarmer

Jake, I'm getting ready to work on the 8 speed on my c-141. Now I've got a question, which part in the pic is the hi/lo shift fork? I haven't torn my tranny apart yet, but getting ready to in the next few days!

stevasaurus

Jake, I have no idea why you are shying away from one of the 3 piece transmissions. :)   That trans looks to be in excellent shape...piece of cake my friend. :woohoo:

pfrederi

Jake, I'm getting ready to work on the 8 speed on my c-141. Now I've got a question, which part in the pic is the hi/lo shift fork? I haven't torn my tranny apart yet, but getting ready to in the next few days!

It is just to the left of the main shifter forks.

Jake Kuhn

Well here is a little bit of an update. The differential is back together, I blasted the hubs and pulleys. Also took the needle bearings out today so I can sandblast the case, I have taped over the 1533's after I took the picture. I am going to order all new bearings for the trans, but will wait until after charlotte show. Here are some pictures.  ~Jake

old bearings

DSCN1581_zpsed7a9e50.jpg?t=1375236718

diff back together

DSCN1582_zps7677a61f.jpg?t=1375236720

bearings out of the case

DSCN1580_zps26272cd3.jpg?t=1375236720

hubs, pulleys, and shifters bead blasted.

DSCN1579_zpsab774865.jpg?t=1375236721

• Like 1

Jake Kuhn

Got the case blasted this morning. Thats as far as I can go until I get new bearings which will probably be a few weeks. Here's a pic.

post-4240-0-30294500-1375290124_thumb.jp

• Like 3

W/H JUNKY

Hi again guy

Does any one know where i can find stevasaurus's video on rebuilding the trans. in my C81 i have seen it once before but can not find it now. I am putting it back together and cant seem to get the balls compressed and  put the fork back in all at once lol. Just need a few suggestions on how to do this. Thanks guys. Chris

dparke

Just sent you a PM with the link, Chris.

W/H JUNKY

Hi Jake

I just put my trans. together today i am just waiting for the

case gasket to come in from Toro. It was pretty easy especially after watching stevasaurus video.

The only question i have now is where he used the allen wrench to push the ball and spring over to get the shifting fork in. I had a metal plug in there that I had to tap out with a punch do you think I could just use silicone to plug this hole. I will post some images shortly. Thanks Chris

bowtiebutler956

Very nice work Jake! What happened to this project? Did you ever get it finished?

Matt :flags-texas:

Jake Kuhn

never got around to finishing it....its sitting in a box on a shelf right now. Have found other things that have caught my eye and haven't purchased any bearings for it. Just need bearings and it is ready to put back together.....hope to finish it this winter sometime.

stevasaurus

WH JUNKY...yes, you can just put a dab of silicone in that hole. :)

Jake...you mean you did not get the bearings for your birthday??? :bow-blue:

AMC RULES

For those bearings Jake?

Remember..no naughty, all nice. 

Xmas is just around the corner.   :handgestures-fingerscrossed:  

• Like 1

Jake Kuhn

well here is an old thread....Finally finished this one up last week

Here's the new bearings, and the gears after a quick clean up after sitting a long time...

post-4240-0-98922900-1423878382_thumb.jp

post-4240-0-53565900-1423878389_thumb.jp

Case cleaned up with new bearings installed

post-4240-0-71559500-1423878366_thumb.jp

ready to put the 2 halves together.

post-4240-0-01534700-1423878360_thumb.jp

done

post-4240-0-44322500-1423878374_thumb.jp

It recieved a coat of red paint today, but didn't get any pictures. This one is going to go in my c160 or c125 when I restore them, whichever comes first...probably one of the nicest 8 speeds I'll ever have, no gears had any wear.

Thanks, Jake

• Like 1

bowtiebutler956

Wow, almost a year an a half later it done!  :ychain:  Nice work Jake. :thumbs:

Matt

• Like 1